Retained placental fragment? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 01-08-2006, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my UC baby on Jan. 2 at 1:45a.m. it went pretty well. There was a tight cord around his neck, at least 4 times and I had a little trouble with getting the placenta out. I guess I retained a little bit because I just found a string of something coming out of me ... it seems to still be attached. Does anyone know what I should do to help get it out?

We named our baby Cirdan Birch BTW ... he's beautiful and perfect and we love him a lot. I'll share the birth story as soon as I write it!

Thanks in advance!
Angel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-08-2006, 03:08 AM

First off- Congratulations mama! Can I add you to our UC support list?\PM me! ***Duh- you're on it already...sorry preggy brain here!***
Okay- so, if you have retained the placenta at all, I believe you would become ill- feverish, cramping, overall not well. How are you feeling? Sweats? shakes? from what I understand retained placenta can lead to possible infection. Those are reactions to infection.
I am not an expert at all- I bet some Midwives will chime in with information about this.
Pamamidwife? MWHerbs?

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#3 of 8 Old 01-08-2006, 08:51 AM

Most mamas I've heard having retained placenta, it eventually came out on their own as the uterus will keep trying to slough it off... not sure though... I'd say to take vitamin C and stay well hydrated as your body works it out. and hopefully someone with more experience will say something.

Congrats on Cirdan Birch, beautiful name!

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#4 of 8 Old 01-08-2006, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

It actually seemed to be membrane rather than placenta ... I called our old MW last night and asked her about it after I got a better idea of what it was and she told me to just pull it out ... which I did. I felt better IMMEDIATELY but I'm not 100% sure that that was everything. After I thought about it, I realized that when I got the placenta out the night that Cirdan was born, I passed the placenta (and at that point was quite sure it was complete) but I thought that the sack looked pretty small and besides that ... I yanked on it when the placenta had come out and I found the membranes still kinda stuck I guess I should have remembered that, but it immediately slipped my mind ... gee the things we choose to forget huh? Anyway, I'm taking colliodal silver and extra vitamin c and making sure I take it easy ... if any more stuff needs to come out, hopefully it will soon. BTW, my old MW said the same thing happened to her and she passed the membranes at 10 days PP, so I felt a lot better about it coming at 6 days for me.

Thanks again for your responses! I can't wait to share the birth story we are so proud and our baby is so wonderful!!!

HUGS
Angel
#5 of 8 Old 01-10-2006, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You may see some more 'stuff' to come. A common time for any little bits (or retained placenta/membranes) to come out is at 2 weeks. Just watch for excessive bleeding. You may feel extra crampy and pass some clots before the actual items come out. Lots of nursing around that time will help.

Congratulations Mama on your birth and welcome little one!
#6 of 8 Old 01-10-2006, 02:23 PM

I had a retained cotyldon (sp?) (lobe of placenta) for 6 weeks, my body finally had a few good cramps and then it came out. It took its time! But did eventually come out on its own. I didn't know it was in there, though when we inspected the placenta I thought there was a bit missing. I also had a long string of membranes about 2 weeks PP, which I pulled on and nothing followed for another few weeks. HTH!
#7 of 8 Old 01-10-2006, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had "trailing membranes" with a couple of my births and used Angelica Tincture to help them out. Even without using this tincture, your body will do what it needs to do!
#8 of 8 Old 01-11-2006, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

I did pass a piece of placenta last night and I anticipate that there's still more stuff to come. I have cervical pressure as I type this and my flow can have an odor sometimes. I feel pretty confident that it will all come out though and the sooner the better it kinda sucks and I wish I hadn't pulled it apart when the baby was born, but MOST of it was sitting on my cervix and it was such overwhelming pressure I just wanted to get rid of it right away. I have heard of using angelica to help things along and I think maybe we'll pick some up next time we're out.

Thanks again ... I appreciate all your responses and hearing about your experiences

hugs
Angel

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page