"Self weaning" - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 12-23-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there some sort of definition for "self weaning"?  It seems so often I hear mothers talk of their babies "self weaning" at ages I would not think a baby would wean themselves.  I hear about babies under a year "self weaning" (I'm assuming those are actually from a nursing strike), babies just over a year self weaning, 18 month olds self weaning, etc.  I always thought typical babies don't wean until after two. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-24-2010, 11:48 AM

for me, if a child still has a sucking need, they haven't self-weaned. so if they're still using a bottle or paci, they aren't truly weaned. and the mother can't have used any weaning techniques (for a child under two, these include "don't offer, don't refuse", delaying feedings, limiting frequency or duration of feedings, and pushing solids)

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#3 of 6 Old 01-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

While I mostly agree with PP sentiment, also every child is different; DS is 13 months and is clearly (to me) in the process of weaning - though I do not know how long before he is done altogether. He sucks on his thumb - and has since he was about 3 months old - since he does this for comfort (mostly when he is tired) - I don't think it is a good measure of when he is done needing or wanting to nurse. I try to remember that this is a relationship and both parties, mama and babe, need to be comfortable.

as far as self weaning, if babe is not showing any desire to nurse - pushes boob away or otherwise doesn't seem inclined to nurse (DS bites me when I offer the boob when he is not hungry. needless to say, this does not make me want to continue the session either!) that is what I would consider. I think alot of the tecniques - delaying, don't offer, don't refuse, etc, are somethings that mamas with toddlers often do unconsiously not intentionally as a means to wean. I encourage solids, but I wouldn't say I push them, any more than I push bf'ing - I encourage and offer. same goes for solids.

under a year, I agree it is probably a nursing strike, after a year, especially after walking, anything may be true.I try not to discount any one's experience.

aja-belly likes this.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
11/20/2009 and Norah
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
10/11/2011 and Theo
03/11/2013- married to Wayne -

#4 of 6 Old 02-14-2011, 05:40 PM

I think with babies who are under one year and wean to the bottle, that is not actually "weaning" but nipple confusion. I think they call it nipple confusion when a baby begins to prefer the bottle to the breast.

I have known a few babies who dropped breastfeeding around 1 year when they started to walk, even though their mothers wanted to continue breastfeeding. I'm not sure if these may have had something to do with pushing solids- not all that long ago, doctors urged mothers to start the babyfood at about 4 months. 

But, both from experience and intuition, I'd guess most children would continue nursing (if given the chance) until somewhere around age 4-7. 

#5 of 6 Old 02-14-2011, 06:00 PM

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/how_weaning_happens.html

It is rare before 2 y/o, esp rare before 18 m/o...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#6 of 6 Old 02-14-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post

for me, if a child still has a sucking need, they haven't self-weaned. so if they're still using a bottle or paci, they aren't truly weaned. and the mother can't have used any weaning techniques (for a child under two, these include "don't offer, don't refuse", delaying feedings, limiting frequency or duration of feedings, and pushing solids)

This!

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page