Mothering Forum banner

OMG nipple pain at 22 mo?!

975 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Ruthla 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am hoping that all of you experienced nursing moms can help me. Up until two days ago, I considered myself one of you...ds is nearly 22 months old, and he loves to nurse. We have a great schedule of three times a day, and I plan on keeping this up for as long as we both love it. Never had any problems at all of any kind since he's been 12 weeks old.

Boom! All of a sudden two days ago he goes to nurse and it feels like needles in my nipple, I just wanted to scream. Now it's both sides! The poor kid wants to nurse so much but I can only let him for a few minutes, and being a marathon nurser, he's not happy.

I am unquestionably not pregnant.
I can't see any difference in his latch.
My nipples are bright red and so sore.

Oh, I just don't know what to do. I never expected this. Has it ever happened to any of you?

#3 ·
I would guess thrush too.... go to the doctor. Preferably one who has a clue about nursing. Do a search in these forums for thrush and you'll find lots of good info on alternative treatments/etc. I know I've posted on this a number of times. I would strongly recommend taking care of it as soon as possible...if babe get sit you can pass it back and forth, and the pain can be enough to make you want to stop nursing (as I'm sure you are experiencing now....)

Take care, thrush sucks,
anno

#4 ·
THRUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you have mothering mags, there is a great article about thrush a few years back.... Try Gentian Violet(you will be purple and so will he) but go to a doc or a midwife with experience!! YIKES, my nipples are hurting just thinking about it!!!!!!!1 Make sure you treat him too!!!

#6 ·
Oh, smart mamas, you are all so right! I can't believe I was dumb enough not to see that.

Ds and I both have been on antibiotics in the last few weeks...he has a diaper rash that I just can not seem to shake for anything, and that's never happened before...it all makes so much sense.

Made an appointment at my doctor tomorrow. I also read up here on the acidophilus, garlic, grapefruit seed extract supplments. I hope this is gone soon! Thank you for helping this dopey mom!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.