Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (https://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Child-Led Weaning (https://www.mothering.com/forum/305-child-led-weaning/)
-   -   Saying Goodbye to Breastfeeding Through Natural Weaning (https://www.mothering.com/forum/305-child-led-weaning/1368248-saying-goodbye-breastfeeding-through-natural-weaning.html)

lmclaugh69 11-15-2012 11:48 PM

I am a homeschooling mother of three (ages 11, 8 and 4), and I recently stopped nursing my third child through natural weaning.  I spent nearly 10 consecutive years nursing my three children, with only a three month break between my second and third.  I breastfed through bleeding nipples with my first until a call to a LLL member taught me proper latch-on, I tandemed nursed my first and second, I nursed my second through a week in a high-needs nursery, and I nursed my third through my own serious uterine infection following his birth.  Needless to say, breastfeeding has been a constant in my life, and natural weaning has been a very bittersweet process for me. 

I wrote the following poem so that I will always remember, and can share with my children, the gifts we each gave and received during our breastfeeding days. 

Bittersweet Good-Bye

I said goodbye today

To a pure, sweet, simple joy

The tugging of three little souls

My precious girls and one sweet boy

A decade of my life

While gone in one brief flash

Each moment spent giving such sacred love 

An eternity did last

While little hands tangled in my hair

My first girl nursed past three

A brand new gift was given

To her but also me

My second born early

I fought to make it so

When finally we connected

The healing power flowed

My first reached out with sleepy love 

To take her sister's hand

The three of us connected

A new stage of life began

More than I expected

The demands of nursing two

With bittersweet goodbyes

We slowly made it through

My second nursed until my third

Was well on his way

We ended one sweet afternoon

While by her beach warmed skin I laid

This final time I was the one

Who could not yet begin

So ever patiently he waited

For me to come to him

When at last his little mouth found me

A mutual nourishment began

My fears of lost connection gone

His security regained

No part of life before this

Did I ever feel so deep

The smells and sounds of nursing angels

Are memories I will always keep

The love in little eyes

Peering up at me so sweet

The quivering of little chins

As sleep and nursing meet

I'm forever grateful for the gifts

Both given and received

That will sustain the four of us

More than I would ever have believed

jessafina 02-14-2013 07:25 PM

Tearing up as I read this. Thanks for sharing.

columbusmomma 02-15-2013 06:15 AM

Very beautiful! blowkiss.gif

My DD naturally weaned shortly after her 5th birthday and DS a little before age 3. beautiful memories!

MiddleRiverMama 02-15-2013 08:45 PM

Love this!

Jennyanydots 02-17-2013 12:13 AM

So sweet smile.gif
Thanks for sharing!

Nightwish 02-17-2013 04:28 AM

Very sweet, thanks for sharing :)

skycheattraffic 02-18-2013 07:35 PM

Absolutely beautiful. I'm expecting baby #2 and nursing while pregnant hasn't been easy. This was a very powerful reminder of why I keep going even on the toughest days. Thank you and you've given those kids a wonderful gift!

tropicana 02-18-2013 07:48 PM

great poem!!

it really is a sacred thing, nursing. 

rielly 03-01-2013 09:35 PM

You made me cry, OP! wink1.gif
Thank you for sharing.

LaotianMama 03-10-2013 01:15 AM

That is so sweet. You all are so lucky to have each other and share such an incredible journey!

SamanthaC83 03-10-2013 12:04 PM

So beautiful.

akcowgirl 03-10-2013 04:05 PM

OP, that is so beautiful. I came here looking for ideas on weaning as we are ttc again and after your poem I am reconsidering allowing her to nurse through a pregnancy should one happen. Thank you.

velveeta 03-10-2013 05:39 PM

Wonderful! Thank you! I'm sure it's hard to say goodbye.

Ema629 04-13-2013 02:33 PM

Very sweet poem! Thanks for sharing. :-)

DelawareMom 05-26-2013 08:16 PM

This is so so lovely. Thank you for sharing it. I especially like the part about where "sleep and nursing meet." Absolutely precious moments.

SandiMae 07-08-2013 10:09 AM

Thank you for sharing! Our little baby boy just turned one and is eating more and more solids, it seems. I love nursing him and even though he loves it too, I see him growing and know it won't feel long until he is done nursing. (I plan to nurse him as long as he would like, so it should be at least another year, I would guess.)

Anyway, you made me cry. Tears down both cheeks! (Good thing you didn't write more, or they would've made it to my chin or lap.) I think a little cry now and then is really healthy, and sure feels good. smile.gif

[edited because I hit send too soon on my mobile device wink1.gif]

SandiMae 07-08-2013 10:15 AM

Wow. I read it again and teared up again. Thank you.

contactmaya 07-15-2013 06:35 AM

So beautiful. I will have to deal with this soon too. My third is 17mths.  We'll go for awhile, like the others (4,and 5 years self weaned) I dont know how i am going to feel about it....

SunshineMommyAZ 09-04-2013 01:01 PM

That is truly beautiful!  Wow-- what a journey it all must have been and remains to be.

Thank you so much for sharing.  I am also planning on home educating.  I was home educated myself and ironically enough, before having children, taught public school which only further secured in me the desire to home school.  :)  My children are 2 1/2 and 16 months though so homeschooling consists of shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and lots of play time right now.

You sound like a remarkable mother.

momofGB 12-31-2013 12:34 PM

I loved this, I want to let my son nurse until he's ready to move on. I also want to have more children so I wondered if you and skycheattraffic have any tips for how to get pregnant while nursing.

skycheattraffic 12-31-2013 02:19 PM

Momofgb, I got my period back at 4 months and at 19 months were actually hoping to wait a little longer. I was convinced it was a safe time but baby had other ideas smile.gif. I wish I could help. I hear that partial night weaning for 6-8 hours works for some ladies. Good luck hon hug.gif

Vivien57 12-31-2013 02:34 PM

I gut my first period back at 9 months breast feeding around the clock. The same month I got pregnant. So it is possible. Second time around though I have had only a few periods in 2.5 years! I am not trying for more though and am tandem feeding.

momofGB 12-31-2013 02:39 PM

Thanks ladies, I guess you're both evidence of a divine plan for these little ones. smile.gif In my case I guess I'll have to start night weaning.

Evangelia Nicolodimos 01-23-2015 08:40 PM

Lovely poem. Thanks for sharing.

parentingnewb 06-01-2016 03:45 PM

Wow. Food for thought.. thanks for sharing.

emyjacob 02-21-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmclaugh69 (Post 17173264)

I am a homeschooling mother of three (ages 11, 8 and 4), and I recently stopped nursing my third child through natural weaning.  I spent nearly 10 consecutive years nursing my three children, with only a three month break between my second and third.  I breastfed through bleeding nipples with my first until a call to a LLL member taught me proper latch-on, I tandemed nursed my first and second, I nursed my second through a week in a high-needs nursery, and I nursed my third through my own serious uterine infection following his birth.  Needless to say, breastfeeding has been a constant in my life, and natural weaning has been a very bittersweet process for me. 

I wrote the following poem so that I will always remember, and can share with my children, the gifts we each gave and received during our breastfeeding days. 

Bittersweet Good-Bye

I said goodbye today

To a pure, sweet, simple joy

The tugging of three little souls

My precious girls and one sweet boy

A decade of my life

While gone in one brief flash

Each moment spent giving such sacred love 

An eternity did last

While little hands tangled in my hair

My first girl nursed past three

A brand new gift was given