Weaning or striking? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 02-03-2005, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, it's been a full week since DD last nursed. I'm pretty bummed about it. For the past couple of weeks, every time I offer to nurse her, she'll latch on for mere seconds before hopping off my lap, or chosing to snuggle instead. She hasn't even tried to nurse in a week. I had hoped that she would nurse until at least 2, but she really seems to have no desire. Coincidentally, a week or so after she started "weaning" she got a cold, her first illness ever. It's apparent that breastfeeding was still doing her some good, and keeping her healthy. Now I just don't know what to do. She's a toddler, so it's not as though I can force her to nurse. Besides, I don't beleive in that, anyway. I had hoped to let her lead the way in weaning...it just seems that it may be happening sooner than expected. She's only 20 months.

So what do I do, now? I've been offering to nurse her still, but she just giggles and runs away, or asks for a cup instead. Should I try to pump in the meantime to keep my supply up, in case she decides to start nursing again in a week or two? Or should I just let it go, and allow her to wean if she wants to? I really don't want to push her to nurse, as I don't feel that's what CLW is about. How long do nursing strikes usually last? I think it's probably been at least a month since she had a nursing session that lasted longer than 30-60 seconds.

Just want to add that I'm looking for advice and support, not scolding (but you guys wouldn't do that, right?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-03-2005, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Personally, if I had a child who self-weaned before age 2, I'd pump for her so she'd continue to get the benefits of breastmilk.

OK, I just looked at your siggy and realized you're pg. That can certainly explain her decreased interest in nursing (and may make pumping difficult if not impossible.) Some children do wean during their mom's subsequent pregnancies- some keep on nursing in spite of the diminished (or completely eliminated) milk supply.

She may or may not want to nurse again after the baby's born, and at that point you'll certainly have the option of pumping for her if she wants nothing to do with nursing.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#3 of 4 Old 02-03-2005, 03:17 PM

Quote:
OK, I just looked at your siggy and realized you're pg. That can certainly explain her decreased interest in nursing (and may make pumping difficult if not impossible.) Some children do wean during their mom's subsequent pregnancies- some keep on nursing in spite of the diminished (or completely eliminated) milk supply.
Normally I would say "strike" and while I don't consider it "true" CLW (which is pretty strict in my definition, I certainly didn't meet it with DD who weaned at 50 months, lol) there might not be a lot you can do. If you can pump, the milk you can give her will definately be healthier. BUT, I'm not sure how much you can get. You can keep offering if you are open to tandem nursing once your new milk comes in.

Take care of yourself--- talk about a hormone swing (pg AND weaning!)!

#4 of 4 Old 02-03-2005, 06:41 PM

It definately could be the pregnancy.
I had one that nursed through a pregnancy even though there was NOTHING there ( she said she didn't care). But then her brother gave up nursing at 23 months cause there wasn't enough milk and he said it tasted "yukky"
The best you can do is be there for her if she changes her mind, and it certainly sounds like you are!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page