Did your weaned or almost weaned child resume nursing after the birth of a sibling? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 03-06-2008, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The other thread got me wondering how common this might be. My 19 month old is not currently nursing, quit about a month ago. However as I mentioned before he sometimes "checks" to see if there is milk there. I really believe he is checking for milk because he will put his mouth on my nipple, then run to the kitchen and ask for something to drink. He still remembers that something used to come out of mama LOL! So, I keep letting him "check". Did you have a child who did this and resumed nursing once your milk returned? How old was the child? How long had they stopped nursing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 03-06-2008, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

My daughter weaned at 18months and after my son was born when she was almost 3 she asked to nurse and we let her a few times.

She's almost 5 now and i'm nursing my 21month old son and she will sometimes say that she needs a boobie lol when she sees me nursing but i just tell her no she can't have a boobie.

Kami~36
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DH~40,Alex~16,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ryker~13
Harlan~7

4/05,7/05,11/10
#3 of 10 Old 03-06-2008, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My then 29 month old only nursed every 2 or 3 weeks during pregnancy but started up again after the baby was born.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#4 of 10 Old 03-06-2008, 08:37 PM

My dd weaned sometime during pregnancy, maybe 16-18 months old? It was not a self-weaning since bf became very painful for me. She resumed after ds' birth, around 22 months old.
#5 of 10 Old 03-07-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythe View Post
My dd weaned sometime during pregnancy, maybe 16-18 months old? It was not a self-weaning since bf became very painful for me. She resumed after ds' birth, around 22 months old.
Now this is interesting because Henri was the same age your dd was when he weaned (however it was pretty much on his own accord, I literally tried to force him to nurse a few times and he wanted zip to do with it) How did it come about that your dd resumed nursing after being weaned for those months? Did you have to teach her how to latch again?
#6 of 10 Old 03-07-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Poot View Post
Now this is interesting because Henri was the same age your dd was when he weaned (however it was pretty much on his own accord, I literally tried to force him to nurse a few times and he wanted zip to do with it) How did it come about that your dd resumed nursing after being weaned for those months? Did you have to teach her how to latch again?
My son was born with a tongue tie and did not latch on at all until it was surgically repaired at 6 days old. I tried to pump, but I wasn't prepared and had a cheap pump that didn't work well, not to mention that colostrum is thick anyway. I was worried about drying up and that by the time his mouth was fixed I wouldn't be able to nurse him.

A wise friend suggested allowing dd to nurse to bring my milk in. It worked well. I was afraid she would bite, but that didn't happen. At first she just put her mouth on me and didn't suck. It didn't take long for her to remember what to do. It really helped reduce sibling rivalry too, since she didn't feel she was being "replaced". Of course, she didn't stop nursing when my milk came in. She kept on for a few more years. I hadn't anticipated tandem nursing, but it worked for us.
#7 of 10 Old 03-08-2008, 06:52 PM

I weaned my DD due to a painful breast infection I just couldn't beat almost exactly when she turned 2. I almost immediately got pregnant. By the time the babe was imminent, she had told me she would "share the milk" with the baby. When he actually came, she asked if my nipples were sore, which they had been with the thrush. When I said yes, she said she would wait until they weren't sore any more, and THEN start nursing again. (Sweet lass. ) She never did, though.
#8 of 10 Old 03-08-2008, 06:58 PM

My son weaned when he was 8 months old, during my early second trimester with my DD. After DD was born, I offered to nurse him and he did. I tandem nursed for a year.
#9 of 10 Old 03-09-2008, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I guess all I can do is keep offering. He still talks about it and every once and a while shows interest. We went to visit my grandma in the hospital today and Henri stuck his hand in my shirt and started saying "mama mama mama" He was nervous because there were two nurses in there and great-grandma looked funny with all those IV wires. I asked if he wanted to nurse and he promptly said "no" and got down from my lap. :
#10 of 10 Old 03-10-2008, 10:51 AM

my son nursed til i was 4 mo pregnant. he was 15 mo. now he is 19 mo old and has resumed suckling since my colostrum came in. the last few monthes he would just snuggle or pinch my nipple. i see him gladly tandem nursing after my milk comes in.

Lisa wife to Ronne and mom to 4 kids ,Thomas 4/92, Amanda 9/99, Christopher 8/06 & Nathaniel 5/08.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page