Will he really eventually wean on his own??? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 03-23-2014, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I nurse my 1-year-old to sleep for naps and at night, will he wean on his own at some point? Still wakes a few times at night, thinking of night weaning but want to do this gently. He has really gotten into the habit of sleeping from nursing.

Sometimes he will fall asleep in the car or  when I walk him in the carrier, only if he's really tired. Or sometimes at night even from rolling around on our bed for a long, long time. He seems to keep nursing for comfort. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

Yes.  He will.  Promise! :)

My daughter - who is now almost 8 - nursed to sleep every night until she was 3.75.  She night weaned - gently, under her own motivation - at 2.5.  She kept nursing during the day until she was a bit over three, dropped down to morning nursing and nursing to sleep, and then a bit before her 4th birthday she dropped it altogether.  And never looked back. 

So yes, they will stop on their own. :) 

My younger daughter will be 2 in August, and still nurses around the clock.  

#3 of 4 Old 03-26-2014, 12:19 PM

I also prefer a child- led weaning,mine is 2 years now,I only feed him in the night and he wakes up a few times..iam hoping that he will soon,stop on his own,it can be exhausting to breastfeed for such a long time.

#4 of 4 Old 03-30-2015, 01:13 PM

My son is turning 2 and am asking the same questions. He wakes up these days with a ton of energy too. Sometimes for two hours. It's hard. I keep wondering if I wean him if that will help, but I hate the idea of weaning him. It does;t feel natural - and I always expected to wean him at 1.5 or 2 before I realized what it was like to be a parent.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page