"Do this, do that and you'll feel better" - Mothering Forums

#1 of 28 Old 02-26-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finally reached a breaking point with all this new information and I needed help to sort it all. My ND is AWESOME : and it's like therapy to me to be able to vent all my allergy/adrenal/thyroid/ppd frustrations to someone who 'gets it'. Anyway, I called up my ND today and they squeezed me in and I want to share the info she gave me.

No biochem stuff, just "what to take". Just FYI, I'm ebf a 4 month old and this is what she told me is safe for preg./nursing moms. *I* am personally comfortable with all of this, that said, you decide for yourself. I'm just sharing what she told me. I put *'s to indicate a disclaimer at the end of the post.

*She is big on Breath Work, Dry Skin Brushing, and Exercise (10-60min/day) and recommends this to everyone

1. One glass of room temp. water with 1tsp organic lemon juice or fresh lemon in the morning*
2. Vitamin D 3000IU (until mid-April-ish) and 400IU for babe**
3. Licorice Root Tea 1 cup
4. Brazil Nuts for selenium- only 2/day
5. Multi B Plex - 1 cap/day (includes folic acid, biotin)***
6. Supervised use of Milk Thistle tea 1-2 cups/day (2 is better)
7. Nettles Tea 1 cup/day
8. Vitamin C 3-4000mg/day
9. One or more portions of the brassica family vegetables daily - watercress broccoli, broccoli, sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts, kale, arugula, kohlrabi, radish, daikon, bok choy. Her side note: Add iodine/seaweed for thyroid support since brassica family can reduce iodine uptake****
10. Kelp 1-2 tablets/capsules (for me, thyroid probs)
11. If tolerated, have whey protein daily and other sulphur rich foods like cabbage, garlic, onions, asafoetida, beans and eggs.
12. Include glutathione-containing asparagus, avocadoes, and walnuts
13. Include high anti-oxidant foods like berries, grapes, beets, cooked tomatoes, pomegranate and organic green tea
14. Include liberal amounts of tumeric, cilantro, and walnuts in cooking
15. Fresh cilantro and parsley because they bind to metals and also detoxify
16. LOTS of water, aim to pee clear. (this also is for the kidneys)
17. Epsom salt baths for mom and child (including nursing babes)
18. Bone broths
19. Fermented veggies *at least* every day, every meal is even better

For Detoxification of Intestines:
1. One or more bowel movements daily is important, because constipation means that toxins get reabsorbed instead of efficiently eliminated
2. For fiber, take 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds daily followed by a large glass of water
3. for sluggish bowels, use exercise, good quality fish oil, 1/2 cup prune juice and/or magnesium (supervised use of mag. in pregnancy)
4. Lemonbalm, chamomile, peppermint and fennel tea soothe the intestines
5. Probiotics. If there is a family history of allergies, take in the last month of pregnancy and first 6 months of baby's life to help prevent allergies)

Kidneys:
1. Lots of water (filtered)
2. Unsweetened cranberry juice, celery, parsley and watermelon are safe diuretics

Lungs:
1. Deep breathing and exercise
2. yoga

Skin/Lymph:
1. Dry skin brushing towards the heart with a brush or rough washcloth

AVOID:
1. Saunas, detox baths and hot yoga mobilize toxins from the fat tissue so are only safe to do when NOT preg/breastfeeding
2. Stronger cleanses such as fasting, liver-gallbladder cleanses and the like should NOT be done while pregnant/bf'ing
3. Laxative herbs such as senna and cascara should be AVOIDED!

Disclaimers:
*She said if I'm worried I could do this just once a week, but that it was ok to do less than 1 glass daily if I wanted to
**I fully cover, live in a colder climate and am darker than 'fair'
***I'm 4 months postpartum, *severe* hairloss, fatigue, PPD creeping in, stress, ADD-ishness, major irritability, but this is also for detox etc etc
****I was confused about this because I'd been avoiding them because of my thyroid, but read on the detox threads that they were good...She said it's a common misconception and that you would need to eat an entire bushel of these veggies for it to have a detrimental effect on the thyroid, but eating a portion daily is not a problem

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 02-26-2009, 11:31 PM

I *love* this thread!!! (And, I rather like the title too! Thank you so much for posting all that information. I think I'm going to print it out and add it to our list inside our cupboard with our supplement schedule. Thank you thank you!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#3 of 28 Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

I was totally thinking of you with the title
I was like she's my detox-confusion soulmate

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#4 of 28 Old 02-26-2009, 11:53 PM

this is awesome, thank you! i didnt know that about the brassica family and i eat butt-loads of broc and cauli. maybe ill chill out a little:

i have read about the dry brushing in the past ( and totally forgot about it). what does it do?
#5 of 28 Old 02-27-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
I was totally thinking of you with the title
I was like she's my detox-confusion soulmate
Aww Yea, on these threads, I finally feel like I'm not alone in my utter confusion over trying to heal and detox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasmama2007 View Post
this is awesome, thank you! i didnt know that about the brassica family and i eat butt-loads of broc and cauli. maybe ill chill out a little:

i have read about the dry brushing in the past ( and totally forgot about it). what does it do?
I too LOVE the brassica family. Interestingly enough, I bought some kelp the other day at the HFS. I also have Iodoral, but I need to check with my ND about how much she wants me to try considering we haven't actually tested my thyroid, though I have all the symptoms.

#6 of 28 Old 02-27-2009, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for typing all of that out. It looks great. Caution, do not do a bunch of cilantro if you have a bunch of mercury fillings in your teeth. I caused myself serious detox headaches and brain fog for days. It was horrible. (It was in conjunction with large amounts of kombucha and the die-off was seriously miserable.)

Pat

I have a blog.
#7 of 28 Old 02-27-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Thanks for typing all of that out. It looks great. Caution, do not do a bunch of cilantro if you have a bunch of mercury fillings in your teeth. I caused myself serious detox headaches and brain fog for days. It was horrible. (It was in conjunction with large amounts of kombucha and the die-off was seriously miserable.)

Pat
I've added flower essences to my water this time around in hopes of helping diminish detox symptoms as per the recommendation of someone who is very versed in things of flower essences. : I use walnut, cherry plum, holly, and agrimony. Today wasn't the best marker of if it was working : but I hope in the long run it'll make a difference.

#8 of 28 Old 02-27-2009, 03:29 AM

Thanks so much for sharing! This is kind of what I'm unclear about. We are talking about all these detox pathways here, and so is this list here things that would be helpful for any of us? Or are there some things that you need to figure out what pathway is clogged and where or else certain things that you do could potentially be detrimental, or in the least, not helpful. I am foggy now and need to go to bed!
#9 of 28 Old 02-27-2009, 04:36 AM

:

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#10 of 28 Old 02-27-2009, 11:07 AM

Thank you thank you thank you! :

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#11 of 28 Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 AM

i have read about the dry brushing in the past ( and totally forgot about it). what does it do?[/QUOTE]

I believe dry brushing serves 2 purposes:
to move off the dead skin cells to let skin "breath" more clearly,
and to move lymph. You start brushing from the fingers and toes toward the trunk, and ultimately toward the heart. Special focus can be given to areas full of lymph nodes, the front and sides of the neck, armpits, creases where thighs meet pelvis. Lymph fluid does not have a pulse, it must be moved by motion, its flow is aided by activities like exercise or brushing. Brushing does not need to be vigorous or coarse. It can be done very gently and should feel good...
#12 of 28 Old 02-27-2009, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Thanks so much for sharing! This is kind of what I'm unclear about. We are talking about all these detox pathways here, and so is this list here things that would be helpful for any of us? Or are there some things that you need to figure out what pathway is clogged and where or else certain things that you do could potentially be detrimental, or in the least, not helpful. I am foggy now and need to go to bed!
Honestly, I couldn't tell ya. She gave me some specific dosages to take --for me--like the Vit. D for example, and most of this is from a GENERAL handout she gives to pregnant/nursing moms.

I never got into it about specific pathways. I literally said ok tell me what to do, because I can't figure it out anymore.

It was worth every cent to have this peace of mind. Maybe when my head is in a better place I'll revisit the biochem of it all, but that's not what I need at this point in my life.

As I mentioned, they squeezed me in between her other appointments, so at the end it was kind of rushed, but I will email her once I read through everything again and then ask some questions/clarification on a few things and report back if it's anything significant.

HTH!

#13 of 28 Old 02-27-2009, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

friendly bump because more ppl are online now

#14 of 28 Old 02-27-2009, 11:52 PM

Bumping this back up as I had to go looking for it.

And a question: can someone remind me again as to the purpose of Milk Thistle and Nettle? Is it for the liver? Detox? Adrenal support?

#15 of 28 Old 02-28-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBeIt View Post
I believe dry brushing serves 2 purposes:
to move off the dead skin cells to let skin "breath" more clearly,
and to move lymph. You start brushing from the fingers and toes toward the trunk, and ultimately toward the heart. Special focus can be given to areas full of lymph nodes, the front and sides of the neck, armpits, creases where thighs meet pelvis. Lymph fluid does not have a pulse, it must be moved by motion, its flow is aided by activities like exercise or brushing. Brushing does not need to be vigorous or coarse. It can be done very gently and should feel good...[/quote]

thank you! maybe dh can be of assistance here
#16 of 28 Old 02-28-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Bumping this back up as I had to go looking for it.

And a question: can someone remind me again as to the purpose of Milk Thistle and Nettle? Is it for the liver? Detox? Adrenal support?
Milk Thistle is for liver support. Nettles are high in lots of good nutritive minerals! More on nettles here.

Thanks for sharing your ND appt. with all of us!!!
#17 of 28 Old 02-28-2009, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

You are VERY welcome. I seriously was thinking of all of you while I was there and I couldn't wait to get back and share!

I just wanted to add in case anyone wondered..I specifically asked her which multivitamin to take and she said there is no point at this stage since I'd only absorb about 30% of it anyway. Nettles she told me before at a prior appt is full of good stuff and she recommends for adrenal support as well as the liver.

oh and she originally recommended milk thistle tea to a friend who I took to see her due to addiction issues (cocaine)..she's been clean for a year now, but I really wanted to take her to figure out the whys and help her from relapsing at a later time..anyway the ND was so encouraging and told her this stuff (the milk thistle tea) will pretty much give you a new liver. It was funny, on the way home we were all saying "woohoo! here's to a new liver!"

#18 of 28 Old 02-28-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
You are VERY welcome. I seriously was thinking of all of you while I was there and I couldn't wait to get back and share!

I just wanted to add in case anyone wondered..I specifically asked her which multivitamin to take and she said there is no point at this stage since I'd only absorb about 30% of it anyway. Nettles she told me before at a prior appt is full of good stuff and she recommends for adrenal support as well as the liver.

ETA: just surprised! i knew i wasn't absorbing well, but wow!
#19 of 28 Old 02-28-2009, 12:56 AM

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. Why does it say supervised use of milk thistle tea? There is milk thistle in the mothers milk tea that I drink (I am nursing). Should I be concerned?
#20 of 28 Old 02-28-2009, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Not sure what the exclamation means. I didn't ask much beyondthat because I hate swallowing pills and I'm eating better than ever anyway

and about the supervised milk thistle, I don't know. It said that on the handout. But she was perfectly ok with me taking it. I read milk thistle can be used to increase milk supply so not sure. Maybe supervised so moms who are nursing or pregnant just don't over do it?

#21 of 28 Old 02-28-2009, 03:41 PM

Thank you for sharing

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#22 of 28 Old 02-28-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

I meant to post this earlier. Here is the Multi B Plex she wanted me to take specifically.

#23 of 28 Old 03-09-2009, 12:36 AM

Do you know if there are any circumstances where it would NOT be safe to use natural things like lemon and cilantro while breastfeeding? DD is SUPERsensitive, and I don't know how strong these are at detoxing, whether some with a meal used in normal recipe amounts would do anything bad at all?
#24 of 28 Old 03-09-2009, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

nak
I personally don't know. My ds is very sensitive too and he has been having detox symptoms (nothing severe) but I'm doing all this under my ND's supervision, so you might want to check with a health care practitioner.

#25 of 28 Old 03-09-2009, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowjello View Post
Do you know if there are any circumstances where it would NOT be safe to use natural things like lemon and cilantro while breastfeeding? DD is SUPERsensitive, and I don't know how strong these are at detoxing, whether some with a meal used in normal recipe amounts would do anything bad at all?

If you have mercury fillings in your teeth, you want to avoid cilantro, on a regular basis, imo. I do. But, I'm ok with lemon in my water, and I'm sure I have mercury stores all over the place.

My understanding is that the lemon helps to alkalize the blood, and helps with stomach acid. The concern is for nursing mamas to have lemon first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach followed by a meal heavy in fats, I believe.

We juice a lemon with our green juice in the morning.

Pat

I have a blog.
#26 of 28 Old 03-09-2009, 05:04 PM

:

Subbing (for the very first time!) and interested because my naturopath recommended many of the same things.

Lisa treehugger.gif married to DH bikenew.gifsince Aug 07 & mom to DS1 blahblah.gif  born May 08 and DS2 babyboy.gif born Nov 10 homebirth.jpg
#27 of 28 Old 03-09-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
and about the supervised milk thistle, I don't know. It said that on the handout. But she was perfectly ok with me taking it. I read milk thistle can be used to increase milk supply so not sure. Maybe supervised so moms who are nursing or pregnant just don't over do it?
Do you have any information on how nursing/pregnant moms don't overdo milk thistle? I was thinking about starting some supplements to support my liver, but I'm still nursing and don't want to overdo anything!!
#28 of 28 Old 09-30-2010, 12:35 AM

i stumbled across this old thread...very helpful, maybe it will help someone else!

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page