competing vitamins - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 05-20-2009, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I don't post here much but I try to read as much as I can.. but that's not everything, so i apologize if my question is repetitive.

I've been reading about supping vitamins and minerals to increase detox pathways, and I thought I've read here that some vitamins and minerals can compete for absorption, so it's not a good idea to take them together, but I can't find more information on that.

The ones I remember reading about are B5 competing w/ B12 and B6.. I take a multi w/ a whole slew of B vitamins in it, but I was supping B6 and B12.. Well, i need to replenish and I'd like to lose the multi, so I was looking at Thorne's b complex which has folate, but it has the B5, B6, and B12 in it.. so are they okay to take together or not?

Secondly, calcium and magnesium.. I've read that they can compete for absorption and cause an issue w/ bowel tolerance if taken together? I haven't been able to find more info on that..

Are there other vitamins and minerals that should be taken separately?

TIA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 05-20-2009, 02:11 PM

I don't know about the B vitamins, so I will be curious to hear about that as well.

I do know about the calcium and mag though. What I've read is that mag has to be taken with calcium for proper absorption, BUT they will compete for absorption and only one will win (usually the calcium.) So I take a calcium citrate supplement that also has mag in it in the morning, and that is strictly to supp myself with calcium. Then I take a separate mag supplement at night (I make sure not to take them anywhere near each other.)

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 15 Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 PM

High doses of B5 create issues for B2 and biotin. I have 100mg B5 in my B complex, and don't seem to be having issues with that. I do extra biotin anyway, though (spread out), and take my extra B5 separate from everything else.

For us, the riboflavin issues were pretty obvious: bright red lips in dd, chapped lips/cracking corners of the mouth/peeling skin around the nose in me, all exacerbated by vit A. Separating the two fixed it. Biotin's a bit sneakier, though, and has more to do with balance of EFAs and making coA.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!

#4 of 15 Old 05-21-2009, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

okay, thank you.. i think i get it...
#5 of 15 Old 05-21-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
. What I've read is that mag has to be taken with calcium for proper absorption, BUT they will compete for absorption and only one will win (usually the calcium.) )
This is my understanding, and that is why some Cal/Mag supplements have twice the magnesium in them--or at least some used too.

I'd guess probably more substances interfere with other's absoprtion that we realize.

I do know that zinc can inhibit copper absorption, and Iron and calcium also compete for absorption, which can be challenging for pregnant and nursing mamas. It is silly for multivitamins to contain both iron and calicum, because hardly any of either gets absorbed, and they take up a lot of physical space in the vitamin. It seems like a marketing gimick to me, i.e., most people would consider it an inferior product if it did not have iron and calcium, two of the main minerals people are trying to boost up.
#6 of 15 Old 05-21-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Biotin's a bit sneakier, though, and has more to do with balance of EFAs and making coA.
Can you explain this please? Sorry if I'm just being dim! Thanks!
#7 of 15 Old 05-21-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenzero View Post
Can you explain this please? Sorry if I'm just being dim! Thanks!
For me, when I started supping biotin, I was able to drop my digestive enzymes - it brought back my ability to digest carbs. That's the only thing I noticed. I only have a guess as to how it did that.

Biotin is used to change between some fatty acids, and to transport pieces of coenzyme A across the mitochondria membrane so that you can utilize it. I'm actually still pretty hazy on the other details. What I *can* tell you is that it's needed to convert between some of the EFAs, and when you have a bad balance of omega 6's and omega 3's, supping lots of extra biotin can allow your body to straighten out the balance. The reason it's important to have the right balance of EFAs is because the wrong balance can cause inflammation. Inflammation is a nonspecific immune response. And chronic inflammation seems to be one of the core reasons we're all in this food intolerance mess.

Was that too much info? In short, biotin is good for reducing inflammation and inflammation can cause a million different symptoms. That makes it really hard to identify what a biotin deficiency actually looks like, which makes it hard to know if the pantothenic acid is interfering too much.

And just in case you're like me, when I first read about inflammation, I ignored it as a buzzword that was just dumbed down science. I'm learning about it now in anatomy and physiology. It's the real deal

#8 of 15 Old 05-21-2009, 08:47 PM

inflammation is the root of all problems
#9 of 15 Old 05-21-2009, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

whoMe, how did you figure out how much b5 and biotin you needed?
#10 of 15 Old 05-21-2009, 09:25 PM

lots of luck and the stars being in alignment

The clinic that diagnosed me with adrenal fatigue put me on 1000mg B5, and the bottle of biotin I bought had 5mg/cap. If the B5 isn't doing its thing, that means I need more mag. I'm already doing B6. B6 is also important for the same reasons biotin is, and more. And the rest of the B's are important to balance out.

From one of PB's posts, I decided to up my biotin (10mg now) and haven't noticed an obvious effect from it, but after a month or so, when I tried to back off, I started doing worse again. (This was before learning about EFAs and inflammation.) So now I'm back to 10mg.

#11 of 15 Old 05-21-2009, 09:40 PM

Biotin causes my skin to break out. Does anyone know what is happening?

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#12 of 15 Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riomidwife View Post
inflammation is the root of all problems

And whole food probiotics is the panacea. (I don't find a tongue-in-cheek smilie.)

Pat

I have a blog.
#13 of 15 Old 05-21-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
Biotin causes my skin to break out. Does anyone know what is happening?
I have it in my brain that biotin is connected to yeast killing (I may be completely wrong here, so don't quote me), so maybe die-off?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#14 of 15 Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I have it in my brain that biotin is connected to yeast killing (I may be completely wrong here, so don't quote me), so maybe die-off?
Yes, biotin is what the body uses to control yeast so I would agree.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#15 of 15 Old 05-22-2009, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

light bulb!!! i need biotin!!!

thanks so much!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page