Advice Sought on CLW - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 01-25-2006, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our baby Girl has all of a sudden quit breast-feeding at aged 12 and a half months. She was down to two feeds a day 6am and one before bed.

She taps on my wifes breast wanting a feed but gets upset when my wife
gives her the opportunity to feed. We've introduced a morning and evening yoghurt, which she happily eats, but the problem is she is really upset about
not having breast milk even though she is the one that doesn't want it.

It's been over a week and she is really grumpy when ever she is around her mum. Mornings use to be a delight, she'd wake up - we'd bring her into bed, feed her and she'd be happy and playful. Now when she wakes up and we bring her in she is incredibly grumpy, like it's reminding her of the good old days. She flat out refuses normal milk and formula and pretty much has done from day one. She drinks plenty of water (from a cup), has cheese snacks, and eats really well. We've tried goats milk, soy milk and rice milk, again with no success.

The issue isn't her protein and calcium supply because we're making sure she gets it from everywhere. It's the grumpyness at something her body has decided is the right thing for her. Any tips on helping us with this. One idea I've had is we have to change from the old routines of getting her from her cot and bringing her in with us of a morning.

She is really teary and miserable all day and wants "mama" to pick her up all the time.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-25-2006, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
This sounds like a nursing strike, not child-led-weaning. Check out this link for more info on nursing strikes and tips for getting baby back to the breast:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#3 of 4 Old 01-25-2006, 11:06 PM

It does sound like a nursing strike. A nursing strike means that for some reason, your daughter is reluctant to nurse, and it might not be her own desire to wean. Perhaps initiating nursing while your daughter is sleeping can be a way to get her back to nursing, as she is less likely to be thinking of what ever might have made her think she shouldn't nurse. Is it possible for her to stay in bed with mom for a few nights, so she can access the breast in her sleep?

Here is a link to an FAQ from La Leche League International that might also be helpful.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/strike.html

All the best to you and your family!

#4 of 4 Old 01-26-2006, 11:22 AM

I agree with the above. Just hang in there and check out those websites the two ladies offered you. I'm sure you'll make it through this.

Ahhh... the things we go through out of love.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page