Downton Abbey - Season 3! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 51 Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)

Anyone else Downton Abbey fans? I love historical fiction and British history so this show is right up my alley. I kind of cheated and watched the whole season already when it first leaked on the internet, so I'll try not to give any spoilers before the episodes have aired on tv..... 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my blog on small town homesteading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 51 Old 01-21-2013, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey I love that show. Some of the story lines are so ridiculous!  Also love the Dowager countess and her disapproving sniffs.  I've watched half of season 3 (episode 4 or 5?) you know the one with Sybil and haven't had the courage to watch the next episode. Maybe tonight is the night

slingtwin.gifMontessori teacher working part time and trying to keep up with the kiddos. blowkiss.gif DD1 (June 08)ROTFLMAO.gif DS1 (June 10)love.gif DD2 (June 10)

#3 of 51 Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM

Also a big fan.  Yes, some plot lines are far-fetched.... but they make up for it with the interesting characters and great writing.  I find the "downstairs" stories a bit more interesting the the "upstairs" stories.  

But why did Lady Mary become so boring the minute she got married????   She was such a spit-fire when single - never doing what was expected and holding out for true love.  Now she just seems all about the estate.

#4 of 51 Old 01-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone else find the disparity between the seriousness of the upstairs/downstairs problems a little troubling at times? "oh, no, I took a lover an now everyone will know" vs "I've been wrongly imprisoned for my wife's murder." Or, " oh no, we have to sell our giant castle and move into our smaller castle" vs " I had to become a prostitute to care for born out of wedlock son, and I still had give him away"

You know, that sort of thing.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#5 of 51 Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchMom View Post

But why did Lady Mary become so boring the minute she got married????   She was such a spit-fire when single - never doing what was expected and holding out for true love.  Now she just seems all about the estate.

I agree with this a bit. I mean - she had a gentleman basically, ahem, die in her bedroom under less than forthright circumstances.. and then - married, happily ever after. And if I'm not mistaken, Matthew doesn't even know about that! Though I think Lady Mary does still have her share of intrigue - this plot line with her potential fertility issues is shrouded in mystery. What's going on there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post

Does anyone else find the disparity between the seriousness of the upstairs/downstairs problems a little troubling at times? "oh, no, I took a lover an now everyone will know" vs "I've been wrongly imprisoned for my wife's murder." Or, " oh no, we have to sell our giant castle and move into our smaller castle" vs " I had to become a prostitute to care for born out of wedlock son, and I still had give him away"

You know, that sort of thing.

Sure, a little bit. It would be quite ridiculous if we were talking about a real life situation, of course. But as a vintage soap opera (which is basically what Downton is, if we're honest with ourselves and allow the indulgence) it's completely engaging and forgivable. :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#6 of 51 Old 01-30-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Sure, a little bit. It would be quite ridiculous if we were talking about a real life situation, of course. But as a vintage soap opera (which is basically what Downton is, if we're honest with ourselves and allow the indulgence) it's completely engaging and forgivable. :-)

XD totally

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#7 of 51 Old 02-03-2013, 04:26 PM

I know not season 3, but I haven't watched any of it, but would like to start (from the beginning, preferably). Does anyone know where to find the first 2 seasons to watch online for free?

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#8 of 51 Old 02-03-2013, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

This show make me grateful for modern medicine.

#9 of 51 Old 02-03-2013, 08:31 PM

I got caught up on PBS online.  All while BF which made me look forward to it even more because I could sit down and watch a good chunk of TV uninterrupted. 

#10 of 51 Old 02-04-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcneal View Post

I know not season 3, but I haven't watched any of it, but would like to start (from the beginning, preferably). Does anyone know where to find the first 2 seasons to watch online for free?

Google Project Free TV - you should be able to see all of the seasons there. 

#11 of 51 Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I agree with this a bit. I mean - she had a gentleman basically, ahem, die in her bedroom under less than forthright circumstances.. and then - married, happily ever after. And if I'm not mistaken, Matthew doesn't even know about that! 

I am pretty sure he knows about that, because he was upset when she first told him, and then she was going to go away when the story broke, but then he asked her to marry him.

#12 of 51 Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 AM

yeahthat.gif

It was on the Christmas Special, I do believe.  Let me tell you all, when I got my grubby little hands into Season 1 on Netflix, housework was left undone for that show.  My poor husband noticed and was fairly amazed, I think, because of the fact that I rarely watch so much television, or care about what I do watch all that much, and also because he actually went hungry because of it. 

Season 3...  oh sweet mercy, season, 3, who on earth is chopping so many onions in my living room?

bawling.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#13 of 51 Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 AM

Yeah, after watching season three, I may need to revise my disparity statement. Oy!

#14 of 51 Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

I am pretty sure he knows about that, because he was upset when she first told him, and then she was going to go away when the story broke, but then he asked her to marry him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

yeahthat.gif

It was on the Christmas Special, I do believe.  Let me tell you all, when I got my grubby little hands into Season 1 on Netflix, housework was left undone for that show.  My poor husband noticed and was fairly amazed, I think, because of the fact that I rarely watch so much television, or care about what I do watch all that much, and also because he actually went hungry because of it. 

Season 3...  oh sweet mercy, season, 3, who on earth is chopping so many onions in my living room?

bawling.gif

Oh dang, you guys are right. I'd completely forgotten about that. 

#15 of 51 Old 02-06-2013, 04:02 PM

Does anyone else find that the "big"stories are less interesting than the small ones? I really enjoy stories like the stolen snuff box, or the footmen competing or the arguments over the christening.  I think they show more character development than the huge stories.  Like the Matthew is paralyzed but suddenly walking???? I started laughing when he got up! Or Mary and the Turkish gentleman? Also hilarious.

slingtwin.gifMontessori teacher working part time and trying to keep up with the kiddos. blowkiss.gif DD1 (June 08)ROTFLMAO.gif DS1 (June 10)love.gif DD2 (June 10)

#16 of 51 Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 PM

Here's a fun quiz for you to play at.

http://www.weta.org/tv/picks/downtonabbey/quiz/sybil

#17 of 51 Old 02-15-2013, 04:30 PM

Nice. I am Sybil.

#18 of 51 Old 02-16-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the link to actually take the quiz - http://www.weta.org/tv/picks/downtonabbey/quiz.

Apparently I'm the Dowager Countess - kind of accurate, really... oh dear. 

#19 of 51 Old 02-16-2013, 09:30 PM

I am Anna Smith (now Bates)

#20 of 51 Old 02-16-2013, 09:33 PM

Aha, thank you kitchensqueen! 

I"m jealous of Viola, I wanted to be Anna, but alas, I am not. 

#21 of 51 Old 02-17-2013, 01:50 AM

I'm Matthew.
#22 of 51 Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am Sybil, too, but I wanted to be the Dowager Countess. :-(

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#23 of 51 Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 PM

Reactions to today's show:
I feel bad for Branwson. He was in service but the family tolerated him because of Sybil. Now Sybil's gone, if he gets entangled with someone in service I don't believe the family would welcome this person in, but because he was in service a "lady" won't want to be with him.

Second, really with Mathew? Is there a occupancy limit to Downton? It seems someone can't be born without someone dying.

Lastly, why is it that Thomas does something wrong and he gets a promotion. Jimmy makes a big stink of it and holds Carson hostage, he gets a promotion. Yet poor Alfred tries to do the right thing and he has to tell the cops he's a drunk. Does that seem fair?

What are other reactions?
#24 of 51 Old 02-18-2013, 08:03 AM

I don't think that was the "right thing" though, at least that was the implication seemed to be. Thomas would have gone to Jail for coming on to another man. Thomas didnt rape him, he backed off when he realized that his feelings were not returned and left him alone after that.

But I'm sure that is going to come up again. I bet Alfred is ticked...

#25 of 51 Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post

I don't think that was the "right thing" though, at least that was the implication seemed to be. Thomas would have gone to Jail for coming on to another man. Thomas didnt rape him, he backed off when he realized that his feelings were not returned and left him alone after that.

But I'm sure that is going to come up again. I bet Alfred is ticked...

Rather the norm for the time period. 

Still, I don't think that Thomas should get a promotion for coming on to someone. Especially since in general he's a jerk and everybody knows it. What sense does that make?

#26 of 51 Old 02-18-2013, 04:47 PM

I guess the household just thinks of him as the resident loveable scamp! No English household should be without one of those XD

#27 of 51 Old 02-18-2013, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just watched the finale online. I had a feeling that was going to happen, and I think it's lousy!! That baby was soooo cute though.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then a fast HBAC, then a fast VBAC!!). Planning a third VBAC, again at home, in February 2016.
#28 of 51 Old 02-19-2013, 08:32 AM

Am I the only one that was completely blindsided by the [thing that happens right at the end of Season 3]?

#29 of 51 Old 02-19-2013, 11:03 AM

I picked kind of romantic answers more laidback.  I thought I'd be Edith, but of course it makes sense to be Anna.

#30 of 51 Old 02-19-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

Am I the only one that was completely blindsided by the [thing that happens right at the end of Season 3]?

I had no clue it was coming, (until a certain part in the show, of course).  Judging from the commentary on my facebook wall, a lot of other people didn't either.  Then there was spoilerish talk happening on my wall, and I felt bad so I basically was telling people it was only a flesh wound, that character would be fine. But then a friend who moved to the UK a couple years ago came in and told me that it was all over the papers when that character left the show to pursue other interests.  Sometimes it's good to be a clueless American.

Tags
Television

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page