Afraid of early weaning - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 12-21-2005, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS is about to turn 1. He's been on a 4-5X/day nursing schedule for a few months now. He nurses before I go to work, at lunch, when I get home, and before bed. Sometimes we toss one more in there. He's been nightweaned since about 7-8 months, mainly by his own choice. I encouraged it a little by comforting without nursing first. He actually went to sleep without his nighttime nurse the other day. He rarely nurses for comfort (he's got his thumb for that). The kid eats like a freaking horse and I'm worried that he's going to wean in a few months in favor of food (he would abandon me in a heartbeat in favor of bananas if I let him). I know that if he seems happy and satisfied and is growing well, I shouldn't be worried, but I guess I kinda feel like I have to live up to my MIL (DH was BFed till he was 4-5). I also want to show people that it is normal and healthy to nurse past 2, plus I want to give my son the absolute best start in life. It freaks me out that he might be weaning so early.

Sorry about the rambling...

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-22-2005, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
It's very normal for toddlers to lose interest in nursing temporarily and then go back to nursing with gusto. 9-12mo is a pretty common time for nursing strikes, and many toddlers start "nursing like newborns" again around 15mo or so. Of course, the exact age at which your baby will lose or regain interest in nursing can vary widely, but I thought you'd be reasured to know that the swings in interest are normal.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#3 of 3 Old 12-31-2005, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dd has scared me this way a few times, the las time at age 2. She's 2.5, and once those 2 year old molars stareted coming in, she increased her nursing again.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page