post-nursing blues - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 05-07-2008, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that we did CLW with our son (2 yrs. 8 mo.), though I hadn't thought much about it. He was getting sort of wild when he nursed, slapping and wiggling around, and only nursing for a few seconds. It felt like it was time, so a few weeks ago, I started distracting him the few times he asked. Now he isn't asking at all... instead, he asks for me to stretch with him on the floor and we play for a while and giggle. I think this kind of "mommy-time" has replaced nursing, and it's been really gradual.

Now I'm getting this fullness in my chest that I've noticed over the past week. It's not painful, just like a kind of ache. Sort of like phantom fullness (like the phantom kicking I felt after I was no longer pregnant)? I'm also more than a little depressed lately, and I'm starting to think it's because this wonderful period we had to together is over. Is this normal?

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-08-2008, 12:58 PM

I konw for me, (we couldn't CLW due to ehr med. issues) but post-nursnig, even with trying to gradually wean myself down witha pump and some continued nursing, I had extreme blues bordering on PPD for several weeks. I found a great herbal tonic at the HFS that helped get me past the week or two that the hormone shift was worst, but it did take sometime for my body to adjust to not producing milk.
#3 of 5 Old 05-08-2008, 02:25 PM

I TOTALLY got post-weaning depression. I never had PPD or anything, but when I weaned DD I got super depressed, DH started worrying about me and we were thinking that I may need to go on meds of some kind. All through my breastfeeding I had horrible hormonal issues, so I think that played a major role in it after weaning. I really started getting worried, I haven't been that depressed since before DD was conceived, it was pretty awful. It lasted about 2 weeks, once my milk dried up it was pretty much done.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):

#4 of 5 Old 05-08-2008, 06:10 PM

Thank you, thank you for posting this and for the replies already. I just posted a very similar thread in BFing past a year. I hope you and I both feel better soon.
#5 of 5 Old 05-08-2008, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaye_to_2 View Post
Thank you, thank you for posting this and for the replies already. I just posted a very similar thread in BFing past a year. I hope you and I both feel better soon.
Thanks, everyone. I will have to check out the thread in the other forum if I can find it.

For anyone: how do I know when my milk has "dried up"? I feel like it should be dried up at this point, but I still feel these aches at times... and I need to do something about this depression.

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page