Child setting weaning date - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 05-03-2005, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're doing CLW here (she's 3yo). DD has informed me that she won't need to nurse anymore when she's 4yo. Has anyone else's child set a date for weaning, and did they actually do it? If they did, how did it happen....was it abrupt or did they taper off?

fyrfly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-03-2005, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
people would ask dd when she would wean, as oppose to your dc saying on their own, dd would always reply with the next b/d (3,4, and now 5). She hasn't stopped yet!

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 11 Old 05-03-2005, 10:12 PM

Ds was around 2 1/2 when I began to feel like I needed my body back. He was extremely possessive of my breasts and getting increasinly rough. In about Nov of that year he and I sat down and discussed the issue. He said he wasn't ready to quit then so we decided that he would nurse until his birthday. I am so blessed with this incredibly empathetic child. I really believe he understood how hard it was getting for me.

We choose his Feb birthday as weaning day. He nursed normally up to that day (about 3 big ones and a few snacks). We talked a lot about it, what we would do to celebrate, what we would replace nursing with for comfort, bed time, etc.

On that day he nursed like crazy :LOL We had a party not just for his birthday but also for his weaning day. When it was time for bed we had our final nursing. We took pics and just generally made a really big deal about it.

He only asked a few times after that day and after asking he'd laugh and say, "I'm just kidding mom! I don't have to nurse anymore!"

It was really really beautiful and I'm sitting here crying just thinking about it.

Now, last summer, we tried the same method to attempt to get him to sleep in his bed. Failed miserably :LOL

#4 of 11 Old 05-03-2005, 10:12 PM

DD gave various ages she was going to wean--- she did not wean at any of them (she weaned on a random day).

DS has also given ages he will stop nursing. I doubt they will be any more accurate since, really, what he is saying is "When I'm bigger--- and no time soon!"

#5 of 11 Old 05-03-2005, 11:28 PM

Yes, when asked when she was going to wean, dd would say that she was going to wean at a set age (usually the next b-day)....but then that age passed. The last time she gave a #, it was a safer answer..."Maybe when I'm a teenager".

For kids (and parents too), the next age sounds so far away and so much older, but when that age comes they/we realize there isn't as much difference as expected and that they simply aren't ready yet.

Quote:
really, what he is saying is "When I'm bigger--- and no time soon!"
#6 of 11 Old 05-05-2005, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_sunshine
Yes, when asked when she was going to wean, dd would say that she was going to wean at a set age (usually the next b-day)....but then that age passed. The last time she gave a #, it was a safer answer..."Maybe when I'm a teenager".
I think with DS it is more of a "When I'm as big as DD, then I won't nurse." Of course, DD keeps getting older, so that number keeps going up :LOL

#7 of 11 Old 05-05-2005, 05:02 AM

Oh yes, Reuben told me on his 3rd birthday he still needed milkies, and by 3 1/2 he started telling me "When I 4 I not need milkies." He actually weaned at almost 45 mos, except 1 mo later he asked for "Just 5"... (nurse for a count of 5)

So that's where we are now... he's asking for "5"s again most nights.... he's now going on 46 mos.
#8 of 11 Old 05-05-2005, 11:14 PM

My oldest (and only "weaner") decided when he was 4.5 years old that he would wean on his fifth birthday. He was nursing 1-4 times a day at that point. As his birthday approached he nursed less and less. A month before his birthday I told him his birthday was coming up and he said he knew and that he would wean. I reminded him of his birthday (not that he said he would wean) a week before his brirthday and he said that he changed his mind about weaning. I said that was fine and assured him that it was his choice when he would wean and that he would do it when he was ready. The night before his birthday he decided that he would indeed wean. He asked to sleep with me that night and before he nursed he asked me to tell him our story...his birth, nursing him, nursing through his little brother's pregnancy, tandem nursing, nursing through his sister's pregnancy, triandem nursing ... as he nursed, which I did. He nursed for over 20 minutes while I told our story and went blissfully to sleep as soon as we finished. It is one of my most treasured memories and was the last time he nursed.

He did ask to nurse (out of habit) for several months after weaning, but would right after asking would laugh and say, "Oh, I forgot!" or I would ask him if he was still a "weaner" (our little joke) and he would laugh and say yes. He tried to nurse a couple times a few weeks/months after weaning but was laughing too hard to actually latch on. He still, at age 6, loves to cuddle with me with a hand on each side of my breast.

I continue to nurse my almost-5 year old and almost-3 year old and am 21 weeks pregnant. I'm wondering when/how my older nurslings will wean...but not rushing them by any means!!!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#9 of 11 Old 05-07-2005, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What a beautiful thread...Thanks for sharing these moments, everyone...
#10 of 11 Old 05-07-2005, 04:05 PM

Amanda---

I have read your DS's weaning story more than once and every time, it is just so sweet I start

#11 of 11 Old 05-07-2005, 09:15 PM

Thanks...it has the same effect on me! :

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page