Chat thread: Feb 21-27 - Mothering Forums

#1 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Chat Thread! Old one's here.
Welcome to anyone just joining us in the forum! There's a lot going on here lately.
For those who have been following along (and for the sake of those who are coming in) here are the threads which tend to be most relevant recently:
whoMe's MTHFR thread
changing season's "I'm done with food trials" thread
and
whoMe's methyl-what now? huh? thread

Also check out the detox guinea pig thread.

There's a LOT of technical information in those pages (and a lot of fluff too... we're not ALL work ) so remember to empty your brain before you click the links.

We are all here to help with anything we can. But remember, we're all learning alongside you too! If you find something interesting, please post a link to let us know!

I will be gone most of the day, so I fully expect to be overwhelmed when I get home. Hope you ladies are enjoying the weekend and have fun with the chat thread!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 03:18 PM

Wow, look at you- getting everything all organized for us!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yes! One more thing! A big THANK YOU goes out to Susannah M for sticky-ing our abbreviations thread. Remember to add any abbreviations you think may be helpful to it!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010

#4 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 03:23 PM

Oh sweet! I didn't even notice.

#5 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you guys are so organized. I'm still trying to catch up (on here, and on laundry, grocery shopping and everything else). I definitely have to check out a bunch of those threads. It's hard enough just keeping up with this one.

I got bentonite clay last week, and gave it to DS the night after his horrible reaction (to cross contaminated hamburger I believe). And he was okay that night (a lot of time he has a 3 day reaction). It never said which kind of Bentonite Clay it was though. I gave him 1/2 tsp. in water (he's 8yo). So I do think it helped. I'm glad I now have that in my arsenal.

I had a really cool tarot card reading while I was gone, and got a new pendulum (this one is metal so my kids can't break it). Also, I got stuff to do smudging to clear the negative energy from the house. And the lady at the shop showed me another food test, which is really cool. She said it's a form of muscle testing that anyone can do. Hold the food in both hands in front of you, at the level of your solar plexus. She said the wording of the question is important; it can't be nebulous. So I tried it when we got back to the hotel, with all sorts of food. I started with the ones for DS that I knew, to test it, and I didn't tell him what I was doing. He said "Will I react if I eat this food?" And yes is forward (toward the food) and no is backward (away from the food). You are supposed to have your eyes closed when you do it, and sometimes it's obvious and sometimes it's more subtle. He did test bad for corn (which was questionable). But it was wild. I just thought I'd throw that one out for anyone who wanted to test it themselves.

I'm so glad to be back. :

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#6 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 03:49 PM

Good morning all and happy new week to us. The sun came up bright and early this morning, I think the first vestiges of spring are on their way... though we won't see any green for a few more months up here!

Thanks everyone for contributing to this forum... I love how deeper questions are being investigated- moving beyond the symptoms and getting to the core causes. Too too cool.

Evidence that we still have work to do around here looks like this: T still has this weird trunk rash going on. It waxes and wanes like the sun, and about that rapidly. And my energy levels have REALLY decreased since I got my PPAF two weeks ago today.

At this point our food avoidance list is short... gluten, corn, sunflower, hemp, chickpeas, green beans?, tomatillos?, grapes, kiwi... is that really all?

We're using nutrient tea instead of multiple vitamins, and I crystal test several supplements to see if we need them on a daily basis. Often we add Iodoral and zinc, and sometimes Phytopharmica B-complex and TwinLab Allergy-C. Also, we're continuing to rotate in GSE and caprylic acid and probx. Oh, and then there's liquid D3 and K2.

In addition I'm using tinctures on an as needed basis: milk thistle, rhodiola, turmeric, eleuthero, motherwort, and thuja. My body likes turmeric almost daily. And chickweed when I remember after meals. Basically I just do whatever the crystal tells me to do. Often I find that we need the cell salts Nat. Mur. and sometimes Mag. Phos. We're also doing epsom salts every few days.

Wow, our regime sounds complex. My dd still has malabsorption signs... crumbling teeth, dull rough hair, and peeling fingernails. But her growth rate has normalized and her poop looks good, so I believe we're on the right track. She's using a few cell salts daily and getting liquid minerals too. She still barely eats any food at 19 months... she's a breastmilk kind of girl I guess.

I'm going through an internal revolution about consciously respecting her choice and her need to EBF instead of worrying about her not eating food. And I'm working hard on birth trauma-birth renewal with an awesome life coach.

Since I wrote my birth story and started consciously working on assimilating its lessons into my psyche... well, its really exciting stuff. Yesterday, Jody from the Compleat Mother magazine called and offered to print my story!

I guess that's about enough blathering on for our weekly update. I'm anxious to see what this week holds for us all. I love talking to you ladies every day.

Lisa

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#7 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 03:55 PM

someone asked about BIE in the last thread.

Here's my post about it

https://www.mothering.com/discussions...&highlight=bie

Day 2 of the probiotics that were apparently "okay" and he's has huge globs of just mucous in his dipe twice today - and it smells yucky.
He still has a runny nose, but there's no way it's all snot, and there is no poop with it.

I just want the mucous to go away, so I can try CS's idea of new foods more often.
I'm still drinking the kefir, still have thrush, but his yeasty rash at least looks better. Also, aside from one screaming incident last night, his sleep was okay.

DH ditched us, and I have a pile of things to do, and I just want to help my baby heal!!!!

I bought some saurkraut (can't spell right now) and I'm afraid to make the mucous worse (if that's even possible!)

Sorry I'm such a downer right now - it's hard when things keep getting worse,not better.
#8 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 03:59 PM

Thank you guys for organizing the links. I so need to read them, but emotionally, I'm so wrung out. And my brain. . . OY! It's just tired. I've decided I have to make exercise a priority so I can feel better. I'm going to go on a walk most afternoons. We all need the sunlight and fresh air and I need the walking.
#9 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 04:31 PM

Lisa- that is SO cool that they are printing your story!! Things are really moving for you guys in a positive direction.

Kathy- you totally lost me on that testing. What is supposed to go forward or backward?

#10 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mtn. mama, I recently read that red clover leaf tea increases estrogen and thus PMS. http://www.vitaminstuff.com/herbs-red-clover.html

Pat

I have a blog.
#11 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmum View Post
someone asked about BIE in the last thread.

Here's my post about it

https://www.mothering.com/discussions...&highlight=bie

Day 2 of the probiotics that were apparently "okay" and he's has huge globs of just mucous in his dipe twice today - and it smells yucky.
He still has a runny nose, but there's no way it's all snot, and there is no poop with it.

I just want the mucous to go away, so I can try CS's idea of new foods more often.
I'm still drinking the kefir, still have thrush, but his yeasty rash at least looks better. Also, aside from one screaming incident last night, his sleep was okay.

DH ditched us, and I have a pile of things to do, and I just want to help my baby heal!!!!

I bought some saurkraut (can't spell right now) and I'm afraid to make the mucous worse (if that's even possible!)

Sorry I'm such a downer right now - it's hard when things keep getting worse,not better.
mama. I know how you feel about adding something thinking it might get worse. For some reason I was drawn to go for it (sauerkraut) and I did and it's a pass. I hope it is for you too.

btw, I think we are in the same ddc, right (october 08?)

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#12 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 07:24 PM

Moving discussions over here.

and plugging my new histamine/dopamine thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
But have you told him/her yet what's up? Or had they already done some testing and/or concluding on their own?

Bad me, I need to stop posting in this thread! Jacqueline put up the new one already.
No testing yet, but I definitely impressed him by asking about family history of stroke - at least a couple of grandparents died from them.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#13 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 07:39 PM

Look what this forum is doing to me...

When did happen?

#14 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
mama. I know how you feel about adding something thinking it might get worse. For some reason I was drawn to go for it (sauerkraut) and I did and it's a pass. I hope it is for you too.

btw, I think we are in the same ddc, right (october 08?)
Thank - you... I think I'l try it tomorrow.

DS was born May 08 (I linked to an older post earlier) or I wrote his wrong age somewhere in a sleep deprived state
#15 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 07:41 PM

oops i think i have you mixed up with someone else.
anyway

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#16 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 07:43 PM

Has anyone tried the pink urine - beet test using beet kvass? Any ideas on how much I need to drink? I keep putting this off (because I've never used beets except to make kvass), and if I don't see pink for myself, is it a pass or was it an insufficient amt? I think my husband's more likely to fail than I am, but I think I should have a better idea of how much is required before I ask him to drink it (since he's not a big fan). Ideas?
#17 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Lisa- that is SO cool that they are printing your story!! Things are really moving for you guys in a positive direction.

Kathy- you totally lost me on that testing. What is supposed to go forward or backward?

You stand up and hold the food with both hands at the level of your solar plexus. You close your eyes and then ask the question. If your BODY leans forward or backward.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#18 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Has anyone tried the pink urine - beet test using beet kvass? Any ideas on how much I need to drink? I keep putting this off (because I've never used beets except to make kvass), and if I don't see pink for myself, is it a pass or was it an insufficient amt? I think my husband's more likely to fail than I am, but I think I should have a better idea of how much is required before I ask him to drink it (since he's not a big fan). Ideas?
Aren't raw beets supposed to help your liver detox? How does that fit into this mess?

No clue on whether kvass will work or not. Hmm.. since it's fermented, it might have histamine, which might muddle the results.

#19 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 08:07 PM

I was just reading the whole thing on fermented foods supporting good stomach acid levels anyway (from the other thread) and still didn't connect this.

I've read that beet kvass is supportive of detoxification, and I can report that I did that while I was nursing too, and it didn't cause my son's vitC need to go up, so I think it's more supportive than actively causing mobilization of toxins. I really didn't intend to run experiments on him and me like this, it just sorta happened. And I guess like supportive things, the effects are more subtle--I didn't have that "I feel better" effect from beet kvass, but for a while when my stomach wasn't feeling great at mealtime, it helped (made food feel less heavy--which is another reason it's probably not a pink urine/HCl test).
#20 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
You stand up and hold the food with both hands at the level of your solar plexus. You close your eyes and then ask the question. If your BODY leans forward or backward.
my mum told me about this when I told her we did NAET. Never did try it though, silly me..

I didn't pass the beet/pee test today....hopefully the sauerkraut will help
#21 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 08:46 PM

nak
I was eating pickled beets (lots) and sauerkraut everyday for the last week and a half. At first, i had VERY pink pee to the extent i thoought it was blood (sorry TMI ) within 7 days, no more pink! could my zinc have gone up that fast?

eta: what is in sauerkraut that helps?

#22 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Aaahhh- thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
nak
I was eating pickled beets (lots) and sauerkraut everyday for the last week and a half. At first, i had VERY pink pee to the extent i thoought it was blood (sorry TMI ) within 7 days, no more pink! could my zinc have gone up that fast?

Wow- that's amazing! I will have to try the beet test again soon.

I thought that the fermented stuff increases your HCl, not your zinc??

#23 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Aaahhh- thanks for clarifying.

Wow- that's amazing! I will have to try the beet test again soon.

I thought that the fermented stuff increases your HCl, not your zinc??
I think that's it. I was confused funny how eating MORE pickled beets, gets rid of the pink it caused in the first place
I also forgot to mention that yesterday ds had his first NORMAL ebf poop in months! coiniciding with my clear pee
wow IRL i'm pretty private and here I am discussing all our bodily functions on a public forum.lol

and sorry, another question. Is there a whole food equivalent to cod liver oil? would eating liver work?

#24 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
nak

cool!

Sauerkraut (all ferments?) have histamine, which promotes the release of stomach acid (HCl). You need adequate HCl to absorb zinc. You need zinc to make stomach acid.

And without stomach acid, you don't break foods down right before they get to the small intestine. So you end up setting the stage for leaky gut.

#25 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
EFA: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...trient&dbid=84

Zinc: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...rient&dbid=115

Other nutrients and their food sources (and their function/effect in our body): http://www.whfoods.com/nutrientstoc.php

"The World's Healthiest Foods" (most nutrient dense):
http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

Pat

I have a blog.
#26 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 10:27 PM

thanks Pat! I'm lovin that site too. I knew salmon was good, but why then are ppl choking down that nasty CLO when they could just eat fish :

Good thing we bought some salmon last week when they were on sale..mmm, I throw in parsley, lemon juice, garlic (lots), olive oil, salt and pepper and do it up in the food processor (not necessary though), then pour it on the salmon, cover it all up with aluminum foil and bake. : so good with potatoe wedges (same marinade), baba ghanouj on the side and sauteed frozen corn (if u can do corn) plus a garlicky/lemony salad. I know what I'm making tomorrow

#27 of 428 Old 02-21-2009, 10:33 PM

Forgot why I came to post :

I wanted to talk about tanning beds briefly. I used to tan in highschool and I absolutely LOVE tanning. It would relax me and truly make me feel like I was on cloud nine. Fast forward a few years, pregnancy/nursing made me scared to go and I've been in this depressive funk for years now. I saw someone mentioned tanning in a couple threads and I wondered ...
1. Is it safe while nursing?
2. are we talking regular commercial tanning beds?
3. how often should I go to get my vit. D levels up? (I tested a few weeks ago and it's low, don't know the exact number, but I cover year-round, so I'm sure it's really low)

There is a place near-by that has "full spectrum light saunas"..Is that better, worse, not worth the money ($30 for 1/2 hour)?

#28 of 428 Old 02-22-2009, 12:30 AM

i have a gross ques: my beet pee seems almost perfect (slightest peachy color), but does it mean bile issues if beet poop is totally beet red?
#29 of 428 Old 02-22-2009, 12:37 AM

lisa, your post is so inspiring. i love your outlook and the way you describe things ( i feel like you're in another world over there, i cant even imagine what alaska is like!).
your regimine does seem complicated!! i feel like i should be doing more over here.
dd also has peeling fingernails and, like a dodo, i never even thought about it until you just mentioned t's nails.
#30 of 428 Old 02-22-2009, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Good thing we bought some salmon last week when they were on sale..mmm, I throw in parsley, lemon juice, garlic (lots), olive oil, salt and pepper and do it up in the food processor (not necessary though), then pour it on the salmon, cover it all up with aluminum foil and bake. : so good with potatoe wedges (same marinade), baba ghanouj on the side and sauteed frozen corn (if u can do corn) plus a garlicky/lemony salad. I know what I'm making tomorrow
Thank you for this! I want to start increasing our fish intake around here, but I'm a Prairie girl. I'm used to trout, bass, perch and catfish... not salmon, tilapia, dover and sole. I have no idea what to do with ocean fish. My father always filleted, floured and fried our fresh fish. (try saying that 10 times fast ) So being told how to do it (and it being so simple!) is seriously just awesome for me!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page