Allergy testing for food allergies/intolerances..? please help! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 02-02-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS has a dairy and tomato allergy/intolerance. I am not sure the difference? He reacts with a rash on his face, diaper rash, gas, green/mucousy poop....

I suspect another allergy/intolerance. I have been completely dairy/tomato free for months now, and while he does not have the rash on his face, from time to time he has green/mucousy poop, and the 'target' rash around his bum. Would this mean he has another intolerance, not allergy?

I have an appointment for him to be tested February 18th. I just cannot do an elimination diet right now.. I am so exhausted from EVERYTHING (and NOT GETTING ANY SLEEP!) I am just taking the "easy" way out. I know they plan to do the 'skin scratch' type test. I know nothing about allergy testing.

I guess my question is-- how acurate is this testing going to be? and what IS an acurate test? Will it only show if he has an allergy, but not an intolerance to some sort of food?

DS is 5 months old and exclusively breastfed. We plan to slowly introduce solids around 6 months.

If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction, that would be great, Thanks Mamas!!!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 02-02-2009, 05:05 PM

Intolerance and allergy can show many of the same symptoms. The biggest difference (usually) is that a 'true' (IgE/anaphylactic) allergy is an immediate reaction, and an intolerance (IgG) is a delayed reaction (from hours to days).

Conventional testing will not show intolerances, only IgE allergies.

If you're not up for an elimination diet, I would suggest keeping a thorough food journal. Keep track of everything that you eat, and how his symptoms change so that you can start looking for patterns. It helps if you're rotating your food, or not eating the same thing every day, to see patterns.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 8 Old 02-02-2009, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

is there any type of testing that WILL show intolerances? Should I just cancel the appointment and do an elimination diet?

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#4 of 8 Old 02-02-2009, 05:23 PM

Well, if you suspect any true allergies, I would go ahead with it. But if all reactions are delayed, it most likely won't help much.

There are alternative tests (ELISA, ALCAT, patch testing, etc.) that will show intolerances. But none are as accurate as doing elimination diets and food journaling.

#5 of 8 Old 02-02-2009, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if the reactions are delayed.... I'm thinking they are? But I don't know how long it takes for the allergen to enter into my milk, and then into him.

I think I will go ahead with the testing, and talk with the allergist about whether or not they may be allergies or intolerances, and what type of testing would be best to figure it out.... If nothing shows up, then I will do an elim diet.

#6 of 8 Old 02-02-2009, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If the skin tests show nothing, and you've seen a reaction, then they're intolerances (though allergy testing a child that young is notoriously inaccurate). Most allergists don't even believe in intolerances and even though it's not like a baby can "fake" a reaction, they'll say it's safe to eat the food, that it's just a stage, they'll grow out of it, etc.

You're exhausted if you're not getting any sleep, because his stomach is bothering him. I've been there... twice. For months, with two different kids. And it's a vicious cycle. Too tired to do anything that will help you to get your rest. Soy is the next most common one, which goes along with dairy. Then gluten. Then corn. Then egg. Eliminate one at a time until you get baseline, instead of starting at 4 foods and going up from there. Sometimes that seems easier for people.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#7 of 8 Old 02-02-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatherine185 View Post
I think I will go ahead with the testing, and talk with the allergist about whether or not they may be allergies or intolerances, and what type of testing would be best to figure it out.... If nothing shows up, then I will do an elim diet.
I think that's a great idea. Just be prepared for the allergist to tell you that food intolerances don't exist, and that if it doesn't show up on his test, your babe isn't allergic and you can eat the food all you want. None of it is true, it's just all they know from conventional training.

#8 of 8 Old 02-02-2009, 08:37 PM

yes, please listen to what CS just said. Our allergist insisted that DS's green, mucousy poop was not a big deal because his only IgE reaction was to egg. Fast forward a few months and his gut nearly shut down from all the damage. He's now on a single ingredient diet! And our allergist works at one of the leading allergy and immunology hospitals in the country- she just can't break free from her training, KWIM?

FWIW, target rash and green mucousy poop are my son's primary initial intolerance signs. I have a journal of his diet (and mine, when he was getting BM) from the day he came home from the NICU (he's now 19 months). SO tedious and it's hard to get caregivers to comply, but absolutely the BEST tool for finding the problems. We would never have suspected corn without it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page