Questions - Yeast overgrowth and WAP for children with allergies? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 03-01-2009, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have two children who have food allergies and yeast overgrowth. I am just wanting to talk to btdt parents for suggestions like supplements, tx, and ideas.

The other thing I would like to know is how in the world am I a supposed to get my children enough vitamin A & D and Omega 3's with the allergies that they have. Fish, milk, nuts (incl. coconut), seeds (incl. sunflower and sesame), gluten, and eggs. I am trying to incorporate organ meats like liver, heart, and kidney, a vit D supplement and flaxseed oil, but is there anything else? The flax is difficult because it says that it shouldn't be heated at all and I would like to put it over their foods. My son has a cavity, and I know that it is a mineral deficiency. I think that I've covered all of the vitamins except A pretty well.

The WAP thing is very frustrating to incorporate - as great as it is - when everything suggested is an allergen.

I'm working with a naturopath now, because I've come to the end of my ropes with my reg. doctor and my own limited (but growing) knowledge to heal my children.

Thanks, I'm kind of frustrated, kind of nervous, and feeling a bit of powerlessness as a result of my lack of knowledge regarding all the things surrpunding food allergies and immune system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-01-2009, 03:14 AM

s: to you mama, I can totally relate, worried about making good choices.

For the yeast, we have been helped a lot by a probiotic called Threelac that we buy on Ebay. Also my ND added to that one called Florastor, which we took for just a month. Diet changes have been essential. Are you already off sugars and simple carbs?
#3 of 8 Old 03-01-2009, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We don't have as many allergens, working around your list would be difficult. I'd feel frustrated too. We also use supplements for some of this, I give the kids a mineral supp to help--yes, we should just get it from food, but especially since our move, I'm hit-or-miss on making stock. :

My daughter's poop tends to get yeasty--it's not really bad, but it's more of a tendency than my son has. Daily kimchee works great at keeping her poop right, though we need to do it with at least 2 meals per day. And I throw in an assortment of other fermented veggies as well, because they're all so tasty.

I think there's someone here with a fish allergy whose child still tolerates CLO--I mean, don't try it if you think it's risky, but maybe it's something to consider.

Are legumes okay? For a while I was making hummus (I mostly skipped the sesame portion, so I guess it's not real hummus) and adding flax oil to that. And I'd think pouring a bit on warm food, when it's at a temp that's ready to eat would be okay--it's going to be at 98.6-ish pretty soon thereafter.

And welcome to the party! That sounds sorta flip, but the discussions lately have been fascinating.

#4 of 8 Old 03-01-2009, 05:18 AM

I basically have your list, minus fish and seeds. (Gluten, dairy, egg, nuts/coconut/peanut, strawberry and soon-to-be soy free- some are for DS1 and some for DS2, so that does make it a little easier, unless I'm making something I want to be safe for everyone.
I'll come back tomorrow to see if I can help. I'm going to bed while my head's *not* hurting.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#5 of 8 Old 03-01-2009, 04:43 PM

Remember that vitamin A is in the form of beta-carotene in plant sources and so needs to be *converted* into vitamin A. This process is inhibited in some people (I haven't found out *why* yet) so animal sources may be preferred.
Here's a link about Vitamin A.
I use Rice Chex for breading and instead of bread crumbs for things sometimes. It's fortified with vitamins and, although it might not be much, it's still something (my opinion ).
When making poultry of any kind, use the giblets (kidney, heart and liver) to make broth for gravy and then chop them into tiny pieces to "hide" in the stuffing (make sure that the bile sac is removed from the liver or else it gets really gross). If you have a meat grinder, grind up liver to "sneak" into ground meat dishes (meatloaf, meat balls etc)- this works best if you're making something with a sauce. I also add grated carrots to my ground meat dishes as a "filler". I make a lot of tomato-based dishes.

We rely on a D3 supplement. Even when we were eating fortified foods (read: dairy), our vitamin D was *way* too low (we don't eat fish often at all- I was raised inland and fish was kind of a delicacy). I'm not sure if it's derived from fish though. The one by Thorne- 5,000 IU- says it's "vegetarian" (not that that means anything.. I'd probably contact the company or ask your ND to find out for you). I also have a 10,000IU one which my ND orders for me (only available to health care professionals)- again no clear idea of the source.

If you check out WHFoods list of Omega-3 sources (very bottom of page), you may be pleasantly surprised as to what foods do have omega 3s. It has a lot of spices (cloves, oregano, mustard seed), leafy greens, cauliflower and squashes....
If you're worried about cavities, I would look at mineral deficiencies rather than vitamins. You might be benefited by trying to wrap your head around the current detox craze that has hit this forum.

Do you ever eat beets? If you do, does your pee go pink? If it does, the first thing you should consider is increasing your zinc intake (and maybe eating some fermented foods daily- many of the ladies here use Bubbie's rather than making their own sauerkraut). This will help your body to produce more stomach acid, which will allow you to digest your food better and therefor absorb more nutrients from it.

Hope that's some help.
And welcome to the forum!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#6 of 8 Old 03-01-2009, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

JacquelineR,
Thanks so much for the links they were exactly what I needed.

I don't know about the beets and my pee, but I know that dd's does turn a little pink - I thought that that was normal and that it was just a whole lot of red going in not to come out.

I have been snooping around the forums and noticed that alot of people are in the detox thing. I can't quite grasp what is going on. I'm going to keep reading, but if anyone would like to cue me in on what the deal is, I will accept the short cut. In anyways, I grateful to have found this forum. I have learned alot already.

Especially linking the children's allergies to the mom's leaky gut. My intuition was telling me that my milk was the issue and the common denomonator. I have three weeks to build up my gut before the baby comes. At which time, I'll be given some antibiotics as the result of the c-section, and I'll have to rebuild my gut again and continue from there. I'm going to be upgrading my probiotic and I take CLO. Is there anything else I should be doing?
#7 of 8 Old 03-02-2009, 12:06 AM

Floating around somewhere in here is a huge thread on CSS- C-section syndrome. I haven't looked at it (because I've been lucky enough to avoid a scalpel while delivering *knock on wood*) but I"m sure there is a good deal of information there, and I'm sure that if you asked outright, someone in the thread would be able to answer you better.
Basically, the starting point is the beet test for the detox thing. You might also want to do some of the other "home tests" for other mineral deficiencies... Thread here.
The detox stuff is really deep. I only partially grasp it myself. There are links somewhere to "simplified" versions, so to speak. I plan to track them down at some point.

ETA: bone broths, kefir (there's a water kefir)... If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

#8 of 8 Old 03-02-2009, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
re: the detox thing, it matters if your kids have IgG or IgE allergies, because the detoxification/liver function thing is about IgG reactions. My fuzzy understanding is that when our livers aren't detoxifying properly, and when our guts are leaky (I think you need both to some degree, though the balance of how much of each is involved seems quite different from person-to-person), that's when our bodies start making IgG antibodies to foods. Some folks have been having really good look introducing foods (sometimes lots, quite quickly) as they have started trying to puzzle out what parts of their detoxification pathways are bogged down, and supplementing the things involved to speed up that portion.

re: vitamin or mineral deficiencies or both, I guess it's individual, for me and the kids, we've had both pretty significantly, and we need to supplement more on the fat-soluble vitamin side than anything else (CLO and we use Thorne's liquid K2 supp, though I think it is in a coconut oil base), but we basically supplement a whole lot with pills, in addition to trying to work in good foods (I work harder at some times than others .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page