NIP sometimes I just forget! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 12-09-2006, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we spend so much time just around the house nursing like maniacs (many days not nursing much, when I really think about it, but, when we nurse, it's very free and open) that sometimes I forget Maya is about three and a half. We were in the library the other day and she bonked heads with a friend, really hard. I automatically picked her up and she was screaming NAH NAH so I started nursing her. The librarian came over to see how she was and I just completely don't even think about the fact that some people might be weirded out by a nursing... toddler? preschooler???

The librarian, I must say, seemed completely unphased. But, I still was reminded (since she probably saw a TEENY bit of my breast flesh) that it could be weird for some people to see such a "big girl" nursing.

Why why why why why can't I stay in my ignorance is bliss place? It's so much more lovely there.

--Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-10-2006, 12:38 AM

I hear ya!
DS is only 2.5 and needs to NIP all the time. But he's a big guy and a verbal guy and so he often gets mistaken for a 3 or 4 year old. So when we NIP I feel a good hard stare every now and again.
sigh
What's funny is that when I try to delay it -- like honey let's wait and nurse in the car or at home, hey now says in a very LOUD voice ...

"Hey, I NEED to NURSE on your BOOBIE please mama!" as if I didn't understand the first round of quiet pleas for nahnahs.

There's no getting around that.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#3 of 12 Old 12-10-2006, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I feel for you. Just consider it that if more people do it, the more norm it will be. I get comments at just 12.5 months because my son is a big boy. My mom used to be totally put off by the thought of it (and she was pretty pro-bf) but now she is gung ho... although asks question's that humor me (so...... when do they self wean? Like- how many years?)

Eternal Companion to DH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, DS 11/05
, DD 12/07
, DS 07/10
and one on the way: June 2015!

#4 of 12 Old 12-10-2006, 10:09 PM

Yeah, I have to admitt that although I see ABSOULUTLY nothing wrong with nursing one that long, I've never seen it or dun it!! LOL
It would def. weird me out in that kind of way, not in a bad way, jsut a different way, KWIM?
I get that too, especially from my mom. She is a pro-bf mom but she thinks you should wean at 1. I try to tell her of the nutriation thats in it after 1 but she swears she's never read/heard that before. I have explained to her that I will be nursing til two if dd will. I wouldn't mind to go over that but I doubt I will have ANY encouragement from ANYONE here not even dh and I don't really think dd will last that long. I think it's great that so many of you have the support and babies that will, and that you are willing to do it!! WTG for all of you!!
#5 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 12:28 AM

What's funny is that when I try to delay it -- like honey let's wait and nurse in the car or at home, hey now says in a very LOUD voice ...

"Hey, I NEED to NURSE on your BOOBIE please mama!" as if I didn't understand the first round of quiet pleas for nahnahs.

Thanks for the great laugh. This is another example of why I plan, and hope dd does to, to nurse until she is talking.

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#6 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 12:54 AM

Well, good for your for still NIPing your dd! I must admit that I haven't nursed my older son in a very public setting in a year or more. Well, unless you count on planes!

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#7 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 02:32 AM
myk

i just don't worry about what other people think. at most, the librarian here sometimes asks me if i want privacy, and i say "nope! we're fine thanks!" and then we carry on. i figure the more we NIP the more normal it becomes, right?

January 2011
#8 of 12 Old 12-12-2006, 09:29 PM

My dd just turned 3 and I think about this sometimes but I think a lot of people still think that I'm just cuddling her and trying to cover her eyes so she can sleep. The thing I'm nervous about is tandem nursing in public... I don't see how there would be a good way to look like i"m doing anythign other than nursing two... hmmm...

My dd is also very vocal and adamant about when she wants to nurse...
#9 of 12 Old 12-13-2006, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If nobody said anything, I think you live in a great area. At the very least, that librarian has a clue.

I found that I did better when I learned to relax and not worry about what anyone else might think. Never had a stranger be crass enough to say anything negative. Did get some nice comments over the years too.

I think we need to be careful to not project negatives onto others when they haven't done anything to deserve that. Being alert doesn't require being tense or thinking that every time we NIP an "older" nursling that we're going to get flack.

Remember that we only hear about the gross rudeness of people in the news, not the daily thousands of positive interactions for nursing moms or the daily millions of NIPs in which absolutely nothing happens except for a child being fed and comforted.

"What will you do once you know?"
#10 of 12 Old 12-13-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiri View Post
I found that I did better when I learned to relax and not worry about what anyone else might think. Never had a stranger be crass enough to say anything negative. Did get some nice comments over the years too.
I agree with this, but as someone who HAS had a negative comment made to me- in church no less, at 9 months and the lady was very attacking... not any support from my pastor either...- I know that it can be hard to relax sometimes, especially if dc is being especially diligent in pulling up my shirt or whatever.
#11 of 12 Old 12-13-2006, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I didn't say it was easy Muppet.

I've had comments made, just not by strangers or not to my face. Family members however, had no problem saying things. I could handle that nonsense though. With DD, it was easier because they knew I wasn't going to be swayed, as I hadn't been when letting DS decided for himself.

"What will you do once you know?"
#12 of 12 Old 12-13-2006, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiri View Post

I didn't say it was easy Muppet.

I've had comments made, just not by strangers or not to my face. Family members however, had no problem saying things. I could handle that nonsense though. With DD, it was easier because they knew I wasn't going to be swayed, as I hadn't been when letting DS decided for himself.
Sorry, didn't mean for my post to come off snarky I too have more trouble from relatives than from strangers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page