Help with Eczema and allergy testing? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 04-01-2009, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 11 month old dd just started showing signs of eczema in the past month. It started on her back and tummy and now is moving to her face. I am dairy free and wheat/gluten free x 2 + weeks as of today, but dd is still showing no improvement, and had her first facial eczema show up today.

Things we have done so far:

*eliminate dairy and wheat/gluten
*bath at night to wash off the day--brief in lukewarm water---then immediately moisturize with California Baby Calendula Cream.
* keeping her in 100% cotton clothing washed in detergent and VERY LITTLE softener with a second rinse.

I would really like to get her tested since I have NO IDEA what can be causing it. But, I have no idea where to start...which testing is best for this type of reaction?

Can anyone guide me along? Will they test an 11 month old?

she is not vaxxed and is 99% breastfed. We do allow her to chew on carrots or apples, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-02-2009, 01:17 AM

Soy is another very common trigger. Did you by any chance replace your dairy products with soy?

Are you watching out for hidden dairy?

Have you noticed any improvements after taking out gluten and dairy?

I would start a detailed food journal- write down everything that she eats (and you, since you're BFing) and every symptom you see- from digestive and skin issues to sleep and behavior changes.

Oh- and I would skip the fabric softener altogether. That leaves a residue on the clothing which can irritate the skin.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 6 Old 04-02-2009, 01:26 AM

My daughter has eczema most of her first year. At one year old she broke out in hives when she had a taste of cow milk. We got her to an allergist as soon as we could get an appointment. She tested positive to milk, eggs, peanuts and peas. I never would have guessed the peas. She hadn't liked the strained peas but was apparently getting them in mixed vegetable. Within a couple weeks of eliminating these things from her diet her eczema was gone.

Vinegar is a good fabric softener and washes away.

#4 of 6 Old 04-02-2009, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

I am using almond milk as a cows milk replacement when necessary. Have been diligent about hidden dairy. I am sure I am still ingesting soy here and there as it is in so much.

Any suggestions on a good easy allergy test for my dd? I am pretty positive I want to have her tested so I can at least feel like I am on the right track...

?

TIA
#5 of 6 Old 04-02-2009, 01:56 AM

Check out my blog (link in sig) for different allergy tests. If it's causing eczema (and not hives) it's most likely a delayed-reaction allergy/intolerance, which will not show up on conventional allergy testing. Plus, conventional testing is really unreliable before about the age of 2.

An elimination diet and food journal really are the most accurate way to determine food allergies.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#6 of 6 Old 04-02-2009, 02:04 AM

We did a full elimination diet with dd2 who had the same problem as yours...if I remember correctly, here's the list of foods to remove:

dairy
soy/legumes/peanuts
eggs
corn
wheat
berries
citrus
nuts
shellfish
nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers)

I would suggest not washing every day, as the drying out will aggravate the eczema...and definitely get rid of the softener.

Um...slippery elm was recommended to give as a supplement. We mixed it with organic apple juice concentrate.

Good luck - it's no fun, but once you find the trigger(s), it is amazing what a difference it makes! FWIW, our dd2 was sensitive to wheat - even just the wheat in soy sauce would make her break out, but by age 3.5 she outgrew it and today at 5 eats everything!

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page