Why is it that when nursing toddler needs me most, the nursing is most irritating??? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 05-09-2005, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
DS is 2 and we have new baby on the way anytime.

I really had very few issues nursing while PG...it was still so beneficial for both of us even though the milk was gone.

But this week, DS is sooooo very two years old and sick with a cold and waking up 10 times a night to nurse. He needs me most NOW I know but NOW is when the constant twiddling and difficult nursing is driving me nuts. That toddler suck expecially when they are sick, just makes my skin crawl.

Not sure if my husband gets it. He is VERY pro-extended nursing (he was not nursed at all) and so wants me to nurse him anyway. Yesterday, DH napped with him and they fell asleep together which was heaven for me, because I could sleep too in another room.

Felt like a mean mommy on Mother's Day to try to get him to hug the me-me's instead of have some.

Sigh.....

Me, 42
Hubs, 44
Married 22 years
Two boys 11 and 9
and a HUGE surprise: EDD June 4th - BOY #3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-09-2005, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

No answers, as I have the same question (though not the same situation). WHY does he need to nurse the MOST when I can stand it the LEAST?!?!?! Right now he's sick (which I can understand) but most of the time, he needs to nurse the most when I'm at **the** height of PMS...

Makes me wish I had detachable boobs...
#3 of 6 Old 05-10-2005, 04:52 PM

We have our days too. Nursing the toddler is especially hard for me when he is being whiny and nagging me, but if I stop and think about it rationally, it really is the quickest fix, and the most sure-fire way to improve his mood. It's just hard sometimes when I'm annoyed or right in the middle of something to put myself in that nursing frame of mind and sit down, snuggle, and let him nurse, but it usually improves the situation. Nursing through pregnancy can be hard; nursing a newborn and a toddler can be even harder but it can also be a blessing because when you're pregnant and so tired, or post-partum and so so tired, it really is the easiest way to give love and attention to a toddler who needs you so much.

You're doing a great job. I don't know if I've helped, but just wanted to tell you that I understand how you are feeling.

#4 of 6 Old 05-10-2005, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, as someone with a nursing toddler and a new baby, I am pretty sure that whenever my dd (2) picks up on my frustration and short fuse, she wants to nurse for reassurance because of it (and it's really annoying because of said frustration and short fuse...) It happens over and over and over again.

Not very convenient, is it?
#5 of 6 Old 05-11-2005, 01:52 PM

Same exact thing happened to us. Starting in the last few weeks of pregnancy, DS wanted to nurse A LOT and it just drove me crazy. I was having a really hard time with the heebie jeebies.

After the baby was born he continued to nurse very frequently, but my aversion went away like magic. Sometimes I still felt a little annoyed at spending so much time nursing, but I never got that "ahhhh get this kid off me!" feeling again.

DD is now 7 1/2 weeks and nursing avidly. Her big brother is back to nursing 2 or 3 times a day.

So hang in there mama!! It will get easier.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#6 of 6 Old 05-12-2005, 02:00 AM

Yes, Hang in there!!!
The ease of being able to nurse while you ahve a baby is SO worth it!!!!

I am now 4 months pregnant, and nrusing a 2 1/2 year old,
(I was in the same situation 3 years ago!)
I get the heeby jeebies- terrible, and early on, with both pregnancies.
Sometimes the kids just laying near me makes me want to scream!
I have heard other mothers say the same thing, and I think it must be some kind of pregnancy hormone.

Explain to your husband how you are feeling, and that it really is a pregnancy issue, not a wanting to longterm breastfeed or good momma issue. Get his help! More days where he naps with your son, etc. I also found that once I ahd the baby, my first child turned to my husband for so much comfort and attention, anyhow.

SO, hang in there! It is so worth it to wean when your child is ready too, esp. with a baby on the way!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!!!
b

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page