CLW and low supply - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 04-23-2006, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are there any other low supply moms out there practicing CLW? My dd is 19 m.o. and we nurse with a Lact-Aid to supplement my milk supply. We nurse without it for comfort nursing and with it for the supplement - mainly nap time, bed time, and during the night. Eventually (and I'm in no rush), I would like to wean off the LA but still do CLW. Is that possible? Has anyone dealt with this?

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-23-2006, 08:49 PM

I had low milk supply and used the Lact-aid to supplement my baby's feedings 12 to 16 oz a day, until about 9 or 10 months. After that, the breast was bare and any shortfalls I had in supply was made up with cups and solids. He nursed to 51 1/2 months. He nursed through my pregnancy, during which I completely dried up. He was about 22 mos old when I dried up and he just kept sucking, dry. I got colostrum back when he was about 27 mos, I was about 33 weeks, and he was thrilled LOL....

His sister also used the Lact-aid to supplement 12-16 oz a day, while we tandem nursed. He never used the LA anymore though. She used the LA to supplement until about 9 or 10 mos, after which she nursed and fulfilled nutritive requirements by cups and solids. She actually weaned about a month after he did, at 24 months, I'd dried up from my current pregnancy and she wasn't quite as pleased by my being both dry and wincing from pain. Plus, she missed having her brother on the other boob I think.
#3 of 6 Old 04-24-2006, 12:36 AM

Another low supply mama here too. I wasn't successful BF my first two long term; but my youngest is 32mo and still an avid BF'er! We are practicing CLW; I don't think he'd allow anything else

We used a SNS for a few months and then switched to a breast/bottle combo. I know I make more milk with him than I did with my first two; but I really think it's more his personality/desire that lead to us BF for this long. While I still produce a decent amount of milk, he mainly BF for closeness/comfort. I was ill awhile back and was dehydrated and not producing much milk at all. He would BF, complain that "milkers are empty" and then continue to BF. He was WAY happy when my supply went back to what he was accustomed to, but he didn't BF any less when he was complaining.

I would think at 19mos your dd is loving BF and the chances of her continuing without the Lact-aid is really high! Maybe you could try using is less frequently, and slowly eliminating it to see if her BF changes at all.

Good Luck!

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing

#4 of 6 Old 04-24-2006, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Dd had her own problems in addition to my low supply which took me almost 6 months to get her completely on the breast and off of finger feeding. She is also a very strong-willed child, so I have been afraid of ruining a bf relationship I worked so hard to establish. However, I think you are so right that at this age she is a firmly established comfort nurser.

Dd signs "nurse pouch" or "nurse mommy" when we nurse. Last night, every time I suggested she nurse mommy, I met with adament resistance. She also nursed every hour last night and has been taking more supplement the past few days. I think she is teething, so I will wait and try again when she doesn't have that going on.

And thank you so much for sharing about your tandem nursing. This is something I have wondered about for when we have our next child. How will it work tandem nursing with a low supply?

Thank you ladies!

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#5 of 6 Old 04-29-2006, 04:38 PM

I have extremely low supply and am doing CLW.

I used domperidone for almost 2 full years, which only got me up to around 8 ounces per day. I didn't really use a lactaid, I would nurse him first and then give him a bottle. After he was a few months old, he would either want to specifically nurse or specifically have a bottle.

I took my last domperidone (had cut down slowly) in December, so my supply is most likely next to nothing (or possibly really nothing).

DS has always nursed mainly for comfort and continues to happily nurse pretty often - not like a newborn or anything, but at least a few times a day. It doesn't seem to bother him at all that I have no milk, thank goodness.

I think it would be harder for him to deal with if I USED to have an abundant supply and it dried up. He's used to me not having too much and it's never been a primary food source for him (unfortunately).

My DS is 2.5 years old btw.

I hope your experience is as happy and successful as mine is so far!
#6 of 6 Old 04-29-2006, 05:18 PM

I also used domperidone for my low supply. I've used it for over a year now, and have slowly cut down. I know my supply is pretty low, but ds is still happily nursing away at 19 mos.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page