Resuming nursing after weaning toddler - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 03-13-2008, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site. I have a 22 month old dd. From the moment she was born I placed her at the breast and she was right at home there ever since! We had a wonderful nursing relationship. After 15 mo, I grew tired of nursing and started weaning her and there was pressure from family to wean her. After she was totally weaned I realized what a mistake it was. She really loved it. Now we are into the toddler stages where she is getting molars, falling, getting furstrated and overstimulated. I wished we could still nurse as it makes "everything better". One day this week when she was completely overstimulated from a playdate and wouldn't calm down, I offered her the breast and she took it happily, stayed at the breast for 15 min and switched sides and fell asleep. It was so easy. I have been using the "secret weapon" now when she gets hurt, needs a nap, or a regroup. She is loving it and asks for it. I am afraid to tell DH for fear he wouldn't undrestand. Has anyone else been through this? Is this really weird for me to resume after weaning? I know I don't have any milk and it is only for comfort and it makes my life and my DD's life easier.

Sorry this is long winded.

I would appreciate any replies.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-14-2008, 12:21 AM

good for you for meeting your daughters needs. could you get some info about nursing toddlers and all of the emotional benefits (since you don't have milk anymore so don't need to talk about the nutritional). my 27 m.o. dd still nurses avidly and since i am pregnant my in-law's have been pressuring me and dh to wean. NO WAY! honestly i don't know what i would do if i didn't nurse her during meltdowns, bumps and scraps, not even to mention going to sleep.
good for you!
#3 of 3 Old 03-16-2008, 05:21 AM

I did the same thing. I weaned my son a 2 when I discovered I was pregnant. He didn't nurse for about 4 months and then by the end of my pregnancy I was so exhausted from chasing him around and dealing with the physicality of the meltdowns that I started to let him nurse again to calm him down and have some calm, snuggle time with him. Now I am tandem nursing him and his 6 month old brother. It is all working out pretty well and I am glad I listened to my heart and let him nurse again. I think when I weaned I mostly did so because I thought I couldn't possibly nurse while pregnant and when I have a new baby coming. But he clearly still needed the nursing and it made life easier on all of us. I think you should just do what feels right for you and your child. You don't have to come up with any excuses or explanations - it is your body and your baby!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page