for all the mamas of 2-3 year olds who nurse ALL THE TIME. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 09-16-2006, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i know it seems impossible, but apparently, it seems, and this could all change in a flash, -but- someday your nursling won't ask to nurse every 20 minutes and won't dive immediately into your shirt when you've been away and return. I still nurse on demand but literally, weeks ago, the demand was constant, and now, suddenly, the requests are down to 3 or 4 times a day, and yesterday she nursed in the morning and -GET THIS!- when she fell asleep. dd still night nurses, and that's still every two hours or so, but i was really starting to wonder if this shift would ever happen for us. she just started preschool and i've been able to be spending more time in the studio since dh is finished school, so i know there will be more quiet days ahead, when it's just the two of us and she'll nurse all the winter's day away, but i feel like it will be sweeter, now that i've seen her easing up - just a little. i was starting to doubt my ability to nurse til 5 or 6 or 7 if the tempo kept up and seeing it slow, even just a little has inspired me with so much more confidence that this is the right decision for us as a nursing pair.
although, i must admit, i'm feeling a little like calling it preschool-led-weaning. the shift "seems" to be tied to her love of her new environment, but even so - she doesn't ask to nurse right when i pick her up. or maybe it was timing. at just three she would nurse immediately after an hour long music class, like it had been killing her to wait. now at three and a half it's not, sniff, her be all and end all. every three hours (almost) for three and a half years, and then suddendly, five hours, ten hours, long stretches, snuggles that don't include nursing....giant squeezy hugs that don't turn sideways...
i'm just in shock. and i'm so hoping somemama with a uber-nursaholic 2.5 year old finds this post.
i'm so glad we did it this way.
so glad.

this forum has been so important in keeping me grounded and focused, thank you mamas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-17-2006, 09:28 PM

Thank you! I needed to read that. I have a 2.5 year old...and sometimes I get so tired of her asking and asking. It's good to have that reminder that someday I will wish she was doing that. It truly is a wonderful time.

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#3 of 3 Old 09-17-2006, 10:56 PM

I am the mom your message was meant for! My son is a true nurseaholic- he would nurse all day if I let him, just staring off into space and sucking occasionally. I was just wondering today if he will be the same at 5! I really want to CLW but I need lots of stories like your to keep me going.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page