Feeling confused about combing solids and nursing in 12m/o - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 12-20-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas, I hope this is the right forum for my question.  I'm a FTM and my DS is 12 1/2 months old.  I still absolutely love nursing him and do not desire to wean anytime soon.  My mother nursed me until I was 3 1/2 years old and I've always planned on nursing my children a similar amount.  DS just got really into solids at 11 1/2 months old.  Currently, he eats solids 4-5X day (small amounts every 2ish hours) and nurses 6-8X during the day and 1-2X at night.  So he's getting solids or BM every hour just about while he's awake (takes 2 naps, both a little over an hour on a good day).

I'm just feeling confused/conflicted about how much solid food he truly needs.  I certainly don't want to deny him, but I am nervous about him nursing less and I suppose I'm rather terrified that he's going to wean before I'M ready!  He doesn't ask to nurse much, but I offer frequently, so he doesn't really have much cause to ask.

It would be helpful to hear from some other mamas regarding how much food and how much nursing their young toddlers do.  Once your LOs got excited about solids and were actually eating them (rather than just playing), how did that affect nursing frequency?  Daytime vs nighttime?  I know there's a huge range, but how often does your 1-2yr old nurse in a day?  I just don't want to "mess up" nursing by offering him too many solids, but I don't want to deny him food that he wants to eat either.

TIA!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-21-2013, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 547 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
When I introduced solids my son loved it while continuing to nurse. Yes, he nursed a bit less but nonetheless did not wean himself and night time basically stayed the same. I did not have après ribbed amount of food that I gave him. I don't think you will mess anything up. As he gets older he will be able to vocalize what exactly he wants. Nursing is a special time... I understand!
Anyone have any advice for this mama?
#3 of 5 Old 12-21-2013, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
I have a 13mo and a 3.5yo, both of whom are still breastfed. I offer the 13mo solids whenever the rest of the family is eating (if she's awake). That usually works out to 4-5 times/day. The rest of the time i feed her and she feeds several times overnight.

My 3.5yo only feeds once or twice a day but she is still going with no desire to stop.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 5 Old 12-21-2013, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
I don't think you have to even think about limiting food to keep up nursing. Nursing a long time is pretty normal if you keep offering. Mine are 2.5 and 4 and still nursing. I never limited food.
#5 of 5 Old 12-21-2013, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I am on my 6th nursling and have never had any issues with them eating too many solids and then not wanting to nurse. They love to do both! My dd is 17 months old and she eats with us at all three meals plus snacks and then nurses at least three times a day plus her drive-by sessions and still nurses at night too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page