afraid my almost 15 month old is weaning - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 01-31-2006, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I am scared to death my almost 15month dd is weaning. She is seeming less interested in nursing during the day even before naps. Last noc she went from 11pm-6am and didn't once wake to nurse-I couldn't believe it becasue even with her lack of day nursing I could still count on her to nurse 2-3 times during the noc-she is content and thriving and I don't want to "force' her to nurse, but I am not ready for her to wean-has anyone else had this experience? was it just a phase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-31-2006, 01:45 PM

My dd went through a similar phase at about 15 mths. She had a few weeks where things lagged a bit & then picked right back up. I think it was mostly teething related. She just weaned recently (@ almost 22 mths) I am 5 1/2 mths pregnant & she was down to only a once and awhile nursing during the night...I slept in the other room for a few nights & she didn't wake up to nurse. I'm a little sad about that time being over - but I know that we had agood nursing relationship & she will hopefully remember it I am guessing that your dc is just having a bit of a break but will pick back up.

eta - also, I remember some times when my dd was learning new skills, etc. that daytime nursing faded for aabout a week & then picked back up. Sometime toddlers just get busy w/ other stuff!
#3 of 7 Old 01-31-2006, 02:55 PM

Keep nursing! Keep offering. Take baths together. Offer often (naps, and at night often work well)

Give no other sucking (pacifiers, bottles, sippy cups) And give no other milk.

15 mo is too young to wean, treat it as a nursing strike.

-Angela

#4 of 7 Old 02-01-2006, 01:51 PM

My first child weaned at 15 months in a way similar to what you've described (of course, at the time I was pregnant and had no milk left, which is different from your experience).

With my subsequent children, I've noticed that frequency of nursing waxes and wanes throughout the toddler/preschool period. 15 month olds are often so busy exploring the world, and mom isn't as important. My kids would ease off on nursing for a while, and then suddenly start nursing 10 times a day a few months later. I'd just encourage you to keep offering, and I'll bet that nursing frequency will pick up again later on.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#5 of 7 Old 02-02-2006, 03:38 AM

kellymom has a great site with info about causes for premature weaning.

all will be well.
#6 of 7 Old 02-02-2006, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
At 15 months, I'd consider it to be a "potential nursing strike" and not true child-led weaning. It's normal for interest in nursing to wax and wane, and most 15mos are busy exploring the world and don't have much time to snuggle and nurse. In a couple of months, when the world is less new and interesting, they realize that it's worth taking the time out for nursing.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#7 of 7 Old 02-04-2006, 02:13 PM

both of my kids lost interest in nursing when they were learning to walk. It's normal, and as long as you don't encourage weaning, as long as you continue to offer to nurse, the newness of her mobility will wear off and she will be nursing more again soon.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page