Poll for tandem nursers - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Postpartum return of periods, milk during following pregnancy:
PP menses before 3 months, lost milk during next pregnancy. 3 5.08%
PP menses before 3 months, kept milk during next pregnancy. 1 1.69%
PP menses between 3-6 mo, lost milk during next pregnancy 7 11.86%
PP menses between 3-6 mo, kept milk during next pregnancy 5 8.47%
PP menses 6-12 mo, lost milk during next pregnancy 10 16.95%
PP menses 6-12 mo, kept milk during next pregnancy 11 18.64%
PP menses after 12 mo, lost milk during next pregnancy 10 16.95%
PP menses after 12 mo, kept milk during next pregnancy 8 13.56%
other, please explain 4 6.78%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 20 Old 12-12-2006, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious about something. AF just showed up today, way earlier than I was expecting her as my baby still nurses every two hours or less, including at night. Since I did everything as naturally as possible, no solids, no supplements, no pacifiers, and it still came back so soon, I started wondering why my body would become fertile while I still was nursing an infant. So I was wondering if there is a correlation between early return of menses and keeping your milk through a subsequent pregnancy.

I'm not planning on getting pregnant any time soon, but losing my milk is one of my big fears so I am curious what others have experienced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 12-12-2006, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
With my first my period returned at 14 months. I continued to nurse but with slight dips in supply every month right before my cycle. When he was 2.5 I became pregnant. He continued nursing through pregnancy, supply dropped dramatically - I think to nothing but can't be absolutely positive. He didn't really give straight answers. Once he said it tasted like old juice, lol. He continued to nurse after baby was born until she was about 1yr old. My period returned when she was about 16mo.
#3 of 20 Old 12-13-2006, 01:18 AM

after baby #1, I very slowly started introducing other foods around 6mths... I started ovulating and "caught that first egg" at 9mths PP... so #2 was concieved (no real nipple tenderness perhaps a slight drop in milk...)
I continued to nurse throughout the pregnancy and then was tandem nursing...I got PP AF at 9mths (while nursing 2 ....) I had started #2 on a small amount of solids at 6mths.... I concieved #3 about 12mths after #2 was born...

Every mom is different.... but from talking with lots of other moms... milk is often greatly reduced during pregnancy, espeically if the nursling is on the older side.

I highly recommend the book Adventures in Tandem nursing... it's a great reference and isn't solely for those planning on nursing 2 children ... there lots of great info about pregnancy and nursing... and weaning too!

#4 of 20 Old 12-13-2006, 03:11 AM

can't vote more than once on your poll.

AF came back after 1st baby at 5 mos (exclusively bf), pregnant at 7 mos, nursed through with an abundant supply.

after 2nd baby AF came back after 16 mos, pregnant with #3 when #2 was almost 20 mos. nursed 2 thru pregnancy even through milk loss. colustrum came in at end of 2nd tri.

after 3rd baby AF came back about 12 mos (triandem nursing ), pregnant with #4 when #3 was 19mos and #3 still wasn't into eating solids very much. nursed through preg even through low milk supply. colustrum came in beginning of 3rd tri.

#4 is almost 5 mos. no AF yet. nursing 4, the youngest exclusive

i was like you when all my AF came back....exclusive feeding every few hours, nursing during the night, etc. only thing that could have effected AF return is that once a month i do an upgrade at work and need to be away from all nurslings at least 4 hour. pump before work, but not during.

for me my supply during pregnancy depended on age of the youngest nursling. the younger they were the better my supply. i think it's psychological as they all had access during my pregnancy's, but the older the nurslings were a little bit harder to nurse (nipple sensitivity).
#5 of 20 Old 12-13-2006, 03:41 AM

Poll needs to be able to allow people to put multiple answers, so that those who have had more than one pregnancy and tandem nursing relationship can answer correctly...

For me:
DS1 - first AF at 9 1/2 months, nursed through entire pregnancy second, and third,then to the end of second tri-mester in fourth pregnancy.

Second pregnancy - MC at 9 1/2 weeks

Third pregnancy- DS2, milk came in 36 hours after giving birth

DS2 - first AF 5 1/2 months (was also nursing DS1), nursed through entire fourth pregnancy and still does nurse.

Fourth pregnancy - Full Term stillbirth - both boys nursed during, DS2 during whole pregnancy. Heavily Medical birth - milk came in about 4 days later, supply was fine.
#6 of 20 Old 12-13-2006, 04:48 AM

i got pregnant the second time without ever getting ppaf back...
i kept my milk

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#7 of 20 Old 12-13-2006, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmm2112 View Post
I highly recommend the book Adventures in Tandem nursing... it's a great reference and isn't solely for those planning on nursing 2 children ... there lots of great info about pregnancy and nursing... and weaning too!
Just got it at the library today, it looks really interesting!
#8 of 20 Old 12-13-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxybat View Post
i got pregnant the second time without ever getting ppaf back...
i kept my milk
Same here - my "baby" was 16-months-old when I conceived, and had not had a ppAF. I just started feeling really tired and had some nausea, so I did a HPT. I nursed throughout the pregnancy and my older baby weaned about 3 months after I delivered, when he was 28 months old. But he cut waaaay back on nursing during my pregnancy, especially the last 15 weeks or so, I think because of the decrease in supply.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#9 of 20 Old 12-13-2006, 12:56 PM

I voted PPAF 6-12 months (11.5 months to be exact ) and "kept milk" BUT I think "kept milk" does not really describe the situation well. I still had milk, but before pg DD was getting at least 75% of calories from bmilk and nursing around the clock, at the end of pg she was down to 5- times daily and very reliant on other food (plus she gained very little weight in those 9 months).

#10 of 20 Old 12-14-2006, 01:28 AM

no longer tandeming but did for 8 mos...
with ds1 first pp AF showed between 20-22 months...didn't get pg until he was 35 months old...I didn't lose my milk during pg but it definately dipped drastically around 5 months or so and then turned to colostrum...milk came back within 24 hours after birth, full force...now nursing ds2 who is 14 1/2 months...no sign of AF yet
#11 of 20 Old 12-14-2006, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I voted wrong. Oops. I voted based on nursing just dd, af came back between six and seven months pp and I lost my milk during the next pg.

For tandem nursing, I should have voted for when I was nursing dd AND ds2... in which case first pp af wasnt until 18 mos pp and I did lose my milk again during this pregnancy.

~Me, mama to  hollering boy (1991), photo girl (1997), Fan boy (2003), jungle boy (2005), gamer boy (2007) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty five years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness!
#12 of 20 Old 12-14-2006, 03:27 AM

After DS1, ppaf started around 6 months. I conceived when he was 10 months old, and he nursed throughout pregnancy -- although there was a slightly decreased supply towards the end. After DS2, I got ppaf at....drum roll...3 months!!! I was shocked (not to mention annoyed). Both kiddos were, and still are, nursing around the clock, and DS1 (23 months) is nursing probably about double the volume as DS2 (now 4 months). So I'm nursing A LOT. Did I mention around the clock?!

In the last month I've often wondered something similar, like why in nature would someone with TWO little nursing babies already have her fertility return. Getting pregnant now would not seem healthy for me, although it does seem that I would at least keep my milk supply more or less. Hmmm, maybe you're on to something....

Suzanne
#13 of 20 Old 12-14-2006, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I voted "lost the milk" but I honestly don't really know. I had an easy time of nursing through pregnancy, but didn't know or care whether there was much milk, since DS didn't seem to care.

PPAF at 7 months, pregnant at 10 months.
#14 of 20 Old 12-15-2006, 01:24 PM

My feeling is that is is very hard to increase milk supply during pregnancy for almost everyone. But if you can keep some milk or not depends on the woman.

So if you get pregnant when your child is less then 6 or 3 months, you are going to have a hard time having enough milk because their appitites are increasing. And many women who do get pregnant this early do supplement.

But if you don't get pregnant until they are closer to a year and they keep nursing everyday you might keep a similar amount of milk, but it will be okay because they will fill up with solids.

On the other hand if you wait until they are 3 or 4 years old I think that it is harder to nurse the whole pregnancy with out some limits and a greater chance of weaning (and less milk, sore nipples, thier understanding of you, ect).
#15 of 20 Old 12-15-2006, 02:20 PM

Got first PPAF when DS was 15.5 months, got pg when he just turned 2. Milk supply went way down towards the end of the first trimester, then came back as colostrum right at the beginning of the third trimester. Both kids are still nursing and he is 4 today, and she is 15.5 months. Still no AF since her birth (it can stay away as long as it wants! ).-

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#16 of 20 Old 12-15-2006, 02:40 PM

PP menses at 18 months, lost milk around 5 months into the next pregnancy.

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#17 of 20 Old 12-15-2006, 10:36 PM

I got my period back at almost 20 months pp with my ds. I think I had 2 full cycles and then got pregnant on the third. I got pregnant a week before his third birthday, but he was still getting probably 90-95% of his calories from bm at that point. He was very slow to start solids. I'm pretty sure my milk decreased to almost nothing while I was pg but still not sure as he kept nursing through the whole pregnancy. He was completely non-verbal until 3 1/2 so he couldn't even tell me. He did increase his solids but was still nursing a lot when dd was born. I tandem nursed for 18 months, when he self-weaned at over 4 years. I got my first pp period with my dd at almost 17months. I'd love another baby but my body really really needs a break (I've been pg and/or nursing for over 6 years straight now) so hoping she weans herself in the next year so I can get pg again. She's only 2 1/2, though.
#18 of 20 Old 12-16-2006, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My menses returned at 10 months with my first ds and 9 months with my second. I was working full time with moth of them. I didn't lose my milk during my pregnancy but my supple did go down. I did stop pumping during my pregnancy and I had a couple of illnesses where I became dehydrated in my first trimester.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#19 of 20 Old 12-16-2006, 11:56 AM

My menses returned (lightly) when my twin boys were 15 months. I haven't had another pregnancy, so I can't answer that part.

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

#20 of 20 Old 12-17-2006, 01:05 AM

With my first ds I started getting af again at 4 months pp. It was very regular and I assumed I was ovulating again. When ds was 11 months old I temped my first cycle and found it was annovulatory, I was surprised and temped again the next cycle. About 5 days after I should have ovulated I finally did and that was when we conceived our dd (just days after ds's 1st bday). I nursed through the pg and while I would say my supply was affected I did not completely lose my milk. They are both still nursing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page