CLW and the "natural" age for weaning - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 03-20-2007, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I was talking to a friend the other day about breastfeeding. She doesn't have any kids yet, but she was asking me a lot of questions just out of genuine interest. She was asking if I had the same breastfeeding philosophy as a friend of ours, and I said that yes I do, and that we, like my friend's family, are practicing CLW.

Through this part of the conversation, I mentioned that the natural age for weaning is between 4 and 7. My friend asked me where that information came from, and I was suddenly stumped! Now, I know that it's correct information, and it was told to me by a LLL leader, but I realized that I don't actually know where it's documented, where the info came from, etc. I'm sure it's in The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, but I don't have a copy, so I dont' know. Can anyone point me to some resources, be it online or on paper?

BTW, I'm not to concerned about this for myself. I'm comfortable in my convictions about CLW, and I just know these things to be true, kwim? But, I want to be able to give my friend cold hard evidence, and not just my instincts.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-20-2007, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Rikki,

The evidence you are looking for is the work of Kathy Dettwyler, an antropologist and LLL Leader in Texas. Her work is outstanding. Here is the article of hers on the natural age of weaning.
http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

Also more articles of hers:
http://www.kathydettwyler.org/dettwyler.html#comments

Her book, Breastfeeding: Biocultural Perspectives, is an interesting read (in an academic way). Very perspective-changing stuff.

HTH,

Laurel

Mama to 3 big boys
#3 of 9 Old 03-20-2007, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ah, you beat me to it!

That book is very interesting, and if you're needing such, can be on the soporific side too. IOW, don't read it when you're tired, or you'll miss the information and have to read it again!

"What will you do once you know?"

#4 of 9 Old 03-20-2007, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurdsed View Post
Hi Rikki,

The evidence you are looking for is the work of Kathy Dettwyler, an antropologist and LLL Leader in Texas. Her work is outstanding. Here is the article of hers on the natural age of weaning.
http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

Also more articles of hers:
http://www.kathydettwyler.org/dettwyler.html#comments

Her book, Breastfeeding: Biocultural Perspectives, is an interesting read (in an academic way). Very perspective-changing stuff.

HTH,

Laurel
Thanks! I've only glanced at the first link so far, but I had to laugh at this:

Quote:
"This interest also stemmed from the realization that other animals have "natural" ages of weaning, around 8 weeks for dogs, 8-12 months for horses, etc. Presumably these animals don't have cultural beliefs about when it would be appropriate."
I think she has a very good point, but I can't help wondernig if she's being comical on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiri View Post
That book is very interesting, and if you're needing such, can be on the soporific side too. IOW, don't read it when you're tired, or you'll miss the information and have to read it again!
Thanks. I'm totally one for falling asleep reading books, so I'll remember that!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#5 of 9 Old 03-20-2007, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I took it with me when I was in the hospital to havew my gall bladder out. I had the book suport fotr pumping to not lose any supply, and a way to get to sleep--since I usually don't sleep well my first night anyplace. It was only one night, but still...

"What will you do once you know?"
#6 of 9 Old 03-20-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
Through this part of the conversation, I mentioned that the natural age for weaning is between 4 and 7.
Actually it is between 2 and 7 (well 2.5 and 7 if you want to be technical!). It's even in that first link that laurdsed posted.
#7 of 9 Old 03-20-2007, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to CLW

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#8 of 9 Old 03-20-2007, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
Actually it is between 2 and 7 (well 2.5 and 7 if you want to be technical!). It's even in that first link that laurdsed posted.
Now that I read the article, I know that. That actually makes more sense to me, since I know of plenty of CLW'd kids who weaned around 2 1/2 or 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Moving to CLW
Whoops, sorry, I forgot that there was a CLW forum.

#9 of 9 Old 03-23-2007, 11:39 PM

"Another important consideration for the older child is that they are able to maintain their emotional attachment to a person, rather than being forced to switch to an inanimate object such as a teddy bear or blanket. I think this sets the stage for a life of people-orientation, rather than materialism, and I think that is a good thing. " from here http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

I have always thought this without having ever read this. It's nice to see this confirmed by someone else.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page