PG with under 2 nursling and guilt - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 10-19-2007, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've finally made my way over here with these thoughts to share with hopefully like minded mamas. Looking at my sig you can see I'm pg with #3 and ds will be 2 in a month. This pg was a huge surprise and something we were actively trying to avoid. I am feeling huge amounts of guilt about getting pg while ds is so young still. I feel very strongly that children need mama milk until at least age 2, but mine is drying up rapidly at this point : My ds also has a number of allergies and just seems to have gotten all the yucky allergy and asthma genes from my side of the family. It has made both our diets restricted and I struggle at times to make sure he gets all the things he needs in his diet. It's not something I worried about or even thought much about when he was still nursing plenty. Most people would never guess it's something I worry about either based on his size. Both my kids are much larger then most of their peers. I don't want just a big kid though I want them to be healthy.

I've come to terms with and am starting to be happy about the pg. There is no way it could have happened without someone of some sort having something to do with it (insert your own spiritual beliefs there) I still worry about ds though and am terrified that he could end up weaning due to this pg.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-19-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
I've finally made my way over here with these thoughts to share with hopefully like minded mamas. Looking at my sig you can see I'm pg with #3 and ds will be 2 in a month. This pg was a huge surprise and something we were actively trying to avoid. I am feeling huge amounts of guilt about getting pg while ds is so young still. I feel very strongly that children need mama milk until at least age 2, but mine is drying up rapidly at this point : My ds also has a number of allergies and just seems to have gotten all the yucky allergy and asthma genes from my side of the family. It has made both our diets restricted and I struggle at times to make sure he gets all the things he needs in his diet. It's not something I worried about or even thought much about when he was still nursing plenty. Most people would never guess it's something I worry about either based on his size. Both my kids are much larger then most of their peers. I don't want just a big kid though I want them to be healthy.

I've come to terms with and am starting to be happy about the pg. There is no way it could have happened without someone of some sort having something to do with it (insert your own spiritual beliefs there) I still worry about ds though and am terrified that he could end up weaning due to this pg.
Oh honey! I am in the same boat. My daughter was only 10 months old when we got pregnant, and it was certainly a surprise pregnancy. We didn't want to have our kids so close in age.

Ack -- I will come back and write more, but now said daughter is melting down. I will say that it's been a hard transition, but we set limits and now she nurses at naptimes and just a few other times a day. She's not getting all the milk she needs from me, so we hav eto supplement, but she's doing wonderfully and seems in no mood to wean. Best of luck!
#3 of 3 Old 10-19-2007, 03:34 PM

Ok, I'm back. As I was saying, we weren't wanting to be pregnant either. Had to be some kind of divine intervention, because it really just shouldn't have been able to happen. And I felt SO much guilt about it, because she's so young.

But then I realized that things happen for a reason. Whatever the universe throws at us, we have to just make the best of it. So when my supply drastically dropped when she was about 12 months old, we started supplementing her diet with soy milk (she's allergic to cow's milk). She did ok with it, even seemed to like it. I had a lot of nipple pain and intense nursing aversions, so I had to set some pretty strict limits, and it was rough for a while -- I was SURE she was going to get too frustrated and wean, but I didn't see what else I could do. But things got better, and the pain lessened, and the aversion became manageable, and my colostrum came in, and she was able to nurse a little more. She still nurses for comfort sometimes, and every naptime. She is nightweaned, but that's more because I couldn't handle waking every two hours and still be healthy -- now she gets her soy milk from Daddy most nights, and it works. I don't think she'll wean, so when the baby comes we'll be happily tandeming.

Basically what I'm saying is, don't stress. If he weans, then it's ok, it's not your fault. If he doesn't wean, then great! You've nursed him for this long, and that's fantastic. Keep letting him comfort nurse when you can, and I wouldn't worry about the weaning. And a friend of mine pointed out to me that yes, it's difficult, but think how lucky your older nursling is to get TWO doses of colostrum. What a wonderful gift!

I wish you both the best of luck. Hang in there, mama -- everything will be just fine.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page