Is Nightweaning an aspect of Child Led Weaning? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 92 Old 08-01-2005, 12:14 AM
 
TiredX2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: it appears to be a handbasket
Posts: 19,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
I have to admit that I lost the love when it was every 45 minutes for month after month, though. Plus, he started favoring laying far away from me while he was nursing... and not being particularly well-endowed, it really hurt!
I generally insist that DS lies on his side next to me close, because a lot of times he will try to roll on his back and scoot away with the nipple still clamped firmly!

 

 

TiredX2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 of 92 Old 08-01-2005, 05:13 AM
 
~Kira~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Child-led Night Weaning = Okee-dokee


Mother-led Night Weaning = Better suited topic for one of the other BFing boards



My DS Dante (now 21 months old) night-weaned on his own at 10 months old. I remember waking up at 3 am, covered in sweat, freaking out of my mind, thinking "The baby is dead, OMG!" because he hadn't woken up to nurse.

I guess he was just ready for it.

I think that child-led night weaning topics/posts should be fine on this board.



-Kira
~Kira~ is offline  
#33 of 92 Old 08-01-2005, 02:56 PM
 
Dragonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: On the Brink
Posts: 6,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
I generally insist that DS lies on his side next to me close, because a lot of times he will try to roll on his back and scoot away with the nipple still clamped firmly!
And this is the reason I think our nipples should be made of rubber. :LOL

Our nighttime nursing sessions turned into wrestling matches. He would latch on, then push my body away with his hands while pulling his head waaaaaaaay back. I'd explain to him that it hurt and pull him closer and he'd continue pushing away. Not so fun.
Dragonfly is offline  
 
#34 of 92 Old 08-01-2005, 03:05 PM
 
Dragonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: On the Brink
Posts: 6,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kira~
I think that child-led night weaning topics/posts should be fine on this board.
I disagree. And here's why: I truly don't believe that night-weaning is "weaning" at all. I guess it can be if a mother decides to make those the first nursings she drops on the way to her goal of mother-led weaning. For many of us who practice child-led weaning, though, we place limits on night-time nursing (respectful limits, of course - only those a child is developmentally ready for) out of necessity in the same manner that some mothers who practice child-led weaning do during the day. The only difference is that it's dark outside.

Maybe it's one of those "you have to have been there" things. Your ds stopped nursing at night at 10 months. I'm glad it worked out that way for you. When you have an older child who is waking incredibly frequently at night to nurse for a few seconds out of habit and you're at your wit's end from exhaustion and you want to figure out how to help that situation without encouraging weaning, child-led weaning mamas are more likely the mamas you want advice from.

I can tell you from experience that this idea that placing limits at night wrecks child-led weaning is bunk. It just is. And continuing to insist that it does serves no end except to alienate people who are, in actuality, on the same path to respect their child's needs and allow their children to wean on their own schedule. It's misguided and divisive.
Dragonfly is offline  
#35 of 92 Old 08-01-2005, 11:45 PM
 
~Kira~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
I disagree.

That's cool...I don't have the heart to get into it. We just finished helping my parents move today so I'm just exhausted!

I don't believe that setting boundaries / limits for older babies / children when it comes to night-time nursing, or anytime nursing for that matter, is weaning. That's just my take on it. I kind of think of weaning as being done with the intention to totally end nursing in short order. Kinda....Shoot, I'm not making any sense, I should really just delete this and try again tomorrow..

Ah what the heck...

Okay, edited to add:

In my first post, I was meaning mother-led night weaning as in mom having the goal not wanting to nurse at night, at all, ever, period, regardless of if baby/toddler was ready for that yet. I don't suspect that happens very often at all (if ever) among this crowd, but being a member of some more mainstream boards where that is common-place, I guess I can't get that definition out of my head, kwim?

Hope that clears up what I obviously garbled before.

If not, I'll try again when I'm not all sticky, sweaty, and bushed! :LOL






-Kira
~Kira~ is offline  
#36 of 92 Old 08-02-2005, 03:42 AM
 
quaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"If there is such a great need for a child to nurse at night, a mother learns to sleep through it, or deal with loss of sleep and nap during the day when the child naps, or seek help if possible from other people, or whatever."


Problem is, some moms don't learn to sleep through it, some moms have other toddlers/kids that refuse to nap and thus the mom can't nap, and some moms don't have the support system. In my case I have an almost 3 year old who doesn't nap, and noone to help out, a 17m old who has never slept a night in her life, and likes to stay attached to me... my back has finally given up by the position I have to sleep in to nurse.


I really think DragonFly has a good take on it. When most people say night-weaning they aren't talking about night-weaning. They are talking about a relative small period of time where the mom is putting a few boundaries in place. But, with all the shades of gray, I think this has been an interesting thread to read... on both sides of the discussion.

Tammy
quaz is offline  
#37 of 92 Old 08-02-2005, 02:49 PM
 
ShabbyChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but if the child wakes to nurse, then doesn't he need it? I am reading coments saying that when the child was emotionally/physically ready to not nurse at night then he was "pushed" in that direction. How does one know when their child is ready. Really, I just figured because DS wakes at night to nurse then he "needs" it. He is 17 months now. I figure if he "needs" to nurse at 3 in the night, well then that is what he needs.

My 4 year old "has to tell you something" at 3AM usually. Well, I guess she "needs" to. So, I listen and then we go back to sleep. I thought that is what I signed up for. If I was thirsty in the night and for whatever reason needed my DH to get me water, I would be rip roaring pissed if he refused to help me.

So, I guess I believe that any discussion of weaning; night or mother-prodded, or whatever, other than child-led doesn't belong here.

Why subscribe to a forum that you disagree with? Child-Led. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Anything other than that belongs elsewhere.
ShabbyChic is offline  
#38 of 92 Old 08-02-2005, 05:37 PM
 
Katiemare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: here and now
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChic
Anything other than that belongs elsewhere.
The whole board can't agree on where the fine-line between CLW and RESPECTFUL, gentle parent-led wning is located. It won't happen. May i suggest that if you are so adamant that no mom ever set limits when the sun goes down, that you not read threads with "night-weaning" in the title?

It seemed that before SC's post, most of us had come to an agreement that those of us who Do set nighttime limits are gently doing so out of necessity for mom, when baby is physically and emotionally ready.

Also, a child may not be "waking to nurse." He may have woken up because of a noise in the house or just as part of the normal toddler-obics in his sleep. And since the boob is right there. . . why not? That's how it is once your child is ready to drop some feedings. It's out of habit, not out of necessity.

It isn't right to just try to shut down a conversation because it isn't perfectly tailored to your beliefs. We aren't putting bitter tasting stuff on our nipples. We aren't telling our kids that they are too old to nurse. Often there is no significant decrease in the amount of milk the child gets in a 24-hour cycle because they take in fewer, longer nursing sessions and it all evens out.

I have yet to start a nightweaning thread on this board, and don't ever plan on it. But, if someone asks in this forum I will answer with my experience. Remember that if the poster comes to CLW to post about it, she obviously wants a very lactivist approach to the idea. So save your judgements.
Katiemare is offline  
#39 of 92 Old 08-02-2005, 08:01 PM
 
mom2threenurslings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the midst of chaos in CT
Posts: 2,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to agree with the concept of ShabbyChic's post - to me, if a nursling wakes at night and asks (in some way, shape or form) to nurse, then it would seem to be a need to nurse, and a mother denying that nursing session (or those nursing sessions) would be actively cutting out a nursing session/sessions, which to me doesn't go with the concept of Child-Led Weaning. The mother would be leading the way.

However, if the mother believes that the night-nursing child is doing so out of habit rather than need and offers an alternative to the child when the child asks to nurse and the child happily accepts the alternative without voicing again the need to nurse (and mother nurses if the child indicates the need to nurse at the time), then that could be within reason for CLW. If the mother speaks with the child about the need to stop night nursing, the intent to stop night nursing, that nursing is going to be a daytime thing only, etc. - then the mother is leading the way and not allowing the child to.

To me, cutting down on frequency of nursing is a form of weaning. Cutting out hours of the day in which the child is allowed to nurse is a form of weaning (whether it's day or night). Actively getting a child to stop nursing during specific times of day is weaning. Weaning isn't an all - or -nothing thing - partial weaning is still weaning.

I'm not saying that limit-setting within reason is a bad thing - but that some limit-setting IS a form of weaning. If the child does need to nurse and the mom refuses and the need isn't met, to me, it's a form of weaning.

I do set limits on nursing - I won't nurse my children while I'm driving (but I will pull over to nurse an infant), while I'm cooking (but I will take a break from cooking if someone needs to nurse), while I'm going to the bathroom (unless it can't be avoided - I'll nurse an infant while I pee, but not my 5 year old as he can wait! ) - but I don't refuse to nurse if the child needs to. I may ask the child (who can understand) to wait a few minutes, but I'll always fill the need.

Yes, some nightweaning threads are appropriate in the CLWing forums - for me those would include (but not be limited to) posts looking for nightnursing support and ways to avoid nightweaning, posts looking for information on the alternatives to nightweaning, posts looking for suggestions as to how to get through the night/day when night nursing becomes too difficult and demanding, etc. It's the help me to nightwean and support me in nightweaning and how do I nightwean posts that I think belong in one of the other breastfeeding forums.

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

mom2threenurslings is offline  
#40 of 92 Old 08-02-2005, 09:32 PM
 
ShabbyChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is quite the nastiest post I have ever read here. I was not at all making a judgement. I was just stating how I see it. Obviously, I touched a really sore spot for you, and for that I am sorry it left you so hot headed. I certainly was not trying to shut down a conversation. I re-read my post and I am certainly aware when I sound judgemental, and this I believe is not one of those times. Maybe, if you think I was judging, you should re-read your post, because clearly you judged me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiemare
The whole board can't agree on where the fine-line between CLW and RESPECTFUL, gentle parent-led wning is located. It won't happen. May i suggest that if you are so adamant that no mom ever set limits when the sun goes down, that you not read threads with "night-weaning" in the title?

It seemed that before SC's post, most of us had come to an agreement that those of us who Do set nighttime limits are gently doing so out of necessity for mom, when baby is physically and emotionally ready.

Also, a child may not be "waking to nurse." He may have woken up because of a noise in the house or just as part of the normal toddler-obics in his sleep. And since the boob is right there. . . why not? That's how it is once your child is ready to drop some feedings. It's out of habit, not out of necessity.

It isn't right to just try to shut down a conversation because it isn't perfectly tailored to your beliefs. We aren't putting bitter tasting stuff on our nipples. We aren't telling our kids that they are too old to nurse. Often there is no significant decrease in the amount of milk the child gets in a 24-hour cycle because they take in fewer, longer nursing sessions and it all evens out.

I have yet to start a nightweaning thread on this board, and don't ever plan on it. But, if someone asks in this forum I will answer with my experience. Remember that if the poster comes to CLW to post about it, she obviously wants a very lactivist approach to the idea. So save your judgements.
ShabbyChic is offline  
#41 of 92 Old 08-03-2005, 12:09 AM
 
TiredX2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: it appears to be a handbasket
Posts: 19,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like some clarification, please.

It seems like several people have said that having night-weaning threads in this forum is helpful because of the different advice you would get from other boards.

But, generally, isn't that advice *against* night weaning? So, perhaps if what people are looking for is not advice on *how* to night wean, but rather on *whether* to night-wean, they could just be more careful with the title? Sound reasonable, or am I missing something?

I also feel the need to clarify something. Generally, when people night-wean, in the *pure* meaning of the word--- withhold nursing for 10-12 hours a night against their childs will, I feel that goes directly against the spirit, if not the "rules" of CLW.

BUT, I do see a large grey area. For example, if a mother enrolled her child in a fun class in the afternoon and they were doing an art project and the child (3-4, lets say) asked to nurse and the mom said, "how about later, lets do this painting" and the child *agreed*--- it seems like most people accept that as in tune with CLW (of course, if the child proceeded to beg & cry and the mother refussed that is a different situation). In the same vein, if a child (3-4, lets say) is asking to nurse every time they roll over in the night and the mom said, "lets nurse in the morning, I'm really tired, nursies are sleepy..." and the child *agree*--- how is that *really* different (of course, once again, if the child proceeded to beg & cry and the mother continued to refuse that is a different situation).

A major issue is that not only do we each have our own definitions of CLW, we also have our own defintions of: nightwean, sleep through the night, child respectful, CIO, etc... When many of those definitions converge I think people are actually more in agreement than they would think--- they are just using different terms to express their feelings.

And I think there are definatley threads we can *all* agree on don't belong here. It makes me want to go start one so the forum members can bond in solidarity

 

 

TiredX2 is offline  
#42 of 92 Old 08-03-2005, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
 
UrbanPlanter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: at work
Posts: 5,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1st: mom2threenurslings, I loved your post. Thank you.

2nd: Tired, to answer your questions: basically, for me, if my son indicates a need to nurse, I usually nurse unless it is inconvenient; then I ask him if he can wait. If he can't wait, I try to accomodate him. This goes for day or night. Lately at night it's usually inconvenient bc I am woken up and very tired, so I will sometimes (actually, lately it is often) ask him to wait a bit or until Daddy's alarm goes off or until the sun comes up; his usual response is protest, so we nurse.

I'm too tired to elaborate more right now, but that's basically how we are doing it.
UrbanPlanter is offline  
#43 of 92 Old 08-03-2005, 02:46 AM
 
~Kira~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
Generally, when people night-wean, in the *pure* meaning of the word--- withhold nursing for 10-12 hours a night against their childs will, I feel that goes directly against the spirit, if not the "rules" of CLW.

BUT, I do see a large grey area. For example, if a mother enrolled her child in a fun class in the afternoon and they were doing an art project and the child (3-4, lets say) asked to nurse and the mom said, "how about later, lets do this painting" and the child *agreed*--- it seems like most people accept that as in tune with CLW (of course, if the child proceeded to beg & cry and the mother refussed that is a different situation). In the same vein, if a child (3-4, lets say) is asking to nurse every time they roll over in the night and the mom said, "lets nurse in the morning, I'm really tired, nursies are sleepy..." and the child *agree*--- how is that *really* different (of course, once again, if the child proceeded to beg & cry and the mother continued to refuse that is a different situation).



:




-Kira
~Kira~ is offline  
#44 of 92 Old 08-03-2005, 12:43 PM
 
Dragonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: On the Brink
Posts: 6,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChic
Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but if the child wakes to nurse, then doesn't he need it? I am reading coments saying that when the child was emotionally/physically ready to not nurse at night then he was "pushed" in that direction. How does one know when their child is ready.
One knows by knowing their child and sometimes by trying. If it doesn't work, then your child is obviously not ready for it. In our case, my decision to stop nursing for a period at night was because I knew my son's personality and I could tell that his extremely night-waking was not really about nutrition or connecting - it was about habit. This was verified for me when I tried and met with hardly any resistance (and my son isn't one to not put up a major fight when he feels strongly about something).

When I made the decision to try to cut out night-time nursing (for us it was only for about 5 hours - until he started sleeping longer periods on his own about a year later), I did it with zero intention of interrupting child-led weaning. If my son had protested, I would not have pushed it. My son is still weaning in his own time. That's why I think I belong on this board - I firmly believe in child-led weaning.

And, btw, the example you gave about your daughter waking up because she needed to tell you something or you waking up because you need a drink - totally different. Waking so frequently was affecting my son's health, as well as my own. He still most nights wakes up to tell me something or get a drink and I honor that need because it's not harming either one of us.
Dragonfly is offline  
#45 of 92 Old 08-03-2005, 12:47 PM
 
Dragonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: On the Brink
Posts: 6,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threenurslings
To me, cutting down on frequency of nursing is a form of weaning. Cutting out hours of the day in which the child is allowed to nurse is a form of weaning (whether it's day or night). Actively getting a child to stop nursing during specific times of day is weaning. Weaning isn't an all - or -nothing thing - partial weaning is still weaning.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see it as weaning at all - and apparently my son didn't either. Probably because he wasn't waking because he needed to nurse.

Quote:
I may ask the child (who can understand) to wait a few minutes, but I'll always fill the need.
So let's say you asked the child to wait a few minutes and s/he happened to fall asleep for a 3-hour nap. Are you suddenly "partially weaning?"
Dragonfly is offline  
#46 of 92 Old 08-03-2005, 01:55 PM
 
mom2threenurslings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the midst of chaos in CT
Posts: 2,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
So let's say you asked the child to wait a few minutes and s/he happened to fall asleep for a 3-hour nap. Are you suddenly "partially weaning?"
No...because that would be a one-time thing, or within reason for CLWing because, if s/he didn't protest to being asked to wait and fell asleep on her/his own, it wouldn't be a NEED to nurse, it would be a WANT to nurse.

I totally agree that if Mama can say "How about I rub your back instead?" or "Would you rather have a drink of water?" or something similar and the child is receptive and doesn't protest, that it goes along with CLW. But I don't agree that limiting nursing to only specific hours of the day (when the sun is up ... from 8am-10pm .... from 8pm-8am...whatever) is in tune with the concept of CLW.

And btw...what is a 3 hour nap?!? My kids never went that long without nursing when they were of napping age! :LOL

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

mom2threenurslings is offline  
#47 of 92 Old 08-03-2005, 02:33 PM
 
Dragonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: On the Brink
Posts: 6,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threenurslings
No...because that would be a one-time thing, or within reason for CLWing because, if s/he didn't protest to being asked to wait and fell asleep on her/his own, it wouldn't be a NEED to nurse, it would be a WANT to nurse.
Exactly. And this was my experience with asking my son to wait at night. And this is exactly the sort of advice that women who want to continue to practice CLW but feel that they need to set limits at night could probably get on this board that they might not get on others.

Quote:
But I don't agree that limiting nursing to only specific hours of the day (when the sun is up ... from 8am-10pm .... from 8pm-8am...whatever) is in tune with the concept of CLW.
In general, I agree. But I also think it depends on the child. If the child is absolutely fine with only nursing during the day - say he nurses at 10, wakes up at 12 and mother asks him to wait; he's fine with that and falls asleep again until morning - then that long period of not nursing is still compatible with CLW, IMO.

Quote:
And btw...what is a 3 hour nap?!? My kids never went that long without nursing when they were of napping age! :LOL
I know. I've heard tales of kids who do that but I had the anti-napper. :LOL
I was just throwing it out there as a comparable example where a CLW mother might put limits on her child that could have the same result as night-time limits.
Dragonfly is offline  
#48 of 92 Old 08-03-2005, 02:35 PM
 
Dragonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: On the Brink
Posts: 6,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threenurslings
No...because that would be a one-time thing, or within reason for CLWing because, if s/he didn't protest to being asked to wait and fell asleep on her/his own, it wouldn't be a NEED to nurse, it would be a WANT to nurse.
BTW, just to address this difference between "needing" and "wanting" tp nurse - I'm not sure how you were meaning this, but I think it's important to say that I don't feel comfortable with distinguishing needs and wants where nursing is concerned. I tend to think that if a child wants to nurse, then s/he needs to nurse.
Dragonfly is offline  
#49 of 92 Old 08-03-2005, 04:17 PM
 
mom2threenurslings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the midst of chaos in CT
Posts: 2,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For my NEED / WANT comment - I guess I was just trying to find a short way of distinguishing between a need to nurse (which can include simply wanting to nurse) in which case the child would insist on nursing and asking to nurse due to boredom, habit, etc. in which case the child doesn't really particularly have his/her heart set on nursing and just sees it as something to do (and can take it or leave it). Sorry!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

mom2threenurslings is offline  
#50 of 92 Old 08-03-2005, 05:27 PM
 
MamaE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Perpetual DIY-land
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threenurslings
Yes, some nightweaning threads are appropriate in the CLWing forums - for me those would include (but not be limited to) posts looking for nightnursing support and ways to avoid nightweaning, posts looking for information on the alternatives to nightweaning, posts looking for suggestions as to how to get through the night/day when night nursing becomes too difficult and demanding, etc. It's the help me to nightwean and support me in nightweaning and how do I nightwean posts that I think belong in one of the other breastfeeding forums.
That all sounds reasonable to me!
MamaE is offline  
#51 of 92 Old 08-04-2005, 06:22 AM
 
mother_sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Big Island
Posts: 2,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was trying to avoid this thread altogether because of another thread just like it a couple of years back that left me feeling needlessly guilty. But today I peeked and got sucked in :LOL.

My dd weaned over a year ago but I really just want to chime in and say that I nightweaned my dd years before she weaned herself. It was not done cruelly, I did not abandon her and leave her to soothe herself. I held her in my arms, in our family bed. But I don't feel that I have to justify nor explain myself to feel validated as a one who practiced "child-led weaning". My daughter decided when it was time for her to fully wean from the breast, and that was over half a decade later. If I would have allowed her to continue nursing at night I don't doubt that she would have nursed at night til the end (as bedtime was the last nursing session to go). When she nursed, she could nurse for hours (literally) and very strongly to the point that there was no way I could sleep through it. This child ran on very strong instincts. And my sanity played a huge role in my ability to be a good mother.

That doesn't mean that I advocate night-weaning and encourage other moms to do it. It just means that it is what worked for us and allowed us to continue until dd was ready to wean. When a mother posts for advice on night-weaning, in whatever forum, I leave it be. I think she gets very caring advice in this forum. I also think a mother should do what's best for her and her child (what feels right), not what others tell her to do. And if that entails letting her child ultimately decide when to wean, then I think she fully "belongs" in this forum.

I've said this before, but putting too stringent of a definition on child-led weaning is defeating the whole ideal (and perhaps not understanding) the base idea that children will ultimately fully wean in their own time, gentle limits and all. Those who try to be perfect, from start to finish, are setting themselves up for failure, imo. And expecting other mothers to do the same would be excluding a lot of mothers who can give and receive a great deal of much-needed support here.

mother_sunshine is offline  
#52 of 92 Old 08-04-2005, 04:52 PM
 
Katiemare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: here and now
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_sunshine

I've said this before, but putting too stringent of a definition on child-led weaning is defeating the whole ideal (and perhaps not understanding) the basic idea that children will ultimately fully wean in their own time, gentle limits and all. Those who try to be perfect, from start to finish, are setting themselves up for failure, imo. And expecting other mothers to do the same would be excluding a lot of mothers who can give and receive a great deal of much-needed support here.

YES!
Katiemare is offline  
#53 of 92 Old 08-04-2005, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
UrbanPlanter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: at work
Posts: 5,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_sunshine
I was trying to avoid this thread altogether because of another thread just like it a couple of years back that left me feeling needlessly guilty. But today I peeked and got sucked in :LOL.
I forgot all about that thread! And here I am starting it all over again! : I remember your story, M_S. Your post, as usual, is beautiful .

I have been in such a crappy, sleep-deprived mood lately. My posts reflect this!

My body actually has started to fight back at me not sleeping. Yesterday I couldn't keep my eyes open and fell asleep while ds was playing at home alone with me (several times). I was practically non-functional all day. When dh came home there was no food for dinner, the dog was not walked, the house was a mess.... actually, this happens a lot, but yesterday to top it all off I was just a lump of lead, unable to move.

I actually wish I could nightwean! (I guess I said this already). I'm starting to see a glimmer of the light at the end of the tunnel - but the long stretches of his sleep start at 8 or 9pm, and I can't get myself to sleep before 11 or 12, and he inevitably wakes to nurse at 12 or 1. Then, every hour or two after that, and then constantly from sunrise (which is now 5ish am) to getting up (around 7 or 8am). Every. Single. Night. And this is an improvement over six months ago!
UrbanPlanter is offline  
#54 of 92 Old 08-04-2005, 06:05 PM
 
hottmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,203
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 2.5 and still nurses at least 10 times a day (although he's probably nursed 20 times already today- he's NAK now), and I fully believe in CLW and expect to nurse him until at least 4 or 5. I night-weaned him shortly after his first birthday.
I have scoliosis and all sorts of back problems, and my son was latching on when I got into bed and not unlatching (although I tried every trick in every book) until we got up in the morning. This continued for over 6 months. I was in such severe pain I could not sleep and was having trouble walking during the day from being stuck in the side-lying nursing position all night long.
Also, when my son turned 1 he started spending a night a week at his dad's house and had no problem getting to sleep or sleeping through the night there, so I knew he was physically capable of sleeping through the night with no fuss.
For 3-4 nights, there were a few tears as I gently refused to nurse at night. Within a week, he had completely stopped waking during the night. We both felt much better during the day (and he went from the 1st to the 80th percentile in weight, with no other changes) and I was able to walk again! My son occasionally needs to nurse in the night if he wakes up and has trouble sleeping, which I am fine with.
I am pregnant with #2 and hope that this baby will not get into that terrible habit- I could handle nursing 4 or so times a night for 2-3 years, I'm sure.
I think night-weaning can be an incredible thing in situations like mine, and I don't think my dedication to CLW is any less because I could not handle overwhelming amounts of physical pain day in and day out after my son reached the point where I knew a little nudge would end it.
hottmama is offline  
#55 of 92 Old 08-04-2005, 06:49 PM
 
mother_sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Big Island
Posts: 2,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
U.P.
mother_sunshine is offline  
#56 of 92 Old 08-04-2005, 07:57 PM
 
Katiemare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: here and now
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mandy, your story is a great example of a CLW, yet nightweaning mom. I had my own compelling medical reason for nightweaning as well. However, we shouldn't have to justify ourselves to people who label us (mother-guided, nudged, forced etc.) without knowing us. I am glad you guys are doing well and wish you a happy healthy pregnancy.
Katiemare is offline  
#57 of 92 Old 08-04-2005, 10:36 PM
 
TiredX2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: it appears to be a handbasket
Posts: 19,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanPlanter
actually wish I could nightwean! (I guess I said this already). I'm starting to see a glimmer of the light at the end of the tunnel - but the long stretches of his sleep start at 8 or 9pm, and I can't get myself to sleep before 11 or 12, and he inevitably wakes to nurse at 12 or 1. Then, every hour or two after that, and then constantly from sunrise (which is now 5ish am) to getting up (around 7 or 8am). Every. Single. Night. And this is an improvement over six months ago!
Any chance you can wake him up right before you go to bed and try to get him to nurse so he goes a few hours *then*?

I'm sorry you're getting worn down. Perhaps you should take my user name cause I'm, for the first time in close to 7 years, getting a fairly consistent 5 hours.

 

 

TiredX2 is offline  
#58 of 92 Old 08-06-2005, 11:28 AM
 
momo7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: hither, thither, and yon
Posts: 1,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite
Nightweaning is not clw- the mom is initiating it therefore I see no backing for calling it clw.

But that's not true. At least not for me. My baby who is four mos old...stopped nursing at night, even though she sleeps in the bed with me and DH, and doesn't have a crib. I don't know what's brought it about...she just doesn't nurse at night anymore. I didn't do anything to initiate that process..she did it herself. I can't make her nurse if she doesn't want it. I do keep her close so it's there.

Not every mother who has night-weaned makes that choice...sometimes babies actually might know what they want.

 

 

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

 

 

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

 

James M. Barrie

momo7 is offline  
#59 of 92 Old 08-06-2005, 12:01 PM
 
callmemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: midwest
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Glad you popped in Mother Sunshine! You are the "CLW role model" I referred to in my post a few pages back.
callmemama is offline  
#60 of 92 Old 08-06-2005, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
 
UrbanPlanter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: at work
Posts: 5,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo7
But that's not true. At least not for me. My baby who is four mos old...stopped nursing at night, even though she sleeps in the bed with me and DH, and doesn't have a crib. I don't know what's brought it about...she just doesn't nurse at night anymore. I didn't do anything to initiate that process..she did it herself. I can't make her nurse if she doesn't want it. I do keep her close so it's there.

Not every mother who has night-weaned makes that choice...sometimes babies actually might know what they want.
But it was your baby who stopped nursing at night. You did not initiate it.

And, she may start nursing at night sometime again, during a growth spurt or developmental change. She is still very young.

There is an enormous difference between a child stopping the nursing at night and the mother stopping the nursing at night. Since the child stopped nursing at night, that was child-led.
UrbanPlanter is offline  
Reply


User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 1,108

8 members and 1,100 guests
bimaster , bioclotidtai , coumdupe5 , Iluminatis , kathymuggle , narbeech5 , omarinbox1888 , sarrahlnorris
Most users ever online was 21,860, 06-22-2018 at 09:45 PM.