He says he'll wean when he's 4 but... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 03-05-2008, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He'll be 4 in 3 weeks and still asks to nurse (and usually does) 4 times a day!
I've had lots of problems w/ big nursing aversions w/ him since 9mth old ds was born. Now I do the sing ABCs thing so he knows when he has to pop off and he has a little control over that...which he wants.

Question is, do I encourage the weaning on his birthday- knowing full well he really doesn't want to wean on his birthday?

I've never had the experience of him popping off because he got interested in something else- well, maybe after 15 minutes of nursing. He's not a supoer active child so he's content to be in my lap nursing as long as I'll let him. There is truly no sign of weaning, so there must be a need, right?

Aspiring midwife-mama to 2 beautiful homebirthed boys ages 3 and 6...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-05-2008, 02:05 AM

Well, he'll still have weaned at age 4 if it's 1 day before his 5th birthday... My dd is almost 4 as well and I would like her to wean before age 5 personally! She's happy to nurse forever I think.

I don't think I'd push it on his birthday anyway though, it's such a busy day for them anyway IMO. Maybe after his birthday talk about it a little... "so, you're 4 now... you said you wanted to wean when you were 4, so... should we cuddle and read a book instead of nursing this time? what about next time?" etc.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#3 of 4 Old 03-05-2008, 02:12 AM

I have always felt that if you feel you have to question something, it must mean it needs more thought. So, I would wait a bit.

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy

#4 of 4 Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I think you should encourage him to wean on his birthday and really talk it up about how exciting it is going to be because he is weaning and turning four. If you are so tired of nursing that you can't do it for more than the time it takes to sing the ABC song then you really need to find a way to be done before you start to resent him. You might consider still letting him nurse but maybe just one or two times a day and then cutting back on those if he isn't able to stick with it though, but if you talk it up he may be really eager to actually wean and excited about weaning.

Also, keep him busy during the day by going off to do activities outside. It may be he doesn't get active because he doesn't have a chance to so try to find things to keep him active and do them with him. If he is nursing just out of boredom because you don't do other things together then find other things to do even if it is just playing clay, reading, talking, drawing, or taking a short walk.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page