Not feeling ready - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 10-19-2007, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my son is 18 months old and we've always nursed frequently. All through the night as we sleep, when he's tired, sad, bored, etc. This last week, he has turned nursing down frequently. He says he wants to nurse and then we lay down and he doesn't want to. I honestly thought we'd be nursing longer than this.

I knew I would not be able emotionally to wean him and I wanted him to feel ready and wean when he's ready. I just didn't think it would be this week.

It feels like we are reinventing our relationship.

Of course, he has still been nursing strong during the wee hours of the morning still but the daytime sessions have been lessening (down to twice today).

Thanks for letting me share. I shed quite a few tears tonight, proud of how strong he is emotionally and physically and what an amazing connection we've had since birth but wow. This is still so hard.

Any words of wisdom or been there, done that thoughts?

Deirdre

Mama to an awesome jammin.gif 10 year old son and a sunshine-ycoolshine.gif5 year old son
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-20-2007, 12:47 AM

s to you first off.
Secondly this happens alot around this age (my son did it as well and is now 5 and still nursing), they will cut out sessions.. but.. most the time they end up going back to those sessions days or weeks down the road. I would keep offering as it would be wonderful for him to continue nursing.
#3 of 6 Old 10-20-2007, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. Did you need to pump to maintain your supply? I can feel my supply lowering during the day.

Thank you for your thoughtful response (and he woke up this morning and nursed quite a bit around breakfast time) :-)

Mama to an awesome jammin.gif 10 year old son and a sunshine-ycoolshine.gif5 year old son

#4 of 6 Old 10-20-2007, 10:51 AM

I would echo that slowing down doesn't necessarily mean weaning. By the time she was 3, my dd was nursing only a couple of times a day, but she didn't wean until 5-1/2!
#5 of 6 Old 10-22-2007, 06:04 AM

Totally agreeing with the PPs that slowing down is *not* weaning. They go through phases with what they like to play, what they like to eat, and how often they want to nurse. What they're doing this week might be very different from what they're doing next week.

#6 of 6 Old 10-22-2007, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Well, now that the weekend is over, I can say he's not weaning (as you all suggested). He has made up for lost nursings last week. Interesting! That's never happened before with him.

Thanks again for your ideas and thoughts.:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page