32 month old nursling---starting to nurse like a newborn again?? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 02-23-2007, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I hope someone can help this tired mama! I like the idea of clw, which is why I am still nursing my dd. But (isn't there always a but ) lately she has been asking to nurse at night, and not just once which I can live with, but almost every hour. I am a PhD student, so she is in daycare three days a week, and I am willing to co-sleep half the night with her, but I am kind of done being exhausted because of her nursing requests. I do tell her no and she goes back to sleep, but I still wake up!

I also just suffered a miscarriage and I feel like I need to heal and be rested.

So...how many of you dealt with this increased nursing for a time? Does it slow back down? I really think I am going to gently encourage weaning when she hits three. I want to get pregnant again this fall and I am starting to crave having my own body back before another three plus years of nursing!

Thanks for all your great ideas.

Jacqueline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-26-2007, 10:32 PM

Noah has gone through periods like that before, usually related to stress in our lives (moving, etc), illness in him or a loss (m/c) in me (which stimulates fresh milk supply and he LOVES it). It always tapers back off.

I can't give you advice on what YOU should do, only comment that it has been very satisfying and fulfilling to nurse my son this long (4+ years now) and I can't imagine weaning him any time soon.
#3 of 3 Old 03-02-2007, 12:37 AM

When we are going through periods of increased nursing requests, I find it helps to limit the time of each nursing rather than refuse some requests. I do this a lot in the night. "It's sleeping time, let's nurse while I count to 10 and then snuggle and go back to sleep". I have been doing this for maybe a year (ds is 3 yrs 2 mos).

I just finished my PhD (with part-time daycare) and I sympathise with the exhaustion - I would have days where even though I had childcare I was too tired to think or write. Good luck! It can be done!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page