!st Dentist Appt and still nursing! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I took Ds to the dentist today for the 1st time. He's just about 2 1/2years old. Yes, I know, I should have taken him last year but he wasn't covered under our dental plan until this year (mistake on DH's part). Anyway, I nurse him every night to sleep and at least once during the night (often 2 times or 3 times) and first thing in the morning. He's a;ways been a very avid night nurser.

He had NO cavities and looked great! So once dentist declared him to have no cavities I then informed him I was still nursing DS at night. I'm not exactly in breastfeeding friendly area so there was the general shock at my admission. LOL Then the dentist got a little weird (of course) and said 'oh, I don't think you should still be doing that... you need to be careful' blah blah... And I said 'well I have seen a few studies that came out very recently that have found that breastmilk does not cause tooth decay seems it's true.' And he said that 'it doesn't cause tooth decay in and of itself but that breastmilk does leave the teeth more vulnerable to cavities' because of some effect it has on salvia (???). I said 'oh really? interesting I haven't come across that I'll have to look into it.' And he said sternly "just be careful" and I looked at him and smiled broadly and said ... "obviously, we doing just fine. You just said he has no cavities and looks great." Gave him another big smile and left. I'm sure all of the hygentist were gossiping after I left ... I could here some hushed tones as I walked out.

Anyway, proof that breastfeeding doesn't cause cavities! If it did DS would surely have them he nurses to sleep every night and often for naps too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 01-09-2008, 11:52 PM

I have a lot of moms that nurse their babies well past the toddler years. Some have gotten decay, some haven't. I just read an article in a dental journal that stated the decay pattern is different for breastfed babies. They tend to get decay on the outside surfaces of their top front teeth and no where else. THis is different for formula fed babies. The thinking is that if babies have a frenum (long attached piece of skin holding the lip to the upper jaw) that extends down in between the 2 front teeth, or close to it, they are more likely to get decay. These little pockets hold milk right up against these teeth. After I read this article I started looking at these kids and was suprized to see that so far it has been true for every breastfed kid that had decay.
#3 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Ahhh, that's interesting. I'll have to see if DS has that (probably not since he doesn't have any decay). So what was my dentist talking about re the salivia?

#4 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
They tend to get decay on the outside surfaces of their top front teeth and no where else. THis is different for formula fed babies. The thinking is that if babies have a frenum (long attached piece of skin holding the lip to the upper jaw) that extends down in between the 2 front teeth, or close to it, they are more likely to get decay. These little pockets hold milk right up against these teeth.
Thanks for that- it is true my DS does hold his top lip close- doesn't show his teeth when he smiles- so I will have to check this out tomorrow- he has cavities along the top two front teeth. Does this mean I should stop breastfeeding at night??
#5 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 04:54 AM

My kids have a genetic tooth decay issue, and I thought my 3rd child- Jensen 23mo was going to be spared. However I have found that her top 4 teeth are decaying and have some wearing-away that looks like the genetic disorder, however now I wonder if this is more of what is going on with her. Hmmmmmmm............

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 14, Jillianne 11, Jensen 9, Jacen 8 & my dog Kota 3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pagan,Reader,Homeschooler,Friend.
#6 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 06:53 AM

Fascinating...my dd has the big old frenum with a gap between her front teeth and had the decay right there on the front of her top teeth. Sure is true for us!
#7 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 10:05 AM

Very interesting - DS has the frenum you describe (at least compared to mine). He has quite a few issues but unfortunately on many of his top teeth. Worst affected are the 2 incisors (one has 3/4 decayed and chipped away) and one premolar. In fact, his two front top teeth are not too bad - some brown staining and minor indents which have not gotten worse in the last 18 months.
#8 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 09:58 PM

my bf toddler goes for her 2nd visit this month (last one was 6 mths ago) she has a cavity in a right top molar now. not looking forward to the breastfeeding talk.

Sharon wife to my hero James andĀ  momma to Kaitlyn 17, Tayler 15 and Anna 7.fur momma to KamiĀ  pit/boxer mix.

#9 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 10:27 PM

DD, 16months, already has decay on her top four teeth. She cut them when she was four months old. She also has the frenum you describe.

I feel so bad. I brush and even floss!! her teeth. Now the dentist has us using a small amount of topical flouride after she goes to sleep.
#10 of 19 Old 01-11-2008, 02:53 AM

We just had our three year old (actually all three of the kids) in for their check ups. NOTHING. NO CAVITIES! one small "sticky" spot, and the three year old nurses himself to sleep more nights than not.

Our dds has lectured me every visit since the youngest grew his teeth. Every time I just smile, and tell him that we keep an eye out for our children's teeth. Our almost 11 year old has had one cavity, the rest have nothing. My middle child, breast fed for 17 months, mostly at night as I worked all day. She has the most perfect teeth.
#11 of 19 Old 01-11-2008, 06:14 PM

Maya had the front teeth cavities, too. Thankfully, my dentist knows the research is mixed about it. Cautioned us to not let the milk pool and to (ha!) drink water *after* nursing (she was nursing back to sleep, so, the water drinking wasn't an option).

Honestly, I think he/they forgot about the nursing after that and I never brought it up again. It sounds terrible to some, I know, but, we decided that forcing her to stop nursing at night would be worse than dealing with cavities. Plus, my brother and I both had terrible cavities so hers might not be related to the nursing at all.

That said, I'm feeling happy now that we're not nursing at night just because I'll always wonder if it damaged her teeth. BUT, I am so very, very glad we have followed Maya's lead for nursing.

If the dentist/hygenist were to *ask* us, now, I'd definitely talk about how we nurse (even though she's 4.5). But, again, I just don't think they think to ask.

So great for you, original poster, to be so confident and clear! And, hooray for the no cavities!

--Heather
#12 of 19 Old 01-15-2008, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarngoddess View Post
My kids have a genetic tooth decay issue, and I thought my 3rd child- Jensen 23mo was going to be spared. However I have found that her top 4 teeth are decaying and have some wearing-away that looks like the genetic disorder, however now I wonder if this is more of what is going on with her. Hmmmmmmm............
Hi,
I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions. I noticed you said your kids had genetic tooth decay. Well my 3 daughters all have, from varying degrees, bad bad tooth decay. The older 2 have had much dental work. One even had "Rampant" tooth decay usually only found in severly malnourished children. Of course I always get the wean them talk from the dentist both girls where nursed 2 years. My kids are not malnourished my 19 mo old didn't even know what candy was until recently balh blah blah. Anyway sorry for the novel. What is this genetic tooth decay I actually asked the dentist if there could be a heredity issue since they have no other risk factors other than nursing(not that I consider nursing a risk factor). OH and my son has PERFECT teeth. Thanks - Emily

I should have introduced myself in the forum but I am considering CLW which is why I am lurking here.
#13 of 19 Old 01-15-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molarmama View Post
I have a lot of moms that nurse their babies well past the toddler years. Some have gotten decay, some haven't. I just read an article in a dental journal that stated the decay pattern is different for breastfed babies. They tend to get decay on the outside surfaces of their top front teeth and no where else. THis is different for formula fed babies. The thinking is that if babies have a frenum (long attached piece of skin holding the lip to the upper jaw) that extends down in between the 2 front teeth, or close to it, they are more likely to get decay. These little pockets hold milk right up against these teeth. After I read this article I started looking at these kids and was suprized to see that so far it has been true for every breastfed kid that had decay.
ds had that pattern of decay, but also his back two top molars. And they didnt just decay, they fell apart. He is getting dental work done on them right now and is only 27mths old. He has barely ever eaten solids, and i have always brushes his teeth twice a day since he got his first two teeth at 2.5mths old. His lower teeth were definatly protected by his tounge and havent got a single spot of decay. Hes never had juice or formula etc, just water and breastmilk. His teeth started degrading at 12mth old.

at the appt when ds was getting his molars fixed, there was a little boy younger than ds with the same problem, but he was formula fed, the dentist couldnt save his teeth like she could ds's and he had just had his 4 front ones pulled.

btw, my dentist is fabulous, and has never once told us to wean him or stop night nursing unlike the first terrible dentist we saw. In fact, shes never even asked if he nursed or was formula fed, we brought that up oourselves because we were discussing with her the damage the xrays showed and what the other dentist had told us caused it.
#14 of 19 Old 01-15-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryTheres View Post
Ahhh, that's interesting. I'll have to see if DS has that (probably not since he doesn't have any decay). So what was my dentist talking about re the salivia?
the only thing my dentist has said involving saliva is simple nature and sleeping with the mouth, at night time our saliva production lessens, so our teeth arn't as protected, which means if your child is one that has teeth prone to decay and doesnt fully swallow their last mouthful, night nursing can cause problems.
#15 of 19 Old 01-15-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakna4 View Post
Hi,
I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions. I noticed you said your kids had genetic tooth decay. Well my 3 daughters all have, from varying degrees, bad bad tooth decay. The older 2 have had much dental work. One even had "Rampant" tooth decay usually only found in severly malnourished children. Of course I always get the wean them talk from the dentist both girls where nursed 2 years. My kids are not malnourished my 19 mo old didn't even know what candy was until recently balh blah blah. Anyway sorry for the novel. What is this genetic tooth decay I actually asked the dentist if there could be a heredity issue since they have no other risk factors other than nursing(not that I consider nursing a risk factor). OH and my son has PERFECT teeth. Thanks - Emily

I should have introduced myself in the forum but I am considering CLW which is why I am lurking here.

My kids have genetic, My grandfather, mother, me, and so far 2 of 4 kids have a disorder where the teeth destroy themselves from the inside out. We were told we were lucky to have fingernails. We have calcified roots, and a problem with the denten and enamil where the teeth melt like butter and break and fall out like you can't imagine. My ped dentist said that she has never in her life ever seen this disorder this bad, and when she has seen it it was only one or two teeth, never the whole mouth and never multiple kids in a family. My teeth were so bad that at 18 we pulled them all and I now have full denture plates, and I've never been happier!

My reason for posting on this thread is my DD#3, Jensen has her 4 upper teeth that have some decay and one big cavity and a little wearing down on one tooth. I was so scared that this was the genetic disorder, but this thread has given me hope that maybe it's her Frenum thingy. She has a V-E-R-Y big one, compared to my other kids and other kids that I know.

Also, if you are thinking of CLW- GO FOR IT!!! Don't allow the possiblity of dental problems to diswade you to wean. Most kids don't have any problems. I hope that you do CLW, you won't regret it!

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 14, Jillianne 11, Jensen 9, Jacen 8 & my dog Kota 3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#16 of 19 Old 01-15-2008, 01:27 PM

DS1 who was breastfed for 9 months has the tooth decay just on the front of his 4 top teeth. He is almost 6 now and it hasn't gotten any worse than it was when he was 2. Hopefully they will be falling out soon and he will have a cute goofy grin.

DS2 doesn't have any decay so far but he is only 15 months.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#17 of 19 Old 01-15-2008, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarngoddess View Post
My kids have genetic, My grandfather, mother, me, and so far 2 of 4 kids have a disorder where the teeth destroy themselves from the inside out. We were told we were lucky to have fingernails. We have calcified roots, and a problem with the denten and enamil where the teeth melt like butter and break and fall out like you can't imagine. My ped dentist said that she has never in her life ever seen this disorder this bad, and when she has seen it it was only one or two teeth, never the whole mouth and never multiple kids in a family. My teeth were so bad that at 18 we pulled them all and I now have full denture plates, and I've never been happier!
Thanks for the info. So there are varying degrees of this? Is there a way to definitively diagnose or is it wait and see? My oldest dd is starting to get permanent teeth she is the one with rampant tooth decay. I am worried about her permanent teeth being totally destroyed.

Currently my baby has what is described in this thread but all she has is the four top and four bottom. So it is difficult to tell at this point if she will be like my older dd's or not but her four top are rotting and flaking/breaking off just like her sisters so I have little hope.

Oh and her dental issues will have no bearing on weaning. I just seem to get really tender and sore at around two years. Which led to weaning my other kids.
#18 of 19 Old 01-15-2008, 04:10 PM

My ds goes in early February for his first dental appointment, he just turned 3. His teeth look wonderful to me and I have been diligent about brushing, flossing since he first got teeth. Can anyone tell me how to spot decay on teeth? I have no idea what I am looking for so I might be missing it.

TIA
#19 of 19 Old 01-15-2008, 04:16 PM

[QUOTE=Anakna4;10288768]Thanks for the info. So there are varying degrees of this? Is there a way to definitively diagnose or is it wait and see? My oldest dd is starting to get permanent teeth she is the one with rampant tooth decay. I am worried about her permanent teeth being totally destroyed.

Currently my baby has what is described in this thread but all she has is the four top and four bottom. So it is difficult to tell at this point if she will be like my older dd's or not but her four top are rotting and flaking/breaking off just like her sisters so I have little hope. QUOTE]

If you oldest has this same thing then there is no "correcting" it, but it doesn't mean dentures right away either. My mom has this, and she still has her teeth. I don't know why, but she does. I had severe migraines from my teeth, all that poison in your head just isn't good for you. When I was a kid they restricted my diet (horrible to a kid!) and they had me doing a flouride tray 3X a day, and brushing and rinsing and ALL of it made me sick, literally. It also had no effect on my teeth. I CRAVE sugar, and I have recently discovered that there could be a link between my unreal sugar cravings and this disorder. I believe that it affects the soft tissue (gums and mouth) also. I was told also to NEVER get the dentures with the posts that go directly into your jaw bones, as the theory is that this disorder could travel to your jaw's and I could end up loosing my jaw's. Now, I don't know if that's true, but I don't want to be a human gunea pig.

The best thing I can tell you to do with your oldest DD is Xlyitoll. Find the Xylitoll tooth paste, gum, nasal rinse and follow the reccommended dose for that, and use it! Also, find a dentist that is a Pediatric Dentist, and ask her questions Does she like the dentist? Is she comfortable with this person, and if not find someone else. Seriously, you are going to spend a LOT of time in a dental chair, and you need someone that is great with kids, and isn't going to guilt you or you DD about her teeth. It's bad enough to have to live with these teeth, don't make things worse by adding guilt. Also, if things look hopeless, don't hesitate in getting her dentures. Assure her that she will find someone that will love her- even with plates! Also, Once I got my plates, I could finally eat a whole meal with out being in pain!

Please don't hesitate in PMing me, as I would be more than happy to help in any way that I can! Hang in there!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page