Were You Ready When you LO Weaned? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 10-21-2008, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey for those who've gone through the entire CLW journey I was wondering...

Were you ready when your LO weaned? Did you have a peace about it? Or was it a tragic and sad/overwhelming??

DD is going on 10mos... She's not eating a ton of solids at the moment, she just got more interested in the last 2 weeks or so and she'll nibble at stuff off my plate... But the thought of her weaning in the next few months (like if she were to wean at even 16mos) breaks my heart.

DH came home from work tonight sharing a story about a co-worker whose son when he was about 22 mos said "No Mommie I done" when he was not quite 2.

I really really want DD to nurse till she's at least 2 if not 3...My Mom says I weaned at 13 mos but she really did push solids and I also went on strike and she gave up trying to get me back to the breast after a week because she realized she was pregnant.

I'm not ready to think about DD being old enough to wean... I think 3 would be a good age, like a time when I could think I'd be "ready"...maybe.

Is this making sense???

Were you emotionally prepared when your LO was done nursing? I mean it's obviously bittersweet when they hit another "last" but I'm worried that I'll be devistated or some thing.

ETA: I'm just wondering if babies really do totally CLW before 2 if they don't get sippies or things?? I really want DD to get my milk for as long as possible, I had horrible bouts with ear infections and allergies when I was little and I think it would have been better if I had nursed longer...Also the thought of her deciding she's "done" all of a sudden and unexpectedly breaks my heart...I would hope that I would be prepared and know it's coming

So Did you know it was coming???

Hannah ...
Wife since 2005...
Blessed to spend my days with my 3 +1 daytime side kick. 6~5~2~2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Delight Directed MishMashed Classical Homeschoolers...
Learning around monocular vision and intermittent Estropia, auditory processing challenges, and SPD

Striving for autoimmune healing, Simplicity and peace.
TTAPPer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-21-2008, 10:43 PM

I was devestated when dd weaned at 15 months. I was 3 months pg and had really hoped she would be able to nurse through and beyond the pregnancy, but for her it was just over.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#3 of 12 Old 10-21-2008, 11:45 PM

VancouverMommy I bet having a little brother makes up for the lost nursing time! (or thats what I tell myself )

I think it is very rare for children to self-wean before two years of age (imo, if pregnancy occurs before the child is two that can hasten weaning but it can no longer be considered child-led).

With DD I was sad when she weaned. But that was mostly because she was sad when she weaned. I also felt that she really would have nursed longer if I had not partially weaned her while I was pg and then put limits on her continuing after DS was born.

With DS I was only happy. He was so proud of himself and I knew that he had truly been allowed to self wean. It was great to see him so proud of his accomplishment (weaning) and thinking of our relationship to that point.

#4 of 12 Old 10-22-2008, 01:14 AM

NO! DS weaned himself at 17 months! I tried and tried and he would push me away. waaaa
#5 of 12 Old 10-22-2008, 02:06 AM

It is unusual for a child to truly self wean before 2. BUT many things that are seen as "normal" in our society contribute to early weaning.

Can't speak to a child weaning... haven't been there yet. Dd is 4yrs old and still nursing and says she will forever....

-Angela
#6 of 12 Old 10-22-2008, 08:30 AM

I was crushed when DD quit nursing at 17 months. She had a horrible ear infection and it was just too painful to nurse. I tried so hard after the infection cleared up to get her to nurse again, but unfortunately she was not interested. I was sooo sad. DS will be 4 next week and is still nursing (even with me having to leave him for 3 weeks) every night before bed. I thought for sure when I left that it would be the end, but right when I got home he was like, "Mommy, I want milkies":

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#7 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 10:45 AM

Yes! With DS he was 5 months when I got pg again. My tiny body just couldn't handle it. I tried all the ways I could find to keep my milk production coming, but it wouldn't.

With DD she self weaned at less than one year. Right under 12 months. I tried and tried to get her to keep bf'ing. I know now she just wants to do everything she sees her brother doing, but better. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen. She eats more than him and makes it a race. She runs faster, has to ride her tricycle better. I know people think I'm crazy for letting her do it, but she climbs right up all the biggest monkey bars and everything (of course I've always got my hands loosly around her waist.). She's a little Miss Independant thing.

mdcblog5.gif  Mama's Projects  This is my blog (mostly sewing, some cooking and gardening occasionally).
The link doesn't seem to be keeping, so here's the web address.  http://mommasewingprojects.blogspot.com/
#8 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 11:39 AM

Weaning during pregnancy is not truly child-led weaning. Especially under a year.

They wean not because they're finished nursing, but because there is no more milk.

-Angela
#9 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Weaning during pregnancy is not truly child-led weaning. Especially under a year.

They wean not because they're finished nursing, but because there is no more milk.

-Angela
Yeah, but I wasn't pregnant when DD weaned, and I was't drying up either.

mdcblog5.gif  Mama's Projects  This is my blog (mostly sewing, some cooking and gardening occasionally).
The link doesn't seem to be keeping, so here's the web address.  http://mommasewingprojects.blogspot.com/
#10 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I wasn't ready when my daughters weaned- DD2 weaned at 14mo, and then a month later DD1 weaned at 30mo, and I was devastated. I was probably reacting more to DD2's weaning than to DD1's, but it was a rough transition for me all the same. If I'd had internet access back then, I think I could have gotten DD2 back to the breast, but my only support person at the time was of the attitude that kids should only nurse for 12-13m and "she's had enough nursing already. Cow's milk is fine."

I was NOT OK with this weaning, and the very thought of breastfeeding made me very sad for years later, until I got pg again.

DS self-weaned at 4.25yo. He'd cut down to about twice a day 6 months before, then it was once a day, then once every two days....we were both ready. I felt nothing but peace about it.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#11 of 12 Old 10-23-2008, 04:44 PM

YES! I was quite ready when DS weaned. He was a month shy of 5 years old. I had been tandeming for 25 months, which wasn't a problem, but I was ready to be done nursing DS. I knew it was coming since he was down to just "emergency breastfeeds," meaning just when he needed extra comfort. I didn't know the exact day it would the last since he would skip days before he was done for good.

DD is only 2.5 years old and I'm thrilled that she's still nursing even though I'm pg. (DS nursed through pg too - but he was a comfort nurser while my DD wasn't, so I was worried she would wean). If DD weans at only 2.5 years, I will not be ready for it.
#12 of 12 Old 10-24-2008, 12:27 AM

My thoughts on this is if the child leads in the weaning process, the child will be able to dictate the tone of the weaning. Being free to decide will provide the child a sense of safety and comfort knowing that he is able to nurse when he needs it or say no when he is ready. What mother wouldn't be at peace knowing that she provided her child with ample opportunity to wean when his needs are met and her child decided that he is ready to wean?

After all, is it sad when babies learn to crawl, walk, talk, etc? Or are we happy to see our children grow and develop and joyfully enter the next stage in their development?

Nature has a way of working it out for everyone if nature is allowed to do her 'job' without outside interference

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page