So what's the average? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 36 Old 04-10-2005, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re "child respectful"

YES!

I had an experience that may be unique.

I nursed for years and then I felt my child was ready to stop. I was getting signals from her. So I ASKED her, rather than telling her I was putting my foot down. And she was very happy about stopping. Maybe she was happy that I was being respectful of her feelings and wishes.

edited to add

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_sunshine
BTW thanks Momtwice

(I think you might have inspired me to keep on )
You are welcome and I enjoy your posts.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 04-10-2005, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_sunshine
I think the gray area (or debate among some) of what is/isn't considered CLW pertains mostly to the first few years of breastfeeding (no pacifiers, no bottles, the don't offer/refuse debate, limits, etc etc). Once your child reaches a certain age (say 4, just to throw a number out there), that is when you kinda decide whether you're in it til self-weaning. Then you decide whether you want to trust dd/ds to continue until they're ready, and that is when you start thinking in terms of "child-led weaning".....the ability to let go of social pressure to wean, the ability to continue on the journey until the child has fully reached the end, and the ability to let go of any undeserved guilt/shame/scorn in that decision (whether from the public or other social conditioning/source).
hmmm.... okay, I think I get it. DD1 turns four next week but she's nowhere near ready to wean yet. It's obvious to me she still has a very real need to nurse, so me weaning her isn't an option at this point. I guess after she weans, then I'll know whether it really was "child-led" :LOL

edited to add: My 16-month-old, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have such a huge need to nurse, unlike her big sister. She still needs it as far as nutrition goes, but that other need, that emotional component, just isn't there for her. I have often thought that both my girls will end up weaning about the same time, even though they are 2.5 years apart in age.
#33 of 36 Old 04-10-2005, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
: Fascinating discussion - as I contemplate CLW for my 2 y.o.

#34 of 36 Old 03-28-2014, 03:32 PM

Shoot...I've been nursing since 9/2005 so close to 9 years! My youngest is nearing 3 and I'm hoping I'll finish up soon...the older girls sort of slowly stopped as siblings were born but with no more siblings coming, I guess we'll see?

I blog about all I say here and more at KristinBennett.com. Mom of Kenzie 9/2005, Hazel 4/2009, and Baby (?) EDD 6/2011.
#35 of 36 Old 01-23-2015, 08:32 PM

Great question! I was wondering this too!
#36 of 36 Old 04-01-2015, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I have five kids. My youngest is almost two, and he's still nursing pretty frequently--the only rule I have about it is no nursing at work (he comes with me)--I clean part-time, and he would ask when he was bored, so I just tell him that we'll nurse on the couch when we get home. It hasn't slowed him down otherwise. :P

My older kids all weaned on their own right about their fourth birthdays. And, none of them (other than my older two, for wisdom teeth) have ever been on antibiotics! Very healthy kids, and I think extended breastfeeding made a difference for them.

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page