I hate tandem nursing. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 25 Old 01-06-2006, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, it's come to this. I need help. I am really resenting my older child nursing. She's only just turned two, and I know if circumstances were different (had I not been pregnant, if I didn't have a 5 week old) I probably wouldn't have any of these feelings. But circumstances aren't different. They're what they are.

When DD1 was about 18 months old I thought she'd weaned. My milk had dried up due to pregnancy and we'd had a soft transition from nursing constantly to nursing maybe every four days or so. Then colostrum came in. And imagine my surprise when she latched on one day and declared that "Su-su's" were now "num-num." Back she went to nursing every couple of hours. *pulls hair out.*

During that month that I had thought she weaned I really enjoyed spending non-nursing time with DD. Sitting together, cuddling, reading books, and sharing stories. Once she started nursing again all that went out the window. It's been 7 months since she started nursing again and in that time we've been able to sit and share happily together without nursing less then a handful of times. I feel like a boob-machine. She can't get within 5 feet of me without asking to nurse.

Now that DD2 is here it's escalated. She wants to nurse ALL the time. More then the newborn. It used to be that I enjoyed nursing DD1 80% of the time, then 50%, and now (I swear) I resent nursing her almost 98% of the time. Everything about it bothers me. Her teeth, her hands twiddling on my skin...

I feel horrible writing this, but I need advice.

Up until this point I was a huge proponent of CLW. Now I find myself seriously considering cutting DD1 off completely. I dream about the time when DD1 can be next to me and not ask for "su-su's."

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 01-06-2006, 03:29 PM

First off don't beat yourself up for having these feelings. But know that your oldest nursling is normal for wanting to nurse as much as the newborn. It's her way of dealing with a new family member, plus all the good mama milk that's in such great supply! And the great antibodies that come with it.
Are you drinking enough water? That's usually the root of any touched out woes i get. It's so easy to neglect your needs when your a new mom of two.
Other moms will tell you that the more you deny your nursling the more they want it. And that's absolutey true!
It will get easier, just be a little bit more patient with your oldest right now. She really does need this. And remember, your recovering from pregnancy/delivery so try to be a bit more patient/forgiving of yourself.
So, drink more water, put up your feet, nurse, and enjoy the peace and quiet with two nurslings. It will settle to a more normal routine again, just give it a little bit more time. Concentrate on the good.
You still have to mother two even if they weren't nursing.
I bet you haven't had any engorgement problems
#3 of 25 Old 01-06-2006, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i feel the SAME WAY!! mine are 27months and 4months. i could have written your post. i have no advise but i will stick around for some.

#4 of 25 Old 01-06-2006, 03:45 PM

Okay, first Second, it does pass. I am posting a link for you.....This was me, almost two years ago. Read it. and then realize that I am still tandem nursing It DOES pass. Believe me, it doesn't feel like it right now, but it does.

https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=126298

#5 of 25 Old 01-06-2006, 05:26 PM

I'm struggling with this too. The feelings haven't passed for me, after a year, but intesified. My older daughter is nursing less frequently, but it is awful for me every time. I don't know what to do. I'll be posting my own thread, but it is nice to see that I'm not alone.
#6 of 25 Old 01-07-2006, 02:37 PM

I totally understand how you feel. I totally dreaded nursing my dd (may be self weaned now, hasn't nursed for 3 weeks). My dd and ds are exactly 30 months apart and sometimes seemed like twins because they nursed the same amount for so long. I was at the point where I felt like I hated my dd because of her constant desire to nurse and I felt very protective of my then newborn ds. However, the more I pushed dd away the more she insisted to nurse. Eventually, I got to the point where I refused to nurse them at the same time and dd and I came to an understanding that she would have to wait until ds was done. As time went on things improved greatly. Ds started playing, and then crawling and walking and no longer nursed so often. When this happenned dd also nursed more infrequently and they started playing together. Other things that helped were, wearing ds in a sling so dd didn't know whether I was nursing him or not and having grandparents and friends over often to play with and distract dd. Hang in there it will get better! Good Luck!
#7 of 25 Old 01-07-2006, 07:24 PM

i haven't had those feelings *YET* but please know that it's normal to feel that way. i wish i had some advice...i just wanted to tell you to hang in there, you're not alone, and i hope that you find peace with whatever you decide to do soon...
#8 of 25 Old 01-08-2006, 11:20 AM

I could have written your post too. I am the mom of a girl who is 5 1/2, weaned at 4, and my ds is now 30 mo old and nurses for naps (when he has them that is ) and at bedtime, maybe 1-2 times more in the night. We tandemed nursed for a total of 18 mo.

I remember feeling all the same things. It didn't help that ds had two emergency totally unplanned abdominal surgeries at one week of age, and having to go to another province by plane for it (due to living in an isolated area in Northern Canada at the time) so I was separated for 10 days from dd. To make a long story short dd was very insecure from all this and a velcro child, I had pp depression and anxiety disorder, and I found the first 6-8 mo especially very hard. I remember all that resentment to dd and frustration and guilt and at times hardly being able to stand looking at her...BUT...believe it or not it passed and I realized at one point that I had come to a peace about tandeming. Then one day I realized she weaned and I couldn't remember the last time she nursed.

Some of the things that helped me and may help you depending on the temparment of your dd...

-setting some sort of limit on nursing (a hard one for me but in the end it helped keep my sanity)...we nursed for as long as it took to say the ABC's and count to 10. She slowly learned to accept this and actually had fun with it. I let her nurse whenever, but only for a predetermined time. You may also try maybe just "sacred" nursing times and distract her at other times if that works.
-I found that for most of the time not nursing them together helped with that "antsy" feeling, and also reading a book while nursing helped to distract me.
-maybe dh can take dd and do "special" things with her while you catch up on your sleep, and when you feel refreshed and the wee one is not fussing, you can take her for some "mommy and me time"...some one on one with you that doesn't involve nursing.

I would HIGHLY recommend the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" by Hillary Flower, and also "How Weaning Happens" by Diane Bengson (this one has a great chapter on dealing with negative feelings). Both can be ordered through La Leche League.

Remember it really will pass, take one day at time or even one hour at a time. I used to think "ya, right" when people would say that and here I am on the other side of the fence!

Hugs...

Tina, dp James, ds Jonathan and dd Stephanie

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"
#9 of 25 Old 01-09-2006, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to apologize for taking so long to reply. Things are just nuts around here. Well, it's chaos under control... but there isn't much time in it all to jump online much. Thanks everyone for the replies, support, and advice. Just saying it 'out loud' that I'm not enjoying this has really helped me. I can't really confide in my folks or husband about how I'm feeling because the first thing they'd say is "wean." I know their intention would be well ment. I just am not sure if that's the advice I'm really looking for.

I've read the Adventures in Tandem Nursing book. Albiet prior to DD2's arrival. Maybe I need to get it back out again and read through some things. I have found that I just *cannot* nurse both girls at once. All that does is make it even more apparent the difference in the two nursing styles.

bleh.

The last week has been better though. I've taken some of the advice and tried to offer nursing to DD1 before she asks for it. That's helped because I'm nursing her when *I'm* ready and not just when she is. Plus, I've noticed that if I offer to nurse her and then a couple hours later I turn her down (Sorry, it happens) Then she's not nearly as upset about it.

Anyway, like always I need to go feed babies. I'll be back on later (hopefully) to search for more ideas.

Thanks again.
#10 of 25 Old 01-10-2006, 12:53 AM

Hang in there Baby Hopes!

I thought tandem nursing was going to be the panacea before dd was born, and then I got thrush and the dr. wouldn’t diagnose it and it lasted for weeks before I was able to get it under control. But we survived, pretty much intact!

I think you’ve gotten good advice and it is good that you figured out not nursing at the same time helps. You may find that your older dd may lose interest in her turn if she has to wait. Also, if I am not mistaken, your dd2 is very new, so you have a good chance that dd1 will be less invested in nursing as time passes. Really! Take it from me. I started out letting ds nurse whenever he wanted, when dd was as new as yours, but I also started setting limits. Initially I counted, but he hated it and always told me not to. So I just let him nurse a little while, as long as I feel is good enough for him to agree to let go, and then I tell him he needs to stop. He initiated a kind of ritual where I tell him to fill his mouth with milk, and then we quit. In our case, at least, it was the access that mattered, more than how much he actually got out of it! I did try to stay on my feet a lot and always offered ds food when he asked to nurse, in case he was just hungry. He was, half the time!

Good luck and just stay with your own feelings, you know what works best for you and your kids!
#11 of 25 Old 01-10-2006, 01:03 AM

this would be me too! glad to know Im not alone. when older dd nurses it is like fingernails on a chalk board. She askes all the time. I couldnt believe how much she now asks. I have started limiting her time to have her stop as soon as I have a letdown. If I try and stop her before then she screams for milk. If I ask her to stop after a letdown she will usually be fine with it. What really wears on me is when she nurses to go to sleep. Its almost like she keeps herself awake so she can nurse longer.
#12 of 25 Old 01-10-2006, 01:24 AM

Bless your heart
I so feel your pain......
My 2nd and 3rd were 21m to the day apart, nursing during the pregnancy was not too bad, he never slowed down though...at least every few hours.

After the baby came nursing him did feel different even though I didn't want it too, the larger mouth, touching my hair...the non-stop nursing, it just seemed my body rejected my toddler. I too felt like an endless boob supply to the kids, the time now seems like a blur in time, now they are 3 and 5. I did attempt distractions w/ him and sometimes this helped. I learned fast not to force nursing away from him as he only wanted it more. At 24m(3 months later) he self weaned.
The day is so vivid.....
I was rocking both kids, still in my robe and bottoms, the baby had just finished nursing, he asked for naanas, I pulled my robe open he just looked at the boob for a minute and then patted it as if to say goodbye and pulled the robe back to cover it, then put his head down to be rocked. He never nursed or ask to nurse again.....

Time makes everything better, just do what feels right and don't feel bad for any negative feelings, best wishes!
#13 of 25 Old 01-10-2006, 02:38 AM

First a big to you.

My first 2 where 21 mn apart and dd was a very high needs nurser. She did something very comparable to yours, slowed down nursing when my milk dried out and then picked up again when the colustrum came in. By the time ds was born she was nursing 4x (before/after sleep) a day for a total of 4 hrs.

When ds arrived she wanted to nurse everytime he did. I think I tried to nurse them at the same time for the first week and after being convinced I would crawl out of my skin if I continued, made dd wait until ds was done. I also stopped nursing her to sleep shortly after that-it was just too disruptive; I'd still nurse her before going to bed just not until she was actually out. And within a few weeks, I just told her flat out that I needed to go back to the nursing schedule that we had before ds was born. I also limited the amount of time per nursing session to 15min. I also made sure that I spent ds's naps having really focused attention with dd instead of doing housework or cooking.

We started really weaning dd when ds was 8mns old, we knew that we would want to ttc the following summer (about 6mn out) and I definately wasn't going to nurse 3 at a time. We removed a nursing session about every 6 weeks and she officially weaned the day after her third birthday.

I would go back to "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" for some motivation and reassurance. I'm sure that you will be able to come up with a nursing plan that works for you and your family. Best Wishes.
#14 of 25 Old 01-10-2006, 01:41 PM

I could have written your post, Baby Hopes...and was actually going write once I got a moment to sit down (without children attached!) I am a 'virgin' post-er, but read all the time and was just getting to the end of my rope and ready to beg for some advice! I am thrilled to know there are others out there that feel the same way. I have been feeling VERY guilty about the way I feel - trying to rationalize at the same time that I have been nursing my oldest for 3 1/2 years, so he is certainly not suffering!

I have been tandem nursing for almost 8 months now. Mine are both boys 3 1/2 and 7 1/2 months - I had gotten my older ds down to about three times a day (morning, nap, night) during the pregnancy, but since ds #2 came along, it has been non-stop. I read "Adventures" when it became apparent that ds #1 wasn't going to wean during pregnancy, so I knew that there might be a "renewed interest" in nursing, but holy cow! I wasn't prepared for the older one to want to nurse same/more than the baby...and I don't have small babies - both were 25# by 4 months... I only found a couple of suggestions for the older nursling in the books I read and none really seemed to help.

The part that was really tough was the first 8 weeks or so after the delivery, being exhausted, adjusting to two children, etc. and older ds wanting to nurse constantly. I have never really tried to deny him, but the baby was nursing every hour and he wanted to as well, and it was so exhausting and I was getting into emotionally charged moments with my dh over it. (DH has always been supportive, attachment father and bed sharer) Not a good time to argue with a postpartum mom over weaning issues...and anytime I got frustrated/crying about it, dh wanted to "solve" it by telling me to wean.

I have been putting up with the "antsy" feeling and resentment for quite a while now. Whenever I feel the worst, I play with oldest's hair and tell him I love him and it snaps me back into remembering why I nurse. Also, with two, tandeming is the greatest answer to bedtime or me taking a quick rest - ironically, even though at times it drives me crazy, I don't know what I'm going to do without it!

I guess I will just see how this continues to play out as both show no signs of stopping anytime soon. Thanks for all of the advice from everyone! It is encouraging to read that it won't be this way forever.

PS: Does anyone have an answer for the toddler waking me up two times a night now to nurse? He was sleeping through the night, now after the baby was born, all of a sudden he now needs "me-me" to make it through the night. I read "No-Cry Sleep Solution", but I can't tell him as suggested that the "me-me's" don't work at night, because the baby nurses at night, and how do you explain that?...any thoughts, Moms?

Devoted wife to Sean , Awesome mama to William 3 1/2 and Harrison 7 1/2 months :
#15 of 25 Old 01-10-2006, 04:26 PM

I tandem nursed my 2 year-old son and newborn daughter for 2 years! In the beginning, it was crazy, but I finally got a rhythm down with them. I would nurse them tandem a few times a day, and separately at other times. My son started holding my daughter's tiny hand, stroked her head and was very sweet with her, so I knew it was worth it!

No engorgement problems when you tandem nurse. Hooray!

Once the baby started kicking her brother too much, he didn't want to tandem as much. It seemed like it was nature's way of giving me more time just nursing the baby.

My son nursed until he was 4 years old (daughter did, too!), but the tandem time lasted less than a year. Once they get bigger, squirm and kick, it isn't so much fun for the toddler any more!

Don't hold back on nursing the toddler. Set aside nursing time for the toddler and you'll meet their needs. Before you know it, toddler will wean and you will long for the days of sweet, tandem nursing! Good luck. You are doing the right thing!
#16 of 25 Old 01-10-2006, 04:56 PM

I know a lot of moms that have had the same feelings as you. You are not alone!

There are so many variations that can happen when you are nursing and then become preganant. Some kids nurse all the way through and continue after the baby is born. Some stop suddenly, when the milk supply drops and the flavour turns "off" and never go back. Some gradually stop and pick up again after the baby is born (like what happened to you).

Also, I don't know if this will make you feel better or not, age 2 seems to be a huge transitional time for a lot of kids and they seem to nurse more than ever at this age. It does taper off between age 2 and 3 though.

I personally don't like the term "child-led weaning". It seems to imply that weaning is up to the child only and is on the opposite end of the spectrum of "parent enforced weaning". I prefer "mutually-led weaning". As nursing is a relationship between two people, weaning is also a part of this relationship. It is perfectly normal to encourage the weaning process. For some, weaning is a fairly sudden event and for some it is a very slow, gradual process (as it was for my son and I; he weaned at 4.3 years).

"Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" is a great book. I don't know if there is anything in there about tandem nursing though, but might be worth a look at anyway.
#17 of 25 Old 01-10-2006, 06:01 PM

I am really hating tandem nursing lately. I hate being fought over all the time and it really bothers me when DS does it. I don't mind nursing DD. The only thing keeping me going is my belief in CLW, otherwise I would of stopped ages ago. I'm glad I'm not alone (although it sucks to feel this way).
#18 of 25 Old 01-10-2006, 06:19 PM

[QUOTE=ceciliarowe]PS: Does anyone have an answer for the toddler waking me up two times a night now to nurse? He was sleeping through the night, now after the baby was born, all of a sudden he now needs "me-me" to make it through the night. I read "No-Cry Sleep Solution", but I can't tell him as suggested that the "me-me's" don't work at night, because the baby nurses at night, and how do you explain that?...any thoughts, Moms?

QUOTE]

this is my dd #1 too. only she wakes up 5+ times a night to nurse. I could use some help with that too. She was sleeping through the night during my pregnancy and now its driving me crazy. she wakes up more than the baby
#19 of 25 Old 01-10-2006, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We are not suffering from tandem nursing.We are suffering from lack of support in our communities!We are milk Goddesses!We should have doula-like maidens attending us with food,drink,massage,music,laughter,and more!And someone else doing the housework.For a minimun of 3 months-honestly,at least a year!WE ARE STILL IN LABOR HERE!!!!!Are we not?We cannot be expected to snap back into some form of childless 18 yr old with all the fun and energy of life!We are feeding our life to our children!All our energies are theirs and it is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!We should not be suffering in the light of such beauty.We should be recognized,aknowledged,appreciated,and supported in person,in our homes.
We need an organized network like a mix of DONA and LLL for nursing and tandeming and triandeming (and beyond) families.Women who share with and attend women in the first months of motherhood and nursing ESPECIALLY when nursing more than one.Lets talk to our local LLL Leaders,or midwives and doula's,our frends and neighbors and create the community support we all need so much!!!!!

Sorry to hijack to thread,but it needs to be said!Right?

(By the way,I am pregnant with #4 and thus triandem nursing-currently weaning the 4 yr old until birth,night weaning the 2 yr old until birth,and seeing what happens next!The 6 yr old strike-weaned at 6 mo.)

:::
#20 of 25 Old 01-10-2006, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We are feeding our life to our children
It is this that is both the root of my joy and my anguish.

Thankfully, DD1 has continued to be night weaned. She night weaned back when I thought she was weaning all together, (at 18 months during my pregnancy with DD2) so when she started nursing again during the day, I just worked with her to continue sleeping through the night. Don't have any real suggestions except that back when I was pregnant I was able to tell DD1 that "su-su's" had gone "night-night" and offer water instead. She got bored of water by the third night and hasn't looked back. PTL. I have no idea how I'd cope if I was waking 5 X's a night to nurse DD1.

I will say that I've ammended some of my CLW beliefs. As much as I believe it would be ideal, I have to agree that nursing as well as weaning is a mutually involved process. I think at this point I'm at a "mutually-led" weaning stage. I don't really have any plans to cut out any nursing sessions, but I'm not above distraction or even flat out telling her it's not time for "su-su's." The last couple days have been much, much better. I just need to remember to offer to nurse her and then she does better if I need to ask her to wait.

I was reading somewhere that at this age (0-3 yrs) kids really don't have a clear grasp on the difference between want and need. It helps me to remember that DD1 isn't getting nuts just because she's demanding. She genuinely believes that life itself hinges on the gratification of her "su-su" wants.

All of that said, I do wish she'd sit with me and just sing songs or play happily. Rather then everytime I pick her up, assuming that it's time to nurse. Mothering is not just nursing. I get it. Why doesn't she?
#21 of 25 Old 01-11-2006, 12:07 AM

I have a ds (3 1/2) who loves to nurse, I got pregnant when he was two- he weaned almost. I had your feelings of not liking it. It felt some primal instict to drive him away from me, I couldn't stand the way it felt. Our baby was born and of course he wanted to nurse again. I thought the feelings would go away since I had milk again but they didn't. The thing that worked for us was me being honest with myself and him. I told him it is really hard to nurse two babies and he had to stop if I asked him to. Now our baby is 8 months and I still nurse my older one but more infrequently. I feel better about tandem nursing now then I did before. I think that the more angry and unresloved I felt about nursing my older one the more he wanted to nurse. I finally feel some resolve with the issue. Hang in there! My thoughts are with you all.

Me, my Husband and three little Boys! 7, 5 and 7 1/2 months! Life is good!
#22 of 25 Old 01-11-2006, 12:20 AM

just subbing to get a more realistic picture of what the coming months may bring.
#23 of 25 Old 01-11-2006, 03:02 AM

Hello! I just wanted to pop in and say I hear you!

I am nursing 20 month old DD (Alex) and 3 month old DD (Cori). I have no new advice, but I have to admit I say NO to Alex A LOT! I prefer to just get busy playing with blocks or stuffed animals or something and ask her to help me instead of nursing, but sometimes I just have to say "No, mommy needs to ___ right now. We can nurse later." She nurses MUCH less now than when the baby was born. That has helped a great deal. I often nurse Cori in a different room or in the sling as to avoid Alex when I need to. I can also nurse the baby while Alex is eating in her booster seat. This doesn't bother her at all (She likes to say "Cori nurse"). Sometimes when she asks to nurse, I say "mommy needs a hug" and I give her a huge hug and pick her up and start actively playing with her. This is often enough to distract her.

Also, the touched-out thing has seriously been a problem for me. If DH tries to touch me and I've nursed in the last 20-30 minutes, I cannot handle it. He has had to learn to warn me before putting his arms around me so I won't bite his head off.

Good luck! You are NOT alone!!
--LEE

P.S. I want one of those nursing-doula-housekeeper types!! I could use the help around here!!
#24 of 25 Old 01-11-2006, 02:13 PM

"We are milk Goddesses!We should have doula-like maidens attending us with food,drink,massage,music,laughter,and more!And someone else doing the housework.For a minimun of 3 months-honestly,at least a year! ....

We should not be suffering in the light of such beauty.We should be recognized,aknowledged,appreciated,and supported in person,in our homes."

Wow! What a great post!

I feel like a milk Goddess - where can I get the maidens? I really need at least one!
#25 of 25 Old 01-11-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindRedSpirit
We are not suffering from tandem nursing.We are suffering from lack of support in our communities!We are milk Goddesses!We should have doula-like maidens attending us with food,drink,massage,music,laughter,and more!And someone else doing the housework.For a minimun of 3 months-honestly,at least a year!
Thanks for posting this. I have responses to a few of you, and am also a virgin-poster, so pardon my mistakes.

1. The quote above. Thanks so much for saying this. My mother-in-law is an Asian mother of nine children. She told me, after my second child, that I should stop at 2 because, in this country, we simply do not have the support we need to raise more than that. She raised nine children with grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and maids around to help her. It truly was a group effort, and my husband had wonderful, bonded relationships with all these extended family helpers because of it. We absolutely should be attended to by supportive people. If we were, we might not mind tandem nursing. However, we aren't. That's just not the way it is in this country, generally speaking.

2. My feelings on CLW. I also, could have written BabyHopes post. DS 3 1/2 was down to nursing once every 3 days, even when my colostrum came in. I was so happy because CLW seemed to be working exactly as I had hoped. When DD came along, he wanted to nurse more than she did. He went back to asking for it 4 times during the night and constantly during the day. I, too have amended my feelings about CLW, as much as I hate to. If I had the whole village to help me raise my family, it might be different, but it's a matter of what I am capable of, and tandem nursing has turned me into someone I DO NOT LIKE. I don't like what it's done to my relationship with my DS because I feel like I'm constantly either saying no to him or resenting him. I love the idea of "mutually-led" weaning--Thanks for posting that.

3. What I've tried. At first, saying "no" all the time did increase his desire to nurse and a power struggle ensued. I started saying "yes" always and like others who have posted, I even offered. Once I felt he had come to grips with the idea of a baby sister (about 3 months) I started saying no occasionally, usually suggesting a special time later when we could nurse, just the two of us. Often, he'll forget about it and not even bring it up.

I do not tandem nurse except on rare occasions anymore. I nurse them separately because they're both happier that way. I wish we had the blissful experience I've read about, but ours was mostly kicking and shoving and whining about not enough room.

At night, he comes into our bed as asks for "me-me" right away. Once when he did, I was nursing DD and asked him to wait and assured him I would turn right over to him. He was happy with that answer and fell asleep next to me. So, I've been using that strategy ever since. He comes into our bed, I turn to DD and either nurse or just face her, and then tell him it will be his turn just as soon as she is done, and he almost ALWAYS just falls asleep next to me.

We also do counting. DS often asks me to tell DD that she only has "20 minutes" left (he gets confused and thinks he's talking about seconds). I gladly do and he seems happy with the equitable treatment. He either gets bored waiting or doesn't bug me about it until she's done.

4. What I'm thinking about trying. DS is going to be four this March. We're thinking about "treating" him to a special big boy trip with DADA to visit grandma. Mom and baby sister will not come. They're going to go for at least four days and I'm hoping the time away will help him to get some distance from nursing (literally!). The only two nights he's ever spent away from me were the two I spent in the hospital to have DD. He did just fine and slept through both nights.

I hope this adds to the "idea" pot of things to try. I haven't posted much, but really appreciate the ideas I've gotten on this site. Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page