The Northern Exposure Thread - Mothering Forums

#1 of 55 Old 08-29-2002, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did it Super Pickle and MamaOui !! Here's the thread.

Will you come talk it up with me ?
We could talk about Chris.....aaaaaaaahhhhhh !
We could talk about Joel...let's be neurotic
We could taaaaaaalllllk about Maggie - mixed feelings about her.

We could talk about the last episode and

We could ask that they put the entire show on DVDs

Haha, just saw the perfect icon for The Thanksgiving show

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 55 Old 08-29-2002, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I LOVED THAT SHOW !

I used to watch re-runs late night while nursing ds (about 7 years ago). It brings back fond memories...
#3 of 55 Old 08-29-2002, 11:36 PM

==========

#4 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 01:37 AM

Can I play? I loved that show too - when we were in college and I lived in the dorms, I'd go over to my boyfriend's (now dh) parents house to watch it. It was on rerun on A&E or something when I was nearing end of pg, now it isn't on and I am sad! I had a huge crush on Chris - wasn't he in that big fat greek wedding movie? And I had a post a bit ago about a great movie that Joel wrote/directed (sorry, real name escaping me)... called Maze - such a great birth in it!!!
#5 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 02:05 AM

i loved northern exposure too..... such intellegent, funny, sometimes touching writting........ i felt so connected to all of the charecters
#6 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 03:01 AM

One of my all time favorite shows. I too was in college when it was on and DH and I were hooked from the first episode. A new dr dealing with a beaver, I loved it!! It was our weekly ritual, not to be missed. If anyone here lives in a town like Cicily, let me know. Hearing that song "Our Town" can really bring on the waterworks for me!! Great writing, wonderful character development and a sense of whimsy not often found on network tv.
Pamela
#7 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 03:37 AM

ooh! i loved that show. i wish we had A&E....or did someone say it's not even on there anymore?

reminds me of my junior college days.....

and i knew dh was the one when he appreciated my shows. lol.

what about Ed?? any Ed fans out there?

still, my favorite was Marilyn!
Chris was cute but I can only appreciate him in NE....everything else I just think "now what is Chris doing here??" LOL

and i just hated joel...can't stand watching him. maybe because he was too similar to me? <gasp>
#8 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 04:31 AM

I love that show too and the reruns are still on...the Hallmark Channel each night at 11pm PST. I'm watching it right now as a matter of fact! But the reruns that are on now are when the new doctor and his wife come to town to replace Joel since he's gone off to live in the wilderness and is happy doing so. Maggie is so confused with all of this when she goes to visit him and has strange halucinations about him dying. (I miss the older episodes).

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was once, and still is hooked on that show!

Carla
#9 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 07:45 AM

My DH and I LOVE it!!! When we lived in Norway it came on late at night. We recorded the whole series from beginning to end (it was shown in English with Norwegian subtitles). We still occasionally pop them in to watch. My husband has used various episodes with his Psychology and Sociology classes.
#10 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 09:45 AM

============
#11 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 12:23 PM

I don't think I even get the Hallmark channel - nice satellite, sheesh! :

Indigolilybear - I LOVE Ed!!! I have a secret crush on him, but it is a great show...
#12 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 12:33 PM

So sorry I'm so late getting into this!

Indigoliliybear, Marilyn was my fave too, and Ed, although kind of ditzy, was a close second. My favorite episodes tended to be ones which featured Ed...for example, the one where he adopted the baby bear cub and taught it to fish and eat wild plants....and the one where he got depressed about environmental degradation and said he figured the only thing left was to "off yourself"...and the one where he fell in love with Lightfeather. Oh, and remember when Roslyn and Cicely transformed him from wild wolfman to poet?

There were so many great things about that show...the music (I got into Iris DeMent after the last episode), the setting, the intelligence level, the hot guys (Chris!), the consideration given to Tlingit, Jewish, Korean, and French Canadian culture (did I leave any out?), the environmental consciousness, SHELLY"S (though unplanned) HOMEBIRTH! It was actually a show worth watching, that made me feel great afterwards and that gave me something worthwhile to reflect upon about later.

Yes, Goosefeather, I want all the episodes on DVD!
#13 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 02:01 PM

'blue jay on a log, agog..."
#14 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 02:19 PM

Oh yes!! Wouldn't it be great if all the epidoded were on DVD's ?!?!?! Who could we write to submit our request? What a great gift set it would make!

Carla
#15 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 02:44 PM

I did a Google.com search for Northern Exposure on DVD and it's not on DVD yet. But aparently we can go and do a search for the same on Amazon.com, and put in a request for the show to be put on DVD. I think they forward all requests to Universal Studios. The show is on VHS however, although I'm not sure if this is a complete set or just a few episodes.

Hope this helps.

Carla
#16 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 03:01 PM

Oh, wait! I said Marilyn was my favorite, but how could I forget ADAM?!! I loved it when he made appearances.
#17 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Ed, Marylin and Leonard where my favorites, Ed being first
Have to say I loooooved Adam...so funny and so , so,
what's the word I'm looking for :
But everybody was great to watch..even Maurice

Funny thing is I started watching only in 2000 on A&E, just
because I saw J.Corbett (Chris), because dh and I followed "The Visitor" religiously.

I'm looking over to my "printed copy of the episode guide"
can't even choose what is my favorite episode ever. Can't even think of one I didn't like.

Aaah, I really loved the episode where Ed is sleep-flying, discovering he is a shaman, with Leonard's test. Or, the one where Joel has the Glacier Dropsy (not sure of spelling) and he dreams he's giving birth...his face when he says "a beautiful baby girl !" (or was it a boy ?) Shame on me for not being sure !!
But, all episodes are good, aren't they

We don't have a couch right now, we will receive the one we ordered on Sept 18 (can't wait - back hurts) but that very night, we will curl up and really relax in front of one or two episodes, our late night ritual...that really does it for me, relaxation at its best. So many beautiful things that come out of that show, it's unbelievable..Makes me have great dreams
#18 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Maplelief, I'll go to amazon right now and do that ! As for the
VHS, I think it's the first six episodes only, as advertised on A&E.

Very Glad I was inspired to tape them all !
#19 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 03:34 PM

Adam:

"You are a person, and I HATE people!"

"I'm sure everyone here is *fascinated* to hear more pop psychaietry from number 54 in his class at Columbia Med"

"Where am I? A commune? A love-in? What we're retro counter-culture all of a sudden?"
#20 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 04:16 PM

I can't help but chuckle at all the comments on this thread. Thanks for help making my day!

My favorite episode is the one about "Bonne Hivere" (can't remember the spelling) but it's when the whole town gets together to celebrate the Winter Solstice. It was so magical that every year when that magical day comes, of Fall turning into Winter, my husband and I wish each other a "bonne Hivere". (he used to day that he didn't care for the show but I know deep down he really enjoyed it).

Peace to all....
#21 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 04:28 PM

Maplelief, is that the one where Chris lights up the town? With Enya in the background?
#22 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 04:30 PM

Super Pickle,

I think so, not sure since it's been so long since I've seen it but it does sound familiar.
#23 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

That reminds me of something...That was the first show I saw. I didn't hear "Bon Hiver" at all, I heard "Bony Man"
You should have seen me trying to figure out what that meant : "Are they saying we should not gain weight to prepare for winter ?!?"

Even more funny, I'm french (well, quebecois"e" like Holling) and it
took my anglophone dh to tell me what they where really saying.

:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL

I think it's in this episode that Shelly thinks her nose is growing after lying to Maurice...
#24 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 06:18 PM

The best TV show ever. I visited Roslyn Washington (where they filmed it) before I had ever seen an episode and I loved the town so much I started watching and was hooked! It was on A&E at 7 each morning during a very difficult time in my life, and that one hour each day was such a treat. Well developed characters, fascinating, offbeat stories, spirituality, and great music! I cried during Iris Dement's "Our Town" in the last episode...then I picked up my guitar and learned it.
Keep those Adam quotes coming!!!
#25 of 55 Old 08-30-2002, 07:58 PM

I loved that show!!!

I've been to Roslyn, WA, too! Did you know the inside of the Brick was not filmed in the building we see in the outside shots?

Favoite characters...Chris of course! Ed, Marilyn..and Maurice cracked me up! Loved the one where he had the wax model of himself. I don't remember any Adam quotes, but I'd love to hear more, too!

Funny, Goosefeather, I heard "Bony bear"! I figured it out eventually...

I would love to be able to get it on DVD. I'll have to go try to do the Amazon request!
#26 of 55 Old 08-31-2002, 05:08 AM

Oh, really one of the only good TV shows ever.

Why can't there be more shows like it? I guess most folks want something different. But not me and all of you!

It was truly brilliant and SO well written.

I agree, Chris is very handsome and such a nice voice he has. Marilyn is awesome!

Goosefeather, how much for a complete copy of NE?

Great thread, I'll see if the reruns are on in these parts.

julie
#27 of 55 Old 08-31-2002, 06:48 AM

"My favorite episode is the one about "Bonne Hivere" (can't remember the spelling) but it's when the whole town gets together to celebrate the Winter Solstice. It was so magical that every year when that magical day comes, of Fall turning into Winter, my husband and I wish each other a "bonne Hivere"."

I love that one too. We watch it (since we have them ALL recorded) each fall.

The one though that really brings tears to my eyes is the Raven/Christmas one. Where they parallel the Indian story and the Christian story. Shelly's yearns for her Catholic roots with mass and candles and ritual so Holland fills the church with candles and sings "Ave Maria" to her. It always beings tears to my eyes when I watch it, and I've got tears now just writing about it. Somehow it really touches me inside. That whole series really touches me inside.
#28 of 55 Old 08-31-2002, 10:18 AM

I was going to move to Cicely Alaska and become Mrs. Ed Chigliak!

My favorite episode is the one where they told the story about the lady the town was named after? vague memories

I also love the Adam/Eve relationship.
#29 of 55 Old 08-31-2002, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Lavender, I read your post and was thinking "Isn't that what I said ?" : then went to read my post and saw I wrote down "Bony Man" ! : I meant Bony BEAR !!!! Too funny we heard the same thing ! That's why I couldn't understand what that was supposed to mean, a "bony" bear is just the antithesis of hibernation, isn't it...

Julie, as long as you don't mind missing a minute of some episodes here and there, we could work something out.
All the episodes take 12, yes 12 tapes - that's because some of them are taped with the commercials.

Quote:
Shelly's yearns for her Catholic roots with mass and candles and ritual so Holland fills the church with candles and sings "Ave Maria" to her.
It does the same thing to me Carmen, I think because even though Holling doesn't share her faith, he loves her enough to do that for her. It was very romantic, very loving...

I've been thinking about that episode a lot lately...I'd like to find little ravens for my "earthy" tree this year.

As for Ed khrisday, I loved him so much that I have still, an enormous amount of tears flowing when I watch the last show. First the music and then the realization that Ed is still alone I wish he would have found the perfect girl...sigh...
#30 of 55 Old 09-01-2002, 02:43 AM

ooh! what about the one where shelly can't stop singing....and at the end she and holling sing over the crib (<sigh>...but i digress)....that one makes me cry!

oh, i miss that show!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page