would you reveal your 4.5 year old is nursing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 37 Old 02-05-2007, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i originally posted this on lactivism forum. even though my post talks about a 4.5 year old nursling, the main point of it was discussing older nurslings in the context of educating other mothers about the benefits of breastfeeding.

i was particularly interested whether others thought that revealing you are a nursing mom to an older child affects how effectively one can promote breastfeeding to new mainstream mothers.

this is from 'about lactivism', on top of the mdc forum:

Quote:
Lactivism is breastfeeding activism. The main goal of Lactivism is creating change due to positive action. It can take many forms including working to help get laws enacted to support breastfeeding mothers and their children, educating mothers and mothers-to-be on the benefits of breastfeeding and the disadvantages of choosing formula and demonstrating against those who interfere with the nursing relationship between mother...
Quote:
The purpose of the Lactivism forum on MDC is to provide a place for Lactivists to work together in creating these changes through positive action. Lactivists can support one another by sharing opportunities for lactivism and brainstorming solutions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 37 Old 02-05-2007, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
you mamas are inspiring. i have NIPed my two up until about 2.5 or 3. weirdly enough i think i felt more comfortable nursing the older one in public longer, but i very rarely nurse my 3yr old in public anymore. i had one of those conversational opportunities recently, too, and just didn't say anything. two acquaintances were talking at dd2's dance class and one mom said something about nursing (can't remember if she had a babe or not) and the other said sorta almost confessionally that she was still nursing her 18mo old. i had the opportunity there to say "hey, i'm still nursing my 3 yr old and once in a while my almost 6 yr old!", but didn't quite step up to the plate on that one...

you go girls!

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to two girls, Feb 2001
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Nov 2003
. DH
, and one crazy
. Riding in our zero-emission Leaf
!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#33 of 37 Old 02-05-2007, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana View Post
i originally posted this on lactivism forum. even though my post talks about a 4.5 year old nursling, the main point of it was discussing older nurslings in the context of educating other mothers about the benefits of breastfeeding.

i was particularly interested whether others thought that revealing you are a nursing mom to an older child affects how effectively one can promote breastfeeding to new mainstream mothers.
Your OP didn't state that; it mainly seemed to be concerned with the question "would you have shared that your 4.5 year old was nursing in a similar situation?". If you would like to start a thread again in Lactivism, making your aims clear, feel free to do so. Please PM me if you have any further questions or concerns.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows--
: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the
for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#34 of 37 Old 02-05-2007, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yes, I regularly reveal that my 4 yr. old still nurses. Hopefully it will make someone think about nursing longer.
#35 of 37 Old 02-07-2007, 03:10 PM

My standard reply is : "Since 2004, both Health Canada and the World Health Organization have changed their recommendation about breastfeeding. They now advise mothers to breastfeed exclusively for the first 6 months and continue nursing up to two years and beyond."

I like to emphasize "and beyond" part.

I'm just following their recommendations you know, not being different. lol
#36 of 37 Old 02-10-2007, 05:58 PM

It really does not come up often.
Normally people wont ask if your 3+ year old child nurses still.
But, at a family party my brother said something about me nursing my 4.5 year old VERY loud and how does nursing an older child affect them phycologically.
I said "from what I have read there is nothing to prove anything wrong with nursing an older child, only wonderful things for mother and child."
No one said anything, most looked SHOCKED!

I am pretty much for the most part, if they ask I tell... if they dont ask or it does not come up I dont go around shouting it out! But, I am rather proud of what I do as a mother for my son.
#37 of 37 Old 02-10-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2snugbugs View Post
I will nip with her brother all the time, but will restrict her.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Yep. I nurse our 8 month old anywhere and there are some places I don't nurse my 3.5 year old. When I do I try to be as discrete as possible. Today at our oldest's basketball game wemoved from the front to the back row to nurse.

My biggest concern is some 'concerned citizen' will call CPS.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page