Anything else to be wary of with penicillin allergy? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So baby with a lot of food sensitivities, no confirmed allergies, but still not at baseline had antibiotics this week. I fought with myself about giving them, but he had a double ear infection with a ruptured eardrum (thus making a lot of natural remedies not an option) and oozing pus onto the sheets. The ped that prescribed them has never prescribed abx for my 2.5 year old and is known in the area for being good with not prescribing them unless really needed. Plus, earlier in the day, our chiro looked at them and thought the right one was really bad and probably needed abx in his opinion.

I gave dose 1 on Wednesday morning, he vomited more than normal, but with him, is it a reaction or a bad day? I decided not to give the evening dose because I was worried about sleeping through a reaction. Yesterday morning, I gave a second dose and he had a nap. When he got up he had hives, flushed cheeks, swollen and bright red hands and feet and more rash on his back. So, so penicillin for him.

Is there anything else that goes along with penicillin/amoxicillin allergies I should be aware of besides other abx? The ped in this mornning (not our regular and not one I cared for) didn't think so, but I thought I'd check.

Oddly, the vinegar scented poop he's had for months, seems to be knocked out by the two doses he had. I guess it managed to knock out the bad stuff as well as the good in his intestines. I'm taking this opportunity to up his probiotics to try and re-populate with more good stuff. Plus, his ears were clear this morning, making me doubt that he really needed the meds in the first place and being even more upset with caving and giving them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 07:55 PM

I'm allergic to the cheesemaking strains of Penicillium spp., but that is pretty rare. It basically means no moldy cheeses (blue, camembert, brie, etc).

I know someone who reacted to eggs from chickens fed abx. Again, not common.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#3 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 08:03 PM

I also have a penicillin allergy and have reacted to blue cheese (though the allergy has never been confirmed, my lips and tongue tingled as though they were getting ready to swell.) I had no idea that this kind of reaction is rare, but I know very little about allergies.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to N (14) and N (12) and O (6).

#4 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
10% of those w/ cillin allergies, have cephalosporin allergies as well. AJ and I have ceph allergies and are fine w/ cillins, my grandma is the opposite.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#5 of 14 Old 12-27-2008, 01:47 AM

DD2 is allergic to amoxicillan, but can do the Keflex (so for once she's a 90%, not a 10%).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#6 of 14 Old 12-27-2008, 01:58 AM

my g-pa is allergic to penicillin and nothing else. my mom is allergic to penicillin and nothing else that she knows of, although i think she is dairy intollerant.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#7 of 14 Old 12-27-2008, 01:23 PM

Did you just stop the abx or did they give you something different to finish with?

Just anecdotally, my mom is allergic to penicillin and chocolate. I doubt they are related though. But her sister also died as a child after taking penicillin, but this was 55 years ago when they didn't have as much advanced lifesaving things, and she had been taking it for several days. SO I believe it can run in families, but most doctors will say it is not one of those allergies that is familial-related.
#8 of 14 Old 12-27-2008, 05:23 PM

A friend of mine is allergic to penicillan and all the derivatives, but her kids are fine with it (her DH is a pharmacist). So that one didn't get passed down through her.

I wonder though, how many of these food intolerance kids are also allergic to other things, like penacillin, and what that means (I need a grant -- I still think it's an overactive immune system).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#9 of 14 Old 12-27-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
(I need a grant -- I still think it's an overactive immune system).
I agree! We do need a grant. I think we could solve it all. I have actually wondered this, what types of scientist/research person would do this type of research? Would it be a nutritionist? Biochemistry? Anyone know?
#10 of 14 Old 12-27-2008, 07:08 PM

be careful with zithromax/zithromicin (spelling probably not correct.) dd is allergic to zithro and we've been told to be very careful with penicillian. she had a possible reaction to amox. but we're not sure. she's also allergic to the ear drop pain reliver they give for ear infections (i want to call it augmentin but i might be wrong, i have a head cold so i can't remember jack.) not sure if it's related but it made my dd's face swell.

Mama of three.

#11 of 14 Old 12-27-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Did you just stop the abx or did they give you something different to finish with?

Just anecdotally, my mom is allergic to penicillin and chocolate. I doubt they are related though. But her sister also died as a child after taking penicillin, but this was 55 years ago when they didn't have as much advanced lifesaving things, and she had been taking it for several days. SO I believe it can run in families, but most doctors will say it is not one of those allergies that is familial-related.
I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this above comment. According to my ped, "The AAP states that drug allergies such as allergic reactions to penicillin are not hereditary". I looked at her and told her I didn't give a flip what the AAP states. My mother is highly allergic to penicillin - breathing problems and such, my sister is highly allergic to penicillin as well. And my middle child broke out in hives that spread so quickly the nurse practitioner took one look at her and was out the door to grab the Benadryl. She's been in practice for over 20 years and said she has never seen such a bad antibiotic reaction. So, when any of my children is on any medication, even one that they've taken before, I am very cautious about it. I give meds when the child will be in MY presence and awake for at least 2 hours after taking it. If the child really needs a dose of meds but it's naptime then the child takes their nap ON me in the rocking chair so that I can keep an eye on them.

I hate to sound nutty and paranoid... but I'm tired of the relaxed attitude that most doctors (and really most people in general) have about allergies.

Beth
#12 of 14 Old 12-27-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I wonder though, how many of these food intolerance kids are also allergic to other things, like penacillin, and what that means (I need a grant -- I still think it's an overactive immune system).
off-topic, but I wish I had grant money to give. My son's immune system is really weak, and our list of food allergies is pretty darn short compared to most peoples' here. I've wondered what's up with this.
#13 of 14 Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 AM

I broke out in all over hives with Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium) in my early teens. I hadn't had a reaction with penicilin before. I have no problem with Keflex. Becareful, because I've been prescribed a medicine of the "cilin" family twice after (and givin a dose once!) Thank God I didn't react badly, but I am very dismayed that two doctors could make the same BIG mistake. I caught the first mistake. The second was given to me after a tough delivery (my first baby) and I was kind of out of it with a high fever. They never told me what they were giving me and I was too sick to ask. Now I guess I'll have to make sure someone advocates for me because the hospital apparently has difficulty reading medical charts. :
Also I've had no problems with Zithromax (Z pack). And my mom has had a late in life reaction to penicilin.
#14 of 14 Old 12-31-2008, 01:23 AM

I have a severe allergy to Penicillin. I don't know any other specific allergies that it's related to, but I do know that the drug Penicillin is derived from mold, so your child will also be allergic to mold - either outside, or in the home - make sure your bathroom especially is well ventilated. Just something to be aware of. All the -cillin drugs are the same family, so I'd be wary of them. I'm not up on all the newer drugs out there, but I'd ask about the derivation of anything to make sure it wasn't fungal. HTH.

:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page