Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (https://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Child-Led Weaning (https://www.mothering.com/forum/305-child-led-weaning/)
-   -   Advice please! (https://www.mothering.com/forum/305-child-led-weaning/1478697-advice-please.html)

Evangelia Nicolodimos 01-23-2015 09:11 PM

Advice please!

My 2nd child is 23 months old and nurses at least 5-6 times a day. I'm a SAHM and nurse upon request throughout the day as well as at night. (I weaned my DD at 18m due to pregnancy causing tiredness/ nipple soreness that made me dislike nursing so I've never done CLW before.)

1.) if he weans/I wean him then will he eat more food? He is a light eater and on the small side.

2.) If I continue to nurse him is my DD going to get really jealous? She has recently started asking to BF again (she is 3.5) (she was 22m when he was born and wanted to start nursing again when she saw my milk came back. I explained that my milk was for babies & she was a big girl but now DS is a big boy who gets to BF so thats a bit unfair.)

3.) I sometimes like nursing but the vast majority of the time I'm multitasking, or if its in bed I am just zoning out or reading over his shoulder. It's not like the sweet eye-gazing phase when he was a baby. If we're not connecting then is it there really any point in continuing?

4.) will he sleep better if he doesn't associate waking with nursing?

I still occasionally enjoy it. And he may be our last baby so this is my last chance to enjoy it. Nursing is a very special time. But on the other hand I hate not being able to drink. And I worry that my BF is full of caffeine (I drink a lot of coffee)

How do I know if CLW is right for us or if it is time to make a change? If I don't do it now will it just get harder as he gets older?

farmer 03-25-2015 10:13 AM

I've nursed all of my kids until they weaned on their own (around 4yo). Well, except my last, who's almost two--he's still nursing.

I've always multi-tasked, and I find that nursing makes life SO much easier. Plus, the extra insurance against illness is huge. I, too, drink a decent amount of coffee. I also frequently drink a Mike's Hard Lemonade with dinner. I don't think moderate drinking is an issue, especially with an older child who's getting some solids. I'm a very moderate drinker, hate feeling "drunk", so I don't worry about that, for me, anyway.

Congrats on nursing your little guy for as long as you have! To answer your other questions: BM is high in nutrients and calories, so I'd say that your son is probably getting what he needs. If he weans, you'll have to be a lot more vigilant about food choices. You know, this may sound weird, but I'd let your daughter try nursing the next time she asks. I doubt that after all this time she'll remember how, and that way she maybe would feel validated?

As far as sleep, not sure. I find that it is so much easier to get a child back to sleep by nursing, so I'm in favor of not night weaning either unless it is child-led.

Good luck mama! :)