Best weaning celebration/remembering the breastfeeding years ideas? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 12-27-2007, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been breastfeeding one child or another for almost eight years. Now my youngest child, who is to be my last child, has started the weaning process. I'm very much aware that every feed might be the last. I'd like some way to mark this period of my life, some closure, for myself (dealing with the little one's closure separately). I don't want to have a party. I was thinking of getting a sterling silver breast engraved with the weaning dates of each of my three kids, or something like that, and maybe having a ritual. Those ideas just don't seem right, or maybe those are my feelings of sadness about bringing this period of my motherhood to an end. I guess I'm looking both for ideas and a little been there done that. Am I silly to feel like this is such a big deal? Last nursing session ever?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-28-2007, 02:55 AM

I totally don't think it is silly! I almost know I will have more and the thouht of him weaning makes me want to cry.

I think the braclet idea is great.

Hey I say have another DC... JUST KIDDING! Anyway, just make it special to you and then you will feel fulfilled.
#3 of 7 Old 12-28-2007, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Don't think I haven't thought about having another. I was so gung ho for adopting more, even up to ten kids or so, until between us we had four, and now . . . well, now, I feel like the baby care years were great, but I'm also ready to have more or my time managed by adult sensibilities. It turns out that eight years of babies was the right amount to feel fulfilled, if ykwim. I NEVER would have guessed that before I hit the right number though.

#4 of 7 Old 12-30-2007, 04:27 AM

Your post reminded me of something I haven't thought of in many years...I once read a really sweet article (probably in "Mothering" magazine ) written by a mom who found some of her stored-away breastmilk in the freezer following weaning her last child and, feeling it wouldn't be right to throw it away, decided to use it to make a sourdough starter for making bread. Sourdough starter is a living culture, used to make bread rise, and each new batch of starter is made by "seeding" it with a small bit of a previous batch. By making sourdough starter using her milk and keeping the culture going and using it to make home-made bread for her family, this mom found a way to keep honoring her nursing years (and also nourish her family with bread containing the living "seed" of her milk) indefinitely. I know this idea might not appeal to everyone, but I thought it was really sweet.

Joanne
#5 of 7 Old 12-30-2007, 05:15 AM

P.S. I found a copy of the "Mommymilk" sourdough article online:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...84/ai_19656292

Joanne
#6 of 7 Old 12-30-2007, 06:00 AM

I think a bracelet with a charm with each child's weaning date could be very special - maybe taking the time to write a letter to all three of your children (group) as adults telling them of this journey and why you hope to support them in the same for their children - the you NOW talking to them, in this time when your memories are fresh, I'm sure you'll also talk to them in person then.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#7 of 7 Old 12-30-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootandflutter View Post
I have been breastfeeding one child or another for almost eight years. Now my youngest child, who is to be my last child, has started the weaning process.
in my opinion the weaning process starts from the day when the baby eats the first solids, the first non-breastmilk food or drink. the weaning period is much longer than the exclusive nursing period, so the weaning process is the longest and somehow normal part of the whole nursing relationship.

Quote:
I'm very much aware that every feed might be the last. I'd like some way to mark this period of my life, some closure, for myself (dealing with the little one's closure separately). I don't want to have a party. I was thinking of getting a sterling silver breast engraved with the weaning dates of each of my three kids,
to be honest, this sounds like a tombstone to me. i don't like the idea of having a bracelet with a "day of death".

the whole life is a very long chain of "last times". every time you do something is "the last time" you do it. you can never do exactly the same thing twice. life is changing.
do you know the quote "panta rhei" by heraclitus? all things flow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panta_r...things_flow.22

Quote:
or something like that, and maybe having a ritual. Those ideas just don't seem right, or maybe those are my feelings of sadness about bringing this period of my motherhood to an end. I guess I'm looking both for ideas and a little been there done that.
i like mamajojo's bread-idea. it shows that nothing is over and that your milk still exists and continues to live on. and it shows the process of development, like the development of the child.

i don't need such a ritual or symbol. i see my child every day, and without our nursing relationship, it would not be the same child. nursing is forever a part of her. so even if she one day decides not to nurse anymore she is still there, she exists, and the nursing and my milk continue to exist in a transformed way. there is no end in an absolute sense. so the child itself is the "symbol" of that part of motherhood. the past is contained in the present.

Quote:
Am I silly to feel like this is such a big deal? Last nursing session ever?
no.
i don't think it's silly. but i would not pay attention to this last day. you never know it before, it's a slow, gradual reduction. if i would focus on "is this the last time now?" at every nursing session i couldn't enjoy it anymore. one day it happens, the need is fulfilled, and you notice it afterwards.

it's like the day the child starts to walk. you can be sad and say "oh, i don't need to carry my baby anymore", or you can be proud and say "now my child can do it alone". it's a matter of perspective.

(sorry in advance for unfitting expressions, i'm no native speaker.)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page