A question about CLW and supply? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 06-24-2008, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first venture into this forum, so excuse me if this is a question that is answered frequently.

My little nursling is only 7.5 m/o, but I am very interested in CLW (that is assuming the Army leaves us in the same country...).
As I was reading some posts, I noticed that it seems as the child gets older, the daily nursings drastically reduce...to like once or twice a day. How do you maintain milk? I am apart from my LO for 12 hours a day and am obsessive about not going any longer than 4 hours between pumping sessions...so what changes?

Married to my best friend since 08/05
Joyful mother to DS born 11/07 and DD born 04/10 (an unexpected HB)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-24-2008, 12:48 AM

Really there are a lot of variables. Dd nursed 10-12 times a day until somewhere between 2 and 2.5yrs.

-Angela
#3 of 8 Old 06-24-2008, 01:41 AM

mine currently nurses 3x a day. I don't worry about my supply. I figure that my breasts have just adjusted to her nursing 3x a day instead of more. If one day she needs to nurse a little more then thats fine, its mostly for comfort since I know that there is probably not enough there for that many feedings, but she still gets a lot of comfort out of the extra sucking. She gets most of her nutrition from solids, and as I see it, the milk is just a bonus. So I don't worry how much is there or not there.

Married the love of my life : on 3/18/06, SAHM to Livi 3/11/07 : and Eva 10/10/09 :

#4 of 8 Old 06-24-2008, 03:38 AM

IME the daily nursings don't really drastically reduce. I mean the process is really slow. They don't normally go from 10 nursings a day to 1 nursing a day. As their nursing tapers off so does supply. They can work to get it up though if they want or need to. After a few years it is pretty easy for your breasts to supply on demand.
#5 of 8 Old 06-24-2008, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
IME the daily nursings don't really drastically reduce. I mean the process is really slow. They don't normally go from 10 nursings a day to 1 nursing a day. As their nursing tapers off so does supply. They can work to get it up though if they want or need to. After a few years it is pretty easy for your breasts to supply on demand.
pak
Ok...so there is a sort of breast maturation that occurs over time that makes maintaining suppy easier? I figured that the actual quantity of milk would stop being important after a certain age when solids were the primary nutrition source, but I wondered if the decrease in nursings could lead to "drying up".

Married to my best friend since 08/05
Joyful mother to DS born 11/07 and DD born 04/10 (an unexpected HB)
#6 of 8 Old 06-25-2008, 08:08 AM

I wonder this too. My supply has always been a rollercoaster. I just can't imagine having very much milk after age 2+. At what point is it mainly comfort? Is there really anything in there but a few drops for nursing 4 year olds?
#7 of 8 Old 06-25-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post
I wonder this too. My supply has always been a rollercoaster. I just can't imagine having very much milk after age 2+. At what point is it mainly comfort? Is there really anything in there but a few drops for nursing 4 year olds?
It's really very individual.

-Angela
#8 of 8 Old 06-25-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ians_mommy View Post
pak
Ok...so there is a sort of breast maturation that occurs over time that makes maintaining suppy easier? I figured that the actual quantity of milk would stop being important after a certain age when solids were the primary nutrition source, but I wondered if the decrease in nursings could lead to "drying up".
Your breasts become trained so to speak. Most women experience an increase in supply with subsequent children and some women can lactate for a long time. My mom nursed 3 out of 4 children and she still had milk when I was 13 even though I weaned at 2. I remember her getting mastitis and having to hand express to treat it. Typically the volume of milk decreases with the volume of nursing as long as another nursing child isn't introduced. The only time I had no milk while nursing DD was when I got pregnant with DS when she was 3. She was still nursing for nutritive reasons at 2 and she dropped dramatically by her 3rd birthday. She dry nursed for about 5 months and weaned while I was pregnant.

It is pretty neat when you think about how sophisticated your breasts are. They can change milk production and content based upon age. Even if there are multiple nurslings they will produce milk according to the youngest nursing child. Biofeedback allows them to understand when someone is sick and change the content of the milk as well.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page