I am not ready to wean yet... (question) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 01-02-2008, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I have a question. I have a two year old who sadly might be weaning soon. Not that I want him to but last night and today he didn't breastfeed for so long I was worried about my breasts.. they were rock hard and in pain by the end. I'm glad he finally nursed a few minutes ago.

Is it strange for me to go out and buy a pump when it's for my third child who is already two? I wouldn't have had a painful day if I had a pump and I don't know if this will happen again or not... What would you do? Does natural weaning require a pump? My first two didn't!

Has anyone had to buy a pump this late and after the last child? I feel pretty strange to go out and buy a pump. I feel like it's for newborns or something...

All comments would be appreciated. : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-02-2008, 08:15 PM

My 3 yaer old should come visit you... J/K.

We haven't weaned yet so i am not sure.
#3 of 13 Old 01-02-2008, 09:04 PM

Did you offer to nurse?

-Angela

#4 of 13 Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I had a pump from when DS was a baby and I WOH, so I didn't need to go out and buy one.

In your situation, I'd probably hand-express if I was getting really full and uncomfortable and the child didn't want to nurse. If you get into the habit of pumping when the child isn't nursing, you'll just keep on making more milk than the child needs. Pumping is appropriate during a nursing strike, or if you have to be separated from your child, or for the OCCASOINAL time your child doesn't want to nurse as often as usual, but in general, if the child is cutting back on nurisng it's better for your breasts to adjust to the amount he's drinking.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#5 of 13 Old 01-03-2008, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Did you offer to nurse?

-Angela

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention but I was begging him to nurse. And he would even act like he will and then put his lips around my nipples and stare at me... no tongue or anything. I think he thought he could trick me into thinking he is feeding when he is not... I was trying to get him to nurse so bad.

It hasn't happened again thankfully. He nursed like normal the rest of the day yesterday and last night. I'm feeling a little dumb for freaking out but it did hurt and I was really worried about my breasts. I just don't want it to happen again. If I had a pump I would have deffinitely used it and kept trying to get him to nurse.

: )
#6 of 13 Old 01-03-2008, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I had a pump from when DS was a baby and I WOH, so I didn't need to go out and buy one.

In your situation, I'd probably hand-express if I was getting really full and uncomfortable and the child didn't want to nurse. If you get into the habit of pumping when the child isn't nursing, you'll just keep on making more milk than the child needs. Pumping is appropriate during a nursing strike, or if you have to be separated from your child, or for the OCCASOINAL time your child doesn't want to nurse as often as usual, but in general, if the child is cutting back on nurisng it's better for your breasts to adjust to the amount he's drinking.
Thanks Ruth. I have never been able to hand express. I have tried in the past and after like 1/2 an hour I got about 1/4 of a cup and a painful wrist. lol Well it wasn't that bad but enough to make me not want to do it again. But since that was like 6 years ago or more then maybe I should give it another try. That's what I'll do next time it happens (hopefully it won't) and if it doesn't work then maybe I'll think about pumps again.

: )
#7 of 13 Old 01-03-2008, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson'sMommy View Post
My 3 yaer old should come visit you... J/K.

We haven't weaned yet so i am not sure.
You have no idea how much I dream of a nother hungry/thirsty kid/baby around when I have full breast issues or plugged ducts when my child is not as interested as I want him to be! LOL I usually wish for a very hungry newborn. : ) I know you meant it as a joke but if someone let me I'd actually take the offer!
#8 of 13 Old 01-03-2008, 10:29 PM

Here's a good link for hand expression - maybe it will help:

http://www.lactationinstitute.org/manualex.html

Hope you don't need it anymore!
#9 of 13 Old 01-04-2008, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! : )
#10 of 13 Old 01-06-2008, 01:13 AM
PJJ

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, buy a pump if you can not express and still want to CLW. ---IMO
#11 of 13 Old 01-08-2008, 08:28 PM

that doesn't mean he is weaning...my 18m/o sometimes goes up to 2 days without nursing...

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#12 of 13 Old 01-09-2008, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

OMG! How do your breasts handle that? How come mine get uncomfortable after 1/2 a day? Maybe he is still nursing too much. It hasn't happened again thankfully. : )
#13 of 13 Old 01-09-2008, 06:55 PM

Even if you are not ready to wean, perhaps your son is starting down that path. I think you should go with it and perhaps tomorrow he'll nurse much more than normal to make up for today or perhaps he'll start to nurse just a few minutes a day...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page