Child spacing and CLW - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 04-26-2007, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When we were ttc for #2 it took about a year and a half to get pregnant with an early miscarriage thrown in as well. dd was still nursing the whole time and ended up weaning around 10 weeks at 31 months old (though there were a few more random nursing in there until about 3.5 but she had forgotten how to suck ).

Now I have an IUD in and my hope is that I would take off 4-6 months from nursing and being pregnant so that I could do some cleanse dieting.

Since we aren't going to ttc and don't foresee any other reasons ds might wean as early as dd I'm figuring that we are in it for at least 3-4 years. That means if I take my time off for the cleanse and hopefully some major health rejuvenation then my kids would be spaced pretty far apart.

We haven't yet decided if we do want a third child so this is all hypothetical.

I'm wanting to begin an open dialogue as to how CLW has affected your child spacing and pregnancy plans.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-26-2007, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CLW has affected our child spacing ideas as well. DS 2 was a surprise pregnancy, because DS 1 took almost 1 1/2 yrs & 4 rounds of Clomid to concieve. DS 2 was a blessing after only 3 pp cycles! We honestly didn't think we'd be able to concieve without help again.

Having nursed thru one pregnancy and then tandem nursing for 2 1/2 yrs, I wanted to wait til DS 2 was much older to think about ttc-ing a third. I wanted to make sure he had atleast 2 yrs of steady supply nursing before I factored in a pregnancy. Plus I wanted to give DS 1 enough time to wean on his own.

We are now about 5 wks pg and I am nursing both boys. Prior to getting pg, DS 1 has cut down considerably on nursing. I think he will wean during this pregnancy. Not sure about DS 2. I hope to make it to DS 2's third birthday in September. While I am prepared for him to not wean during the pregnancy, I am also content that he got to nurse for almost 3 years if he does wean.

I'm glad that tandem nursing has worked out for us, I wouldn't of intentionally ttc'd prior to the age of 1 or 2. I really think the second year of nursing is very vital to a child and I wouldn't want to jepordize that time.

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#3 of 4 Old 04-26-2007, 11:13 AM

age gap between #1 and #2, 16 mos. unplanned, great nursing preg, fantastic tandeming, i nursed them together all the time.

age gap between #2 and #3, 31 mos. planned, we wanted to wait until #2 was 2 in case any weaning occured. we jumped started by 2 mos since i knew alot of mama's IRL that had trouble conceiving when they planned. i got preg right away. nursed both during the entire preg even when nauseated and vomiting (water is hard for me to drink in the A.M. when preg, and that really effected supply). tandemed all 3. worked out pretty well.

age gap between #3 and #4, 19 mos. unplanned. #3 was nursing almost exclusively (not too interested in solids), and still nursing the first 2. i was a little worried because i wanted #3 to get all the benefits her brothers had/have. after 1st tri, it was bothersome to nurse the older ones, but not the youngest. all 3 nursed thru the entire preg. the age gap between youngest and oldest is 6 1/4 yrs, but all are still nursing today.

in my case, planned spacing or unplanned hasn't prematurely ended any of my children's nursing. in might have prolonged it, i don't know. for me, the younger the nursling the easier it was to nurse through a pregnancy. i did nightwean my first 2 during preg with #3, just before i found out about CLW on MDC. i hadn't factored in nightnursing when planning #3. i guess before i heard of CLW, i just figured my nurslings would nurse as long as they needed to without really thinking of how i encourage or discourage it, just following instincts. ironically #3 self nightweaned just before #4 was born. she was younger than her brothers when i started weaning them at night.

my favorite age gap is the 16 mos. i don't believe that's there really is an "ideal" spacing especially since every family has entirely different circumstances. i'm facing 40 this summer and will probably be nursing well into my late 40's if judging the last by the first. but, i do love tandeming and am so greatful it has worked out well for me. not sure if i'm a true CLW'r, but i've got happy, healthy, breastfeeding children

#4 of 4 Old 04-26-2007, 07:15 PM

kirstie I think you are going to be my inspiration. I also want 4 children (not sure if DH is on board with that yet, but...) and I plan to nurse all of them. I'm not really a true CLW'r either because I fully intend to night wean at some point and give cow's milk while DD is in daycare. I'm so impressed that you were able to keep bfeeding this whole time and are still bfing 4 children. Good for you! Bfing can be such hard work, especially in the beginning. I will keep you in mind when I'm trying to tandum 1, 2, 3, or 4 "babies."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page