What would you do? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 03-06-2008, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3 1/2 year old went for 71 days without even asking to nurse. I was a little sad about it, but so proud that we had made it for so long.

He was sick recently and came over with his HUGE blue eyes and said, "I drinky your boobie milk, Mommy?".

Of course I let him and when he finished he said, "Now I a weaner and I don't drinky the boobie milk". And he didn't ask again for weeks.

Today he was sick again and started nuzzling into my shirt so I let him try again. Part of me doesn't mind (I am still nursing his one year old brother) but part of me is ready to be done.

Has this happened to anyone else nursing a big kid? Weeks or months going by without nursing and then the child asking again?

How did you handle it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-07-2008, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kids are so weird sometimes! My 2.5yo hasn't breastfed since he was 6 months old and every so often he'll pull on my shirt and say milky (however he has a 19 month old brother who he watched nurse all the time and is used to seeing mama topless) Just a few days ago his brother was acting like he wanted to nurse, so I offered, and the 2.5yo tried to nurse- then whined at me when I put my shirt back down!!! I haven't actually let him fully latch on because I know he would bite me, but I try not to make a big deal out of it and just let him explore if he wants to. In your case it sounds like your 3yo really gets benefit from nursing when he isn't feeling well, so I'd go ahead and let him.
#3 of 5 Old 03-07-2008, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd let him!

~Marie: Mom to DS(17), DS(16), DD(14), DD(10), DD(8) & someone new on the way.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 of 5 Old 03-10-2008, 11:54 PM

My dd #1 weaned for months and then asked to start again when she was about 3.5 - 4 yo. At the time I was nursing dd#2 (who was 6mos-1yo I can't remember exactly). Anyway, I let her (even though I was ready to be done too). She only nursed a few times after that. I think she just wanted to know if I would let her (jealous of her younger sister maybe?). Once she knew I would let her nurse, she lost interest in it. I don't know if that's what's going on with your little guy, but I thought I would let you know my experience. Good luck!
#5 of 5 Old 03-18-2008, 12:12 AM

I would absolutely let him! I think that's beautiful that he comes to you for comfort, and connects nursing with feeling good. He's still really young, too. It may not seem that way to you, but I blinked and all of a sudden my son is five! You can never get this time back, and it sounds like he's telling you what he needs...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page