Have you found CLW to harder on you after doing it once? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 03-19-2008, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been nursing for over 5 1/2 years straight now (almost 4 of those tandeming), and I just don't have the patience with toddler nursing like I did when it was just ds1. Tandeming two toddlers was so hard, and I set some limits with ds2 that I never would of dreamed of setting with ds1. I am trying to be better about things with dd1, but sometimes I already find myself not wanting to sit down because I know she will ask to nurse. I never say no when she asks, but I do find myself avoiding her asking. Ds2 just recently weaned at 4 yo altough he was down to only once every other week or so. I would love to be able to add #4 to our family, but I know that if I am already feeling this way right now there is no way I would be able to make it through nursing while pregnant right now. The skin crawling and anxiety attacks that come along with it for me are just more than I could bear right now. Dd1 is just 14 months, so we will be waiting another year or so and then see. Anyway, I guess what I am asking is, have any of you had these same issues? I know my 5 1/2 years pales in comparison to those of you nursing 10+ years. Any advice?

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-20-2008, 11:50 AM

no advice, just support! i think you are doing awesome! maybe you haven't been nursing for a decade, but you've been nursing twice as long as i have.

my boys are 2.5 years and 1 year (3/25). i'm already feeling icky at times with my older boy, and have decided not to ttc until they've both weaned. that could change, of course, but right now i feel like, "i am never doing this again!" i think it's worst when i'm overly tired, stressed, supply is low, etc - much like during pregnancy, where my body just couldn't quite keep up with all the demands. most of the time it's okay, but sometimes it's really unpleasant.

i lied, i do have a little advice. this is what works for me. when i'm feeling guilty or feel like i'm not "living up to" whatever it is (be it clw or some other part of my life), i try to let go of the ideas of what i should be doing and focus on what i am doing right, and what i can change to make it better. if limiting dd's nursing will allow you to reach a goal, because you're more relaxed and her nursing isn't bothering you as much, then that's great!
#3 of 5 Old 03-20-2008, 12:42 PM

I don't have any advice but I can relate a bit. My oldest CLW at 20 months - I was pregnant with his sister and he decided he didn't want to nurse anymore. A month later DD was born. She 'weaned' in October or November of last year but will occasionally nurse. She's 4.5 years.

Youngest DD is 21 months and I am ready to hang up the nursing hat. I am so touched out and find myself setting limits with DD2 that I didn't with DD1. And we are expecting again and I think that plays a bg role in my feelings.

Again, no advice. Just one day at a time.

#4 of 5 Old 03-21-2008, 02:13 AM

From my friends and others I've spoken to, I believe that the tandeming plays a factor in the way you are feeling. It is so easy to get "touched out" that way.

I personally am loving CLW the second time around, but I believe that is because I didn't get pg again (by choice) until DS#2 was nearly 4, and I did have just a couple of months without nursing before DD was born.

I have been pg and/or nursing for the past 7 yrs though
#5 of 5 Old 03-21-2008, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
I think it's worst when i'm overly tired, stressed, supply is low, etc - much like during pregnancy, where my body just couldn't quite keep up with all the demands. most of the time it's okay, but sometimes it's really unpleasant.
I think you really hit on something here for me. We just relocated less than 2months ago, and dh was working at his new job away from home for 3 months prior to that. Add in the month prior to that where we were wondering and worrying about what we were going to do and whether a job change was a good idea. I have been under tons of stress. I hope as we find our new normal in our life here that I will start feeling more patient. Thanks for that. I was exactly what I needed to hear!

Thanks to all of you that have shared your feelings with me. It really hleps to know that I am not the only one feeling this way at times.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page