how long to exclusively breast feed, and how to know if baby is getting enough food - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 07-04-2011, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Baby is 10 months, and 16 lbs, but we are small statured parents, and my 9 year old is only 45lbs, so perhaps 16lbs is just right for this baby.  He's very healthy, but I'm not sure yet how to tell if he is hungry for (or needing) foods beyond just bf'ing. 

What I am wondering is:  can I still exclusively breast feed for another two months and be confident that baby is getting enough calories?  He does show interest in food, but I am wondering if I give him too many solids if it will affect how much milk I am producing? 

What kinds of foods should I introduce, and should I hold off introducing anything at this time?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-05-2011, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Was your LO born small? Most breastfed babies will double birthweight by three to four months and triple at a year. Babies should gain about two to four ounces a week between six and 12 months.
I agree that BM should be the bulk of baby's diet up until a year but at 10 months I'd guess he'd be ready - sitting alone, interested, no tongue thrust - to explore solids. You can nurse first to make sure it's not replacing meals at the breast.
At 10 months, I'd just start with self-feeding. Nurse first then offer soft chunks of banana,cooked sweet potato or a piece of avocado and (if your LO has the pincer grasp) small pea-sized pieces of soft cooked meat, cheese, beans etc. You could also try spoonfeeding foods like full-fat Greek yogurt.
Kellymom.com has great info on infant growth and solids, including a list of calorie content of various foods.
The only food I avoid is honey before age 1 because of botulism. I didn't feed DS1 egg white only because he was skinny and the yolk is more calorie-dense.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#3 of 4 Old 07-05-2011, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

We introduced solids at about eleven months. My own view is if baby is able to reach out to the plate, grasp food, put it into his mouth, chew or gum then swallow, he is likely ready. If you do wish to start solids now, you could offer the foods the PP suggested and see if he takes it or not. Your baby will be the best indicator whether or not his body is ready for solids. He may merely teethe it, or explore it and spit it out, feel it and toss it on the floor. 

My baby was fascinated by solids as if they were scientific experiments, although he was willing to taste anything and ingest a bit of it, he really didn't eat a lot of solid food. At 20 months now, he'll try just about any food, and polish off a whole banana or avacado but he still takes in most of his calories in breastmilk. 

As far as needing it, no I do not believe so this early. It wasn't that long ago that it was routine not to introduce babies to solids until one year of age (prior to the 1920's). I found this fact on the University of Colarado website.

#4 of 4 Old 07-06-2011, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

right now at this age solid food is not about nutrition. it is about getting used to all the aspects of solid food. dd didnt start really eating solids till she was 2 years old. she ate and tried everything which she started at 9 almost 10 months but the amount would fit in one or max two small baby jars of food.

the good part for you is at that age is you can probably miss the 'mush' age so wont have to smash all the food.

i would offer varieties of food once in a while and see if he accepts. dd's first food was avocado. she absolutely refused ANY cereal. 

yes there is the danger that too much solid food would fill him up and he not nurse. till dd was 1 i would always nurse her first and then offer solid foods just so she didnt fill up on solid food. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page