Formula for mom not baby! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 21 Old 01-18-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has any one tried this?

I posted my problem (3mo. with lots of bleeding and not responding to the TED) to the Ask the experts on this site and she suggested that I take the hypo allergenic formula and continue to breast feed!

Here is what she said:

"This is a very difficult case and you have done wonderfully so far. I commend your efforts, and your doctor for connecting you with another mom to share experiences. Yes I do have an idea, if you want the first best chance for improvement: formula. NO, not for baby but for you. I recommend that you try at least a couple weeks on one of the hypoallergenic amino acid infant formulas or other elemental infant or adult formula. While even this formula can irritate the most sensitive baby when fed directly, your body can convert it into just the right food for your baby with the least possible amount of potential allergens or irritants. Your milk has powerful anti-inflammatory properties to reduce irritation quickly, growth factors to help the intestines heal, and protective factors against intestinal infection that can sometimes go along with such unhappy bowels.

Some mothers find that even their high-quality prenatal vitamins irritate their sensitive breastfeeders. I have various suspicions as to why but no one really knows all possible factors involved. Though you may be taking various healthy supplements, I would stop these for a while in order to simplify the picture. I’m sure that you’ve been eating well and taking supplements so that you will have good stores of every nutrient you need in order to make nutritious milk for some time. The one thing you cannot store is vitamin C and I’d like to see you having more than the formula provides for several reasons. You need to ask your store’s vitamin advisor to help you find a source that is not made from citrus, as most are, and this is a common allergen. Rose hips or a chemically derived ascorbic acid will do. DHA from fish oil is valuable for helping to reduce intestinal reactions to foods. While you provide some in your milk without taking a supplement, supplementation does increase the amount you deliver. Go off of even these for a while but make this your first test introduction if you can. Buy a vegan DHA supplement made from algae as this will have lower allergenicity. Take two to four grams per day. Next try adding some Boswellia and a milk-free probiotic.

There is little guarantee of improvement with switching your infant to the various hypoallergenic formulas. If he’s having a hard time tolerating human baby food, he’ll likely have an even harder time with these multi-food and chemical derivations. They are a last resort try when all else fails and even then, continue to restrict the allergens in your diet and pump and store your milk. I find mothers of such sensitive infants trying one formula after another and then finally working to re-lactate or obtain allergen-free donor milk. The amino acid formulas have corn solids that contain traces of potentially allergenic corn proteins. Just as there are babies who react negatively to the DHA added to many formulas, there are babies who react to these elemental formulas for reasons unknown. There is a liquid hydrolyzed milk formula that has no corn but the hydrolyzation is not complete enough for extra sensitive infants. There are traces of milk proteins left to irritate.

While it’s important to have medical consultations in regards to the blood, use your baby’s stool consistency and appearance, any rash developments, and your child’s behavior as your main indicators of response. Some babies continue to have bleeding for unknown reasons even when they become happy, are gaining weight well, and have no diarrhea or excess gas.

Your baby may have developed sensitivities to any foods you have consumed during the very end of your pregnancy and during breastfeeding. When it’s time to start introducing foods back into your diet, select foods that you have not eaten during these times. For this reason, lamb is a common elimination diet food and in fact, I would not object to your trying it along with your formula trial if it is indeed a new food for you. If you do not find the taste of the formula to be working for you, you can use pure maple syrup or table sugar to sweeten, or throw it in the blender with dates, ice, and some vanilla. You were right to try rice as it’s very commonly tolerated by the most sensitive individuals but sensitivity to even rice can develop when it’s present in already irritated intestines. I would avoid further rice consumption at this point. Hemp milk may be a new food for you and would be a good food to add to your diet soon. You can also make tapioca with this. New fruits such as lychee and star fruit may be found at an Asian market. Quinoa is a nutritious possibility and so is yam. Peruse the shelves and think creatively. "

Has anyone tryed this? I think it's brilliant. Going to the gastroenterologist tomarrow we'll see if she'd give me a RX.

Thank you everyone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 01-18-2009, 12:57 PM

there was a fabulous mama on this site that did this a few months ago....hopefully she will chime in!
#3 of 21 Old 01-18-2009, 01:43 PM

Yes, there is an amazing mama here who has. I'm subbing.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010

#4 of 21 Old 01-18-2009, 03:26 PM

Wow... thanks for the intro guys.

That was me. I drank Neocate E028 for a couple weeks. I thought that I had chosen the only elemental without corn syrup solids (DD is allergic to corn), but apparently the flavor I got (orange-pineapple) is the only flavor WITH the corn syrup solids. But, there still were other allergens in it, like sunflower oil. (Even though it's broken down to amino acids, people with intolerances [vs. "true" allergies] can still react.)

Anyway, DD showed immediate improvement, and I though all was going well. But in my second week drinking it, she started showing symptoms again. They were more subtle- just minor eczema spots, tantrums, sleep & behavior changes... but they slowly got worse and worse and after 2 weeks I finally threw in the towel and declared the experiment a failure.

I also tried another (adult) elemental formula (which was DISGUSTING btw), and DD reacted to that one too.

Reviewing everything that happened, I realized that DD's fast improvement when I started the formula meant that there was still something that I had been eating that was bothering her. So I started from scratch again, with the 5 or 6 foods that I knew were safe for me to eat, and I've been slooooooowly adding foods back in since then. We're up to about 10 safe foods now, but most foods that I trail fail.

Check out my blog for more details of our journey (link in sig).

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#5 of 21 Old 01-18-2009, 04:05 PM

I just went back and read your WHOLE post after responding. Was this a response from the formula company?? If so, I am shocked that they are so candid about the fact that the formula may not be tolerated by sensitive babies, and that's it really a last resort option. They actually gave you a lot of really good advice too!

#6 of 21 Old 01-18-2009, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mama, the issue is that baby is reacting to YOUR leaky gut. Basically, baby doesn't get optimized nutrition, if your gut is leaking undigested proteins. The child's reactions are a cue about YOUR leaky gut. To heal your food intolerances, you have to remove the foods.

So, the elemental formula may rest your gut enough to heal. But, if you are still consuming any allergens, it is going to remain inflamed. Elemental formulas include CORN and SOY, generally. Both are highly allergenic.

Did you (or baby) have antibiotics, steroids, antacids anytime with pregnancy or since birth? I would prefer to see a mama consume WHOLE foods of a LARGE variety, in rotation, which are LEAST allergenic, than to consume a limited variety of elemental allergens in a HUGE quantity. Difference of philosophy. But, I tend toward the natural side of health more than the "scientific cure".

I'd work at adding the top 10 'gut healing' supplements to maximize health. CLO, CO, magnesium, zinc, vitamins A, B, C, D, E, selenium, bone broths, whole food probiotics: (non-dairy) yogurt, kefir, kombucha, fermented vegetables. (These are easy, although "foreign" at first.)

Also, high doses of vit C, and Epsom salt baths for detox.

Start here, the yeast stuff is covered there: https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=941070 It talks about C-sections initially. But, the point is antibiotics leading to allergies leading to asthma. All due to yeast overgrowth.

And here, regarding preventing chronic immune system issues: https://www.mothering.com/discussions...c#post12948063

Food intolerances is an external manifestation of an impaired immune system. Our gut is 70% of our immune system. I'd focus on healing your/his gut. There is a sticky at the top of the forum, "Healing the Gut-cheat sheet": https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=434071 I'd start there.

Nutrient dense foods and gut health are the keys to strengthening the immune system. Here is a list of the "World's Healthiest Foods". This is a non-profit site which lists the most nutrient dense foods. http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

Start with little steps. Do one new thing that benefits your health each week. Master that. Understand WHY it is important and work it into your lifestyle. If I go headlong into a bunch of new stuff, the novelty and maintenance wear off. Start with reading one thread a week. Take notes.

Also, I would RUN to the closest classical homeopath IMMEDIATELY for both of you. But, that is a whole 'nuther post.

Pat

I have a blog.
#7 of 21 Old 01-18-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

WuWei

I'm totally overwhelmed by your response. i think you are right. In this process I was had the Comprehensive Food panel IgG ELISA test which turned up sensitivities to Gluten and Dairy. Two things that were big in my diet. and minor to yeast both bakers and brewers. And now realizing have had digestive issues for a long time.

My both my sons were born by C-section, both were breech.

My ND has just given me Tyler Similase GFCF glunet and casein digestive enzymes with DPP IV.

Thank you soo much for your help. I don't feel like I have a lot of time as baby has had alot of blood reciently but the last poop was no visible blood. Today I changed my diet.

ALso with the TED he has gotten worse.

Thank you again.
#8 of 21 Old 01-18-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppletonMama View Post

My ND has just given me Tyler Similase GFCF glunet and casein digestive enzymes with DPP IV.

Thank you soo much for your help. I don't feel like I have a lot of time as baby has had alot of blood reciently but the last poop was no visible blood. Today I changed my diet.

I'm so confused. Your ND gave you enzymes to help you digest foods to which you're intolerant?
Is that standard practice? If it is, I'm seriously appalled and only now really starting to realize how lucky I've been in my choice of ND (as well as really lucking out with my allergist).

There was also another mom on here whose babe was getting worse and worse with a TED, I believe. I don't know her story as well as cs's (even though I had subbed to the thread- it was hard to follow because I wasn't well), but perhaps she may have some advice as well.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#9 of 21 Old 01-18-2009, 06:55 PM

Yes, you want to heal your gut, not just digest the foods somewhat more effectively. I'd absolutely eliminate both dairy and gluten totally.

Here is a link hidden dairy casein: http://www.kellymom.com/store/handou...dden-dairy.pdf

Pat

I have a blog.
#10 of 21 Old 01-18-2009, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

I belive my ND gave me the enzimes to help with hidden (cross contamination etc.. ) gluten or dairy.

Thanks everyone I'm loving this site:
#11 of 21 Old 01-18-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
My DD got worse and worse when I went on an ED and then a TED. I finally discovered she was intolerant of rice (I kept eating more of it as I was taking out other things). I also eventually learned she was intolerant of pears (the only fruit I was eating) but her reactions weren't as bad. We never did reach baseline but she did get significantly better. So even though TED foods are supposed to be the least allergenic, your baby may be reacting to one or more of those foods. You may have to keep switching foods out until you find something that works.
#12 of 21 Old 01-18-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I believe my ND gave me the enzymes to help with hidden (cross contamination etc.. ) gluten or dairy.
My understanding is that the enzymes are derived from animal or plants/fungi. All of which can cause food intolerances, or be allergens.

I believe that you need to exclude all gluten and dairy to be effective at healing. I'll say, except cultured goat's milk is often tolerated and has significant probiotic benefits.

Pat

I have a blog.
#13 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Mama, the issue is that baby is reacting to YOUR leaky gut. Basically, baby doesn't get optimized nutrition, if your gut is leaking undigested proteins. The child's reactions are a cue about YOUR leaky gut. To heal your food intolerances, you have to remove the foods.
Pat, can I ask you something about this? I apologize for any derailing. I always wonder about this when I see you write it, and the answer is something probably very simple, but I'm not getting it.

I don't show any signs of intolerances, but I had a leaky gut obviously since DS reacted to food via breastmilk. I feel the exact same health-wise today as I did pre-TED a year ago. However, DS has improved as we discovered his (multiple) triggers.

Why was he ok with some food that I ate? If my gut was leaky, then all the food I ate would be incompletely digested... why was it that we had safe foods at all? Or to put it another way, regardless of who had the intolerances (him or me), why does a leaky guy trigger intolerances only of certain foods? I hope I'm making sense... Thanks...
#14 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom View Post

Why was he ok with some food that I ate? If my gut was leaky, then all the food I ate would be incompletely digested... why was it that we had safe foods at all? Or to put it another way, regardless of who had the intolerances (him or me), why does a leaky guy trigger intolerances only of certain foods? I hope I'm making sense... Thanks...
There are so many possible iterations, your gut could be leaking worse and worse over time (and thus progressively losing nutrient absorption). Or improve over time with elimination of the culprit foods. Also, we become sensitized to foods when they are recognized as "foreign" in our body. So, if you ate only six foods every day and your gut was leaking, over time your body builds up enough reactivity to the undigested proteins to have more obvious reaction TO THOSE FOODS. Just like with each subsequent exposure, our body is more "experienced" at attacking the allergen. If you ate a lot of a particular (undigestible) food while pregnant, your body would have more histamine reaction when you eat it again and again.

Generally, we have such a varied diet, that we may not trigger an "obvious" symptom of intolerance in ourself, or not even recognize how we feel as "unhealthy". It is just our "normal". And with such a varied diet, it is more difficult to isolate and eliminate the specific foods which are triggers. While on TED, I'd guess that you may not have identified which/all of the foods to which you were intolerant. Or that your body became intolerant of the small number of foods which you consumed on TED.

That is why I believe the "expert" opinion above is so refreshingly progressive! The recognition that the foods we commonly consumed, are most likely to cause reactions, in a leaky gut. Thus, to decrease reactions, choose the foods which are nutrient dense but not "usual" for our own diet. That is probably why I could consume so much salmon while breastfeeding, when we were avoiding allergens. Salmon hadn't been a "normal" protein for me on a daily basis.

That is also why I believe that rotation with shorter trials offers more opportunity for MORE foods. The more the "bucket" is filled with a potential allergen, the more likely the scales are tipped to *reaction*. So, an exposure daily for four days in a row, seems unnecessarily pushing the envelope, imo. A two day exposure with a four day break, seems much more likely to avoid *reactions* and less intolerance development, imo.

I had a lot more foods than some of the mamas. Like all meats, and fruits, except berries and citrus, and some limit on vegetables. No dairy or wheat. But, it provided more options so as not to *create* intolerances by overflowing the "bucket" with allergen exposure.

Before child, I had a very varied diet however, and I think that may be a variable in my "lack of obvious intolerances" myself. But, when I was exhausted postpartum and eating large quantities of a limited number of foods (mostly dairy and wheat, which I consumed a ton of while pregnant), it tipped the bucket to overflowing with MY allergens. (and I mean intolerances, no IgE).

So, net is we only react to some specific proteins (more strongly), not all undigested proteins (less frequent exposure with less developed reactivity). But, baby reacts to our undigested proteins AND our reaction (histamines) to the specific proteins. But, the large undigested proteins in dairy are much harder for the body to ignore when they are leaked through to our blood. Also, foods which are GMO-foreign proteins are more reaction causing.

Also, foods HIGH in protein create more reactions. Dairy and meat, obviously are high in protein. And dairy has very large proteins to digest. We *cook* meat, which helps with digesting the proteins. Uncooked fruits and vegetables are harder to digest, unless they are vine-ripened. Then they have fewer salicylates (another chemical reaction all together). And vine-ripened produce has significantly MORE nutrients available for gut health.

Nutrient dense whole foods, whole food probiotics, and bio-available vitamins and minerals (and our nutritional reserves) all impact gut health. I'd also surmise, that you probably were Improving your health while on TED, so that although your diet was limited, the quality of the foods were WHOLE foods and the least damaging to your gut.

If however, we ate convenience foods with limited nutritional value, plus their ubiquitous chemicals, our past diet was inferior as a baseline. So, the "net" benefit of the TED may not be apparent. The LIMITED diet (TED) is damaging to OUR nutritional stores, imo. Especially if our prior diet was SAD.

That is why I believe that focusing on MANY nutrient-dense WHOLE foods, in rotation, is the path to gut healing.
We need to correct our prior damage and overcome the nutritional detriments of a limited diet.

JMO, Pat

I have a blog.
#15 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not a believer in the whole 'it's mom's fault baby reacts', that will never be the answer for everyone etc and I would focus on baby right now vs focusing on you and possibly making baby worse. There's a lot of damage that can be done etc.

What are you eating on the TED? Like someone else mentioned, not all kinds can have all the foods on the Sears TED if that's what you're using. Evan reacted to potatos and squash so we had to switch those out, I know plenty who reacted to rice. I've had 2 kids who have moved to Neocate after bfing. Sometimes just having baby drink the formula for a week can help heal them enough to go back to nursing and have the TED work. It's also VERY costly and like pp said, pretty gross, to be drinking the formula yourself. Evan went through about 15 cans a month of Neocate at his highest intake, an adult would need at LEAST twice that much, so you're looking at $1000 maybe if insurance won't cover it.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#16 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
That is why I believe that focusing on MANY nutrient-dense WHOLE foods, in rotation, is the path to gut healing. We need to correct our prior damage and overcome the nutritional detriments of a limited diet.
Pat,

This feels right to me as well. However, I am stuck on the idea of what if we react to seemingly everything except a few small foods? Do we rotate those few foods? We are eating exclusively chicken right now due to trying to limit amines. Fresh, local, organic chicken is available to us so we eat that 6x/wk and quinoa 1x/wk. How do I work around that? Do we just eat things we know we are reacting to just to have a rotation? What about probiotics? I can't seem to find one we don't react to. I suppose I really do need to figure out water kefir...

I, too, ate just vast quantities of dairy & wheat while pregnant (I also started craving - and eating - beef, which I normally loathe). I've since found out that DD1 for sure has issues with wheat & dairy and *I* definitely have my own issues. DD2 has never been directly exposed (just whatever was in my milk up to 5m when we started our elimination diet journey).

We just saw the chiro today for the first time, so I'm feeling optimistic again. I've an appt with my FPN this afternoon for my annual exam and I'm going to request bloodwork to check for parasites, heavy metals, and vit/mineral levels. I'm ready to move beyond just eliminating "trouble" foods and rudimentary gut healing... I was doing CLO, coconut oil, bone broth, probiotics, & enzymes before we went off of everything to try the FAILSAFE diet. The frustrating thing is that the FAILSAFE diet *worked* until we trialed amines. We've been trying to get back to baseline since, but I can't seem to get there again just yet. ETA: but it feels counter-intuitive b/c we went off all gut healing measures and she got better? But we also eliminated a ton of other stuff. So maybe we just uncovered another/hidden sensitivity. I'm at the second-guessing myself phase again.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#17 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I'm not a believer in the whole 'it's mom's fault baby reacts', that will never be the answer for everyone etc
No one is saying anything is anyone's "fault". And no one is saying anything is the answer for everyone.

I believe that baby and mama are interconnected beings.

Pat

I have a blog.
#18 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 03:18 PM

Menomena, I'm not well versed on amines. But, the bit that I've read seems to indicate the specific proteins sources, how they are cooked, duration of cooking, and avoiding high temperature cooking is relevant.
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...ocyclic-amines
https://www.llnl.gov/str/FoodSection3.html

This site indicates the age of the meat could impact the development of naturally occurring amines also. http://www.eklhad.net/manage-amines.html

Any chance you can get fresh beef, fresh eggs, fresh lamb, ORGAN meats? And rotate those. http://www.users.bigpond.com/mywebhome/sindex.html

It appears that beans, peas, and lentils are other sources of protein with low amines.

I also saw that the duration of cooking grains was a factor. So, the pre-soaking with an acid medium would be really important, I believe. We do the Sue Gregg blender batter method with whole grains and kefir (or ACV) overnight to help predigest the grains. http://www.suegregg.com/recipes/brea...erwafflesA.htm You could rotate grains that way AND you get more bio-available nutrients. Soaking in an acid medium breaks down the anti-nutrients on the outside of grains.

If you know you have a reaction, I'd not include it initially. But, I'd retrial it in a month, but only for a two day trial; and if no significant issue, I'd expand your diet and rotate it in.

Absolutely, WATER PROBIOTICS!! Really is easy and so important to gut healing and gut health, imo. Someone has a bottled allergen-free probiotic suggestion. Kathy kjbrown, I believe.

For testing, you probably need someone more informed than a family practice doctor (if I understood correctly). A naturopathic physician will be more schooled about holistic health diagnostics such as stool testing for parasites, hair and urine testing for heavy metals, and labs for food intolerances. Also, I would consider vit D level testing. I don't know the particular test to request. But, I doubt a regular doctor would be informed correctly about this.

Blood levels of vitamins and minerals basically test for a huge range of "non-disease level normals" (ie toxicity), not adequacy or bio-availability, from my understanding.

Check how your amines are prepared. Also, many of the commercial gut healing variables are high in amines, interestingly. But, it seems that the way they are prepared is critical. Much of the CLO is heat treated. Same with coconut oil, probiotics, enzymes and bone broths.

There are alternatives. Fermented CLO isn't heat treated. Raw virgin CO or coconut water kefir are alternatives. And I'm just not a manufactured enzyme gal. Bone broths need to be simmered at low temperatures. And depending on the freshness and preparation of the meat, the amines will vary.

Magnesium is so critical. That would be a priority. And the vit D. And vit C! Do you have a source of vit C that you take regularly?

Pat

I have a blog.
#19 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 06:14 PM

Wow Pat, well first off THANK YOU for writing all this out! I really appreciate it! I'm trying to piece together how any 'hidden' intolerances I have can be playing into this and this is helpful.

My quick backstory is that I was raised on crap food, but during college I gradually changed to what a typical Americal would consider healthy. DD is fine, no food issues to really speak of (except food dye). DS had lots and lots of issues, and the TED a year ago helped me identify the problems and as I add in foods along a 'Nourishing Traditions' vein, he is doing pretty well.

Quote:
So, net is we only react to some specific proteins (more strongly), not all undigested proteins (less frequent exposure with less developed reactivity). But, baby reacts to our undigested proteins AND our reaction (histamines) to the specific proteins. But, the large undigested proteins in dairy are much harder for the body to ignore when they are leaked through to our blood. Also, foods which are GMO-foreign proteins are more reaction causing.
This in general makes sense. I consumed immense amounts of dairy pre-pregnancy and during pregnancy. I also ate lots and lots of chicken and lots and lots of almonds though, both of which he is fine with. It makes sense in the light of dairy being harder to digest in general.... so maybe that is why he reacted specifically to dairy and not chicken or almonds.

Other things don't make as much sense though. I ate equal amounts of broccoli and carrots. He's fine with broccoli, but not carrots. I ate equal amounts of grapes and apples. Grapes are a safe fruit, apples (and most other fruits he's tried) give him a rash. I don't get that. (I've tried tying things to salicylates or other chemicals and I get nowhere.) I know nothing about GMO foods, so I will have to look into that too.

I like things to be black and white, can you tell?

Also, does this mean I should always eat this way, even after DS weans? Even though grapefruit (for example) never gave me (obvious) trouble before, I should take DS's rashes as a hint and never eat grapefruit again for my own health?

I have more questions, but I am still thinking over of all this. Thank you so much for the thorough answers Pat. (And AppletonMama, I apologize for coming into your thread with questions.)
#20 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 10:01 PM

That's so hard to say, because my old eating habits don't completely match DD's allergies either. I mean I did eat a LOT of dairy, chicken, eggs, and almonds during pregnancy and she's allergic to all of those. But other things, like sweet potato, I have never eaten before in my life (seriously ), and she's allergic to those. Or things that I didn't eat as often, like rice, pears, squash (I hated squash- hadn't had it since I was a kid)... allergic, allergic, and allergic.

#21 of 21 Old 01-19-2009, 11:12 PM

I believe that the increase in the GMO-foods is another huge variable for food intolerances. Much of our food supply is genetically engineered: strawberries, tomatoes, corn, peanuts, wheat, squash, potatoes, cotton, canola, SOY!, rice, SALMON, cucumbers, pepper, peas, grapes, cantaloupe, papaya, chicory, sunflowers, milk, rennet (in hard cheese!), etc.

https://www.mothering.com/discussions...s#post12995065

And heaviest pesticide residues: Apples, apricots, cantaloupe (Mexico), cherries (US), grapes (Chile), strawberries, peaches, pears, winter squash., potatoes, celery, peppers, spinach, soybeans, carrots, oranges, green beans, lettuce, tomatoes.

I'm a wine drinker, in moderation. So, I don't do ONLY health conscious imbibing. So, I'd eat a grapefruit if you want to.

This article about Naturally Occurring Toxins in Foods is interesting. I eat most of them too. http://www.deliciousorganics.com/Con...nightshade.htm

My focus is a large variety of nutrient-dense WHOLE foods, in moderation. And gut healing vitamins, minerals, and WHOLE food probiotics. Traditional food preparation is fascinatingly more nutritive, I'm learning.

Pat

I have a blog.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page