What knowledge does one need for UC? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 06-28-2006, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't feel prepared for my birth yet, but I guess if I had a checklist of what info I need to know, then I could find out where I'm lacking.

Common complications that I can think of:
-cord around the neck
-meconium aspiration
-placenta won't come out
-hemorrhaging

What else? Besides complications, what do you consider essential to know?

How do you know your baby's position? I keep feeling and feeling but I'm not sure exactly what I'm feeling! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-28-2006, 12:20 PM

Hello!

I've estimated I'm due at the end of February. What I and my husband were worried about was shoulder dystocia, but we found a great site that really helped us out and made us feel a lot better.

The site: http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/...rDystocia.html
#3 of 11 Old 06-28-2006, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
These kinds of posts don't usually get immediate attention because they're not quick and easy to answer. I can't spend the time to formulate a decent answer right now, but I'll be back.

#4 of 11 Old 07-27-2006, 10:35 PM

Just thought I'd bump this up, cause I want to know the same thing.

Cord around neck - I think first try to uploop it, sometimes the rest of the baby can still be pushed out with the cord still wrapped, but if it's super tight, without slack to do that, I would clamp and cut it and then push the baby out. Just what I'd do

Bleeding - I would breastfeed or eat part of my placenta. I know there are many herbs and homeopathic supplements that help with bleeding.

Don't know about the others you listed. But tried to think of a few others to add:

-If the baby is having problems breathing
-If the baby isn't breathing and is blue
- If the baby is breech, are there tips to make birth smoother?
#5 of 11 Old 07-27-2006, 10:47 PM

www.unhinderedliving.com/childbirth.html
"handling variations of the normal"(section)
www.empoweredchildbrith.com
have great sources on how to handle things
#6 of 11 Old 07-27-2006, 10:48 PM

http://www.empoweredchildbirth.com/
click on this one it should work
#7 of 11 Old 07-27-2006, 11:08 PM

The ability to listen to one's own body and intuition and tune out everything else.
#8 of 11 Old 07-28-2006, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
:

I'm so sorry I never got back to your questions. I'm kind of in lurk mode right now. Now that the search function is back up, you can do a search for these terms in the UC forum, they have all been discussed at length. I'd also recommend doing a search under the user name "Pamamidwife", she has a lot of good insight.
#9 of 11 Old 07-28-2006, 01:45 AM

Yeah, there are tons of threads on each of your concerns. Hmm...in short though (not gonna get too detailed here, babe's tugging on my toes, lol):

Cord around the neck: Very common, just uncoil it after babe is out (well...some people can uncoil it once the head is out, but sometimes a short cord makes that difficult)

Meconium aspiration: a lot of times is caused by medical interventions and fetal stress, but even if baby inhales meconium, watch him carefully. if he/she looks and acts fine, it could be fine. If babe was grunting or not breathing, or gasping, or otherwise grabbing at my instinct to get help, then I'd get help.

Placenta wont come out: breastfeeding usually speeds this along. Placenta may take anywhere from 5 minute to even two days (or more?...I forget if there was a lady on here that had it take longer than that...), and thats fine as long as you do not feel ill. There are herbs that can help too.

Hemmorhaging: I'd eat a piece of the placenta ASAP whether I were hemmorhaging or not. Breastfeed. I think there are herbs for this one as well.

Breathing problems: Turn babe on stomach and gently rub back. Turn the hot water on in the shower and let the steam help clear airways. If it is serious and babe isnt breathing, perform infant cpr, if that isnt working call an ambulance.

Breech: a standing squat has been known to be the most helpful position. Do not let anyone tell you what to do! Go with your instincts here, let gravity help as much as possible. RELAXATION is seriously key here. The baby's head can come out perfectly fine. It is usually a frightened mother that literally closes up that causes problems. Dont let anyones negativity get to you. Address your fears, do research. Knowledge is power.

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#10 of 11 Old 07-30-2006, 07:31 AM

I know I think of "warning" signs, like bleeding before birth is eminent is a sign of the placenta detatching early. Not sure what # this is for you, but for me, if labor varied drastically from my others - say constant close hard contract for over a day (I have had very short easy labors), I would seriously consider finding out if there was a real prob., or not.
Basically, if you are in tune to the preg. birth, you will know in your heart if anything is other than is meant to be.
#11 of 11 Old 07-30-2006, 12:52 PM

I just bought a book called Emergency Childbirth off of Amazon. It's a book written for police officers and paramedics adn covers everything that could happen. I figured I won't read it but will have DH read it incase I need him to intervene in any way. Your questions are a lot like the ones I had this week too when I made this decision to really start looking into UC.
Kidzaplenty gave me some great information on THIS POST. It really helped answer alot of what you are feeling and wondering and made me feel much more secure in this choice.

To go along with the answer on here about baby not breathing. As long as baby is attached to the cord still, s/he is getting oxygen. By keeping baby attached longer, it can help give you time to do what is mentioned and get baby breathing on his/her own.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page