Anyone CLW an autistic child? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 12-09-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure there have to be some here. Any advice, stories of how it went, etc?
I had planned on CLW but now I'm wondering if he might need some encouraging to wean (not planning to wean anytime soon, mind you...just thinking ahead a little and wondering).... Right now, given the choice, DS would still be exclusively bf, with maybe a bite or two off of our plates when we eat (if he stops running, or coloring or whatever he's doing, long enough to realize that we're eating). ....I WOH full-time so he does eat, when I'm not around....but most days if I'm home with him he eats a tiny bit if at all and nurses a ton.... still nurses a ton during the night too.... I have no problem with him nursing as much as he wants to now, but I really can't see myself nursing a 7, 8 year old child (and kudos to those that do; just not for me, I think). Do autistic kids still transition off the breast easily, on their own (maybe on their own timetable) or do they tend to need some extra help? .... Mostly I think the "don't offer, don't refuse" thing is the best idea; but with ds, that still means we're nursing about 300 times a day. (J/K, lol, but way too many to keep track of)

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 12-10-2008, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Both of my kids are autistic and still nursing. My oldest just turned 6 and nurses maybe twice a week now. My youngest is 4 and still nurses a lot. The oldest has been down to a small amount of nursing for the last year an a half. I think he clings to it for security. Really nursing a 6 year old isn't weird especially when the 6 year old really is not a typical 6 year old.

I would like to add, clw-ing as given my kids a sense of security and shelter in an uncertain(to them) world. I think fostering attachment and trust is vital when you are talking about kids who process the world in the same way as others.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page